Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

The American predilection towards large trucks, and especially towards those of domestic design/labeling, is one of those quirks of "American Exceptionalism" that paces the dialog on culture and national identity.

My opinion is that the larger Japanese trucks don't differ much from most models of the half-ton American trucks, just as most offerings from Cadillac don't differ much from those of Lexus. In today's automotive industry, across most vehicle-classes and price-points, one nation's advantage over another is small, and declining further. Brand loyalty far outstrips actual differences in quality or performance. But with full-sized trucks, brand-loyalty is especially intense.

But the above notwithstanding, the Big-3 American manufacturers do have one notable advantage: they build 3/4-ton and 1-ton (2500 and 3500 series) trucks, and even larger. Imported trucks are limited to the 1/2-ton (1500) range. American monopoly of heavier-duty trucks is important not merely for that market, but for image and brand-identity. The half-ton trucks might be comparable amongst all manufacturers, but if Toyota or Nissan don't offer a 3500-series truck, they appear effeminate and insincere in their attempt to penetrate the US truck market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
The chicken tax argument really doesn't hold too much water anymore. Plenty of foreign branded vehicles built in the US/NA.

I see it as three main issues:

1. Lack of HD trucks. If you want a 2500+ truck, American is the only option. The Ford F-150 isn't the best selling vehicle in America, the F-SERIES is. HD truck are a big chunk of the market.

2. Dealer network. A lot of trucks are bought by folks living in rural areas. The only car DEALER within 50 miles of them might be a Ford/GM. Foreign dealers just don't have as good of a rural dealer network. No one wants to drive 200mi round trip for service.

3. Fleet sales/service network. Almost all fleet vehicles are American branded. They go for the volume game. You hardly ever see any fleet Tundras/Titans, that's for a reason. Nissan doesn't even make a regular-cab fleet-spec Titan.

A couple other contributing factors:

Brand loyalty/pride

Focus- The bread and butter of Japanese carmakers are sedans and small/mid sized suvs, typically 4/6 cyl. This is their focus. For american makes, it's large SUVs, Trucks and Sports/Muscle cars with big V8s. Each has their own strengths.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:29 PM

563 posts, read 524,392 times
Toyota's are too expensive! Ford makes an awesome truck too, and at a much better price. In America "F.O.R.D."is how you spell small truck. Duh!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:04 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
I don't know if this is still true or not. I was at our autoshow about 4-5 years ago and was looking at a top Tundra, price was $65k. I then walked over to a F-350 four door, King Ranch edition leather, every option with a diesel for $65k. Why would I buy a 1/2 ton with tons less power, strength, and towing for same price as a 1 ton diesel?!?!

I thought I read within last year that Toyota was somewhat planning to discontinue the Tundra because of lackluster sales?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
[quote=incognitoe;40169056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

Unless the Ram won, and then u'd be like, "see, this is proof America is #1".

Tundra can tow a freaking rocketship. The Ram just sits there with no traction. Just like their Commercials, "Like a Rock". LOL
Yeah, not quite. There are videos like this all over the web pitting manufacturer A against manufacturer B. All are equally meaningless. Do the same thing with 2 identical Toyota Tundras and the net result is the same. Does that somehow make one Tundra better than the other?

Btw, "like a rock" is Chevy's tagline, not Dodge-Ram's.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
[quote=Cleveland_Collector;40190260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post

Yeah, not quite. There are videos like this all over the web pitting manufacturer A against manufacturer B. All are equally meaningless. Do the same thing with 2 identical Toyota Tundras and the net result is the same. Does that somehow make one Tundra better than the other?

Btw, "like a rock" is Chevy's tagline, not Dodge-Ram's.
Like a rock sung by Michigan born Bob Seger who still lives in Michigan today, now another Detroit native singing for Chevy trucks comercial his name is Kid Rock still lives in Michigan also.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
You are wrong about MT not having any registered Teslas-http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/analysis/drive-by-numbers-tesla-in-all-50-states.html

I live in Bozeman and there is a new Tesla Charging station at the Hilton Garden Suites.
All I am going on saying none were registered, was recently the Billings Gazette had an article about them putting charging stations for Tesla in the state for out of state Tesla drivers driving through. The article quoted the DMV stating there was not one Tesla registered in the state at that time, and they should know. The article you gave a link to, is 2 to 3 years ago registrations. It seems odd that if there are a few Tesla registrations in the state, that the Montana DMV does not know about them. Either that, or they proved to be so useless in Montana that the owners got rid of them.

Also the quoted link, says there are a number of them in Wyoming. A very recent news article was, that Wyoming finally had a Tesla registered in the state. So who do you trust, that link, or the DMV in two states.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,629 times
Because they are more practical trucks and have a better design. Foreign trucks are funny looking. New American pickups look rather ridiculous in my opinion as well but not nearly as bad as the foreign ones. Driving a foreign pick up just screams POSER.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I own a 2009 Tundra and it suits my needs just fine. There are times I wish I would have got the 5.7 engine, but only for the 6 speed automatic (mine has 4.7 w/ 5spd auto). Frankly I got the Tundra because I feel it's more reliable in the long run and holds it's value better. I drive an F-150 with the 5.4 sometimes for work and it feels like junk compared to my Toyota, its also very underpowered.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Because they are more practical trucks and have a better design. Foreign trucks are funny looking. New American pickups look rather ridiculous in my opinion as well but not nearly as bad as the foreign ones. Driving a foreign pick up just screams POSER.
This is exactly why. Ignorance.

However, as more people become informed, and ACTUALLY drive one, they can see how much better the Tundra is.

I mean, go watch the comparison video. The Ford has plastic gas tank which can puncture, wires dangling all over the place and engine the catches on file for no reason. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive