Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

7 Trucks That Might Be Imported to the United States Soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
I doubt we will ever see many of those. The only one I have even heard a small rumor about is the VW. Ford is never bringing the global ranger here, it would cut in the sales of the F150 too much. Holden is shutting down manufacturing. The Merc/Hyundai arn't even confirmed models. A Indian car would never sell in this country, even if it were super cheap. If we don't have the Defender i doubt the Land Cruiser 70 would come over either.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 AM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
They've been talking about the VW Amarok for a number of years.

So don't hold your breath waiting.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Most of those do not look like trucks to me! (Rather mall shopping carts.)

I'd like to see one carrying a refrigerator or bale of hay in the back...

Old 07-05-2015, 10:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
I doubt you see any of them and the writer obviously has no clue. Mark Fields of Ford has said the same thing Mually did- the Ranger is not coming back. And why would it. Sales in that segment are not blazing hot. The Colorado, while a new unit and should have blazing sales, has only been mediocre at best and just barely out selling the Frontier. Add the Canyon to the total and GM is selling about 60% of Tacoma. And Taco sales are falling like a rock. The Indian truck will not pass any crash testing nor will it pass any emissions standards. Of the seven listed, the Hyundai, the Volkswagen, and possibly Holden are the only ones capable of making the transition. The Holden would have to go thru a complete redesign but it's due anyway. But GM would be pretty stupid to bring it to the states to compete with itself. This is just not a hot enough segment for more players. Ford and Ram are making great strides with their full size rigs, why bring in a lower profit unit to try to sell into a segment that there is little demand. Its a lot like the diesel half ton truck, everybody wants one until it's time to put the money on the table. Ask any Ram dealer about that one.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Quote:
4. Holden Commodore Ute
All you need to see to know that this is a bunk article.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
yeah, the possibility of any of those trucks making the US market are small at best.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,344 times
Those are not trucks they look like the old EL Camino or the Explorer sport Trac , remember the Honda Ridgeline that truck wantabe. Nothing comes close to the big3 pickups.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I doubt you see any of them and the writer obviously has no clue. Mark Fields of Ford has said the same thing Mually did- the Ranger is not coming back. And why would it. Sales in that segment are not blazing hot. The Colorado, while a new unit and should have blazing sales, has only been mediocre at best and just barely out selling the Frontier. Add the Canyon to the total and GM is selling about 60% of Tacoma. And Taco sales are falling like a rock. The Indian truck will not pass any crash testing nor will it pass any emissions standards. Of the seven listed, the Hyundai, the Volkswagen, and possibly Holden are the only ones capable of making the transition. The Holden would have to go thru a complete redesign but it's due anyway. But GM would be pretty stupid to bring it to the states to compete with itself. This is just not a hot enough segment for more players. Ford and Ram are making great strides with their full size rigs, why bring in a lower profit unit to try to sell into a segment that there is little demand. Its a lot like the diesel half ton truck, everybody wants one until it's time to put the money on the table. Ask any Ram dealer about that one.
I disagree. There is demand. Basically every teenage and college guy in my part of the country owned or wanted a Ranger or S-10. Ford is hurting themselves long-term by ignoring the young male marketing segment. So it might be less profit selling a Ranger (which I doubt because they will sell high-end XLT and special edition versions that retail for $30K) but you're winning over that buyer for Ford for their next 2 or 3 purchases. Also, there's a big-time demand for trucks with better fuel economy. I've talked with several adults in the delivery and construction business that don't need a full size truck but are forced to because of the lack of availability of a sensible smaller pickup.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Need a Diesel HiLux and that should cover much of USA. (as it does the rest of the world)
Hilux. Unstoppable since 1968.
Well, Here's What A Genuine Toyota Hilux Diesel Sells For In America

Big three can keep the FS market. (That is what I use due to towing 22,000# over rough terrain)

I doubt the USA needs more 'girlie trucks'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive