Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Someone that drives a pickup is worried about MPG!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't think they could've done better?

If anything, we don't have much of a choice in this country when it comes to selection.
All those lower, more aerodynamic, small pickups in other countries are absent over here.

Instead, it's all about catering to the bro/manly man demographic that's prevalent on this rock.
There's time where I like having the best of both worlds.

If they still made the Subara Outback with the pickup bed and manual, I would've been all over that in a heartbeat.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
It's so funny how some truck buyers and car buyers want what the other has. Honda drivers would never own a truck but they will try to load up their little matchbox car with lumber sticking out the windows at home depot

Then you have truck owners who simply use it to drive and never haul anything and complain about gas mileage

You can't have it all. A truck is a truck and real truck owners don't buy one for fuel mileage. It's like a boat owner complaining how much gas costs to use it...it doesn't make sense.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Instead, I'm routinely seeing about maybe 18-20 mpg if I'm lucky on 200-300 mile trips, and I never floor it or go over the speed limit either.
Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for you but I will echo the above thought. My 2WD, automatic transmission, V6 Silverado work truck only got about 16mpg city/highway combined and could barely haul its own weight up some of the steep grades in the mountains of AZ. Despite the fact that it only had 120k miles or so, the dash was cracked and rattled a lot. It just seemed like a real piece of junk.

I had a V6 Tacoma years ago that averaged 22mpg. Maybe look at one of those if you can afford one.

How much weight are you towing??? People buy full sized pickup trucks and then never haul anything heavier then a motorcycle or couple of 2X4's. Why not buy an S-10 or Tacoma unless you just need the bed space. Or how about a Subaru Outback plus a trailer and trailer hitch? They have a 2500lb towing capacity. I know you said you're stuck with it but just be patient and get rid of it ASAP.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM

My 1997 Chevy Tahoe gets 13 city 17 highway and i never complain. It has the legendary 5.7 350 engine and it's 4x4

If I was only concerned with transporting myself and gas mileage i would get a motorcycle.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
It's so funny how some truck buyers and car buyers want what the other has. Honda drivers would never own a truck but they will try to load up their little matchbox car with lumber sticking out the windows at home depot

Then you have truck owners who simply use it to drive and never haul anything and complain about gas mileage

You can't have it all. A truck is a truck and real truck owners don't buy one for fuel mileage. It's like a boat owner complaining how much gas costs to use it...it doesn't make sense.
A trailer hitch and a small utility trailer is a lot cheaper than a truck and the fueling costs if the truck needs are occasional. I am surprised more people don't do this with small cars instead of driving an under utilized truck.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
A trailer hitch and a small utility trailer is a lot cheaper than a truck and the fueling costs if the truck needs are occasional. I am surprised more people don't do this with small cars instead of driving an under utilized truck.
I personally don't care if someone doesn't use their own truck to it's full potential just don't complain about the gas mileage it gets.

Lots of people live in oversized houses that they don't need too but that's their choice.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Well, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I decide to make any switches.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:

Not necessarily "worried" about mpg... but if you can find a truck that fits the need that gives you the most mpg you can get out of it, why not? My truck gets better fuel mileage than some cars (better than most fullsize gas burner trucks), has a lot more HP and torque, is bigger, and should last a lot longer. Why not work to improve it? I need the truck, but like some sort of fuel efficiency if available.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
I've heard that trucks aren't made to go fast...yet, Ford sold every one of the SVT Lightnings they cranked off the assembly line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive