Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

I turn on my hazard lights, slow and stop for every thing bigger then a bug. I generally don't swerve, much. The only thing I ever remember hitting in my life are prairie dogs in western Colorado. Because there are just so damn many of them, and even if you stop, it's not like the dumb things will get out of your way. They just sit there no matter what, and if you swerve around one, you will just hit another one. So I just drove on, thud, thud, thud, thud... mile, after mile.

The closest encounter I have had recently was a bald eagle here in Oregon. I came around a bend, and there it was right in the middle of the highway eating some previous road kill. I slowed down, it still didn't move so I applied my brakes to stop. At that point it took off and flew right at my windshield, then swooped over the roof of my car. That was scary. The wing span was wider then my car. It filled my entire windshield view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If everyone drove sanely and kept a safe following distance then stopping would not be a problem. Sorry, I'm stopping, if a few of you are in too much of a hurry you are going out with me
you're 100 pct wrong and likely to cause an accident over some ducks.
i saw some idiot do this on the garden state parkways a few months ago.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If everyone drove sanely and kept a safe following distance then stopping would not be a problem. Sorry, I'm stopping, if a few of you are in too much of a hurry you are going out with me
In a perfect world the ducks would have sense not to cross the road.I'd say its the rare person who drives on an expressway that leaves a distance between the car in front large enough to avoid the car in front slamming on his brakes and stopping. Stopping on a highspeed busy expressway will probably result in a major traffic accident with the possibility of lives lost including your own.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 AM

396 posts, read 512,936 times
Echoing what others have said, I stop if it's safe to do so. Otherwise, as much as I hate to mow down wildlife, if it's me or them, my safety is going to win out.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:32 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
Echoing what others have said, I stop if it's safe to do so. Otherwise, as much as I hate to mow down wildlife, if it's me or them, my safety is going to win out.
^^^Commonsense approach is what I also choose.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 AM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd say its the rare person who drives on an expressway that leaves a distance between the car in front large enough to avoid the car in front slamming on his brakes and stopping
Even though stopping for ducks is wrong, not leaving enough space between you and the other driver is just as bad driving. Too many accidents happen because someone is tailriding and the person in front of them stops at a traffic jam.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
A friend was recently in a horrific accident due to someone stopping for ducks.
The lady in front made an abrupt stop for the ducks.
He stopped his motorcycle just as quickly and stopped behind her.
The next 2 vehicles couldn't/didn't stop in that distance and hit my friend on his bike.
Sent him flying through/over the front car in front of him and landing in the opposing traffic lane where he got ran over again. Thankfully, he survived but is in really bad shape.

Only stop or slow if you and everyone around you can safely do the same.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Anywhere I've ever been, if I stop for whatever reason, and someone hits me from behind, its not my fault, but the fault of who was "following too closely".

Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
A friend was recently in a horrific accident due to someone stopping for ducks.
The lady in front made an abrupt stop for the ducks.
He stopped his motorcycle just as quickly and stopped behind her.
The next 2 vehicles couldn't/didn't stop in that distance and hit my friend on his bike.
Sent him flying through/over the front car in front of him and landing in the opposing traffic lane where he got ran over again. Thankfully, he survived but is in really bad shape.

Only stop or slow if you and everyone around you can safely do the same.

Sadly, in most states, the laws don't agree. I was in a car when the driver rear ended someone because they slammed on their brakes because a dog was crossing the street. Guess who got the citation? Hint: it wasn't the person who stopped for the dog.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
If possible, I do try and avoid running over critters. I won't put myself, my passengers or others at risk to do it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive