Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
This is 100% accurate. If your choice is to hit it or swerve...HIT IT. Vehicles can be replaced...people can't.

Also slowing could have MAJOR IMPACTS, depending on traffic, down stream

The most fatalities I see is people that have swerved off of the road and hit inanimate objects...like trees, concrete guards, signs, or underpasses. I have yet to see someone die from hitting an animal...not that it doesn't happen, but I've literally seen 100,000s accidents (or at least the aftermath)...
You've seen hundreds of thousands of accidents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Duck don't have the right of way so I am not stopping on an expressway to put other in dangers.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I haven't had an issue with animals but lately I've been hitting debris on the freeway. I don't know if I'm not seeing as well as I used to but I've been hitting some bad stuff, like boxes and last week I hit some kind of a big piece of metal that slammed up under my new car when I hit it. Just bad luck, no damage that I know of YET.

But as far as small animals, I would hit them if I couldn't safely avoid them. And then feel terrible for weeks after.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
This is why cars need cow catchers!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 AM

114 posts, read 72,779 times
Definitely not when a large truck is right behind me

Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
While heading to work a few weeks ago, I was on a divided 4 lane road and a rather large (15 inches head to tail) turtle was crossing the street. I stopped my car, got out, rescued the guy by taking him to the right side of the street. Traffic in both lanes were now stopped - and while getting back into my car, a hand full of passers by gave me the thumbs up... with only one exception... that person was showing me his middle finger... I shot him (the peace sign) and hoped he had a wonderful day....

It all depends on conditions. Running over a turtle as big as that could have caused all kinds of problems. It may have shot like a rocket and hit the car beside or behind me - it may have sent me flying into the median - no telling...

If I see a squirrel that even LOOKS like it's coming into the road, I'm hoping to hear a crunch while I run over the rat with a fancy tail... but dogs, cats, large birds and, as in this example turtles, I'll do what I can to avoid.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
While heading to work a few weeks ago, I was on a divided 4 lane road and a rather large (15 inches head to tail) turtle was crossing the street. I stopped my car, got out, rescued the guy by taking him to the right side of the street. Traffic in both lanes were now stopped - and while getting back into my car, a hand full of passers by gave me the thumbs up... with only one exception... that person was showing me his middle finger... I shot him (the peace sign) and hoped he had a wonderful day....

It all depends on conditions. Running over a turtle as big as that could have caused all kinds of problems. It may have shot like a rocket and hit the car beside or behind me - it may have sent me flying into the median - no telling...

If I see a squirrel that even LOOKS like it's coming into the road, I'm hoping to hear a crunch while I run over the rat with a fancy tail... but dogs, cats, large birds and, as in this example turtles, I'll do what I can to avoid.
Just a few weeks ago there were 20 geese crossing Research Park/Bob Wade right near Pulaski pike and the Toyota Plant. Couldn't do much about it but just wait for them to cross.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Even though stopping for ducks is wrong, not leaving enough space between you and the other driver is just as bad driving. Too many accidents happen because someone is tailriding and the person in front of them stops at a traffic jam.
I Dont know where you live but here in the big city you wont be leaving 7-10 car lengths between you and the car in front of you on a busy expressway where some one all of a sudden jamming on their brakes and coming to a stop is going to cause a chain reaction crash.Sure it would be nice if every one kept a safe distance and every one obeyed the speed limit as well as all other traffic rules and regulations but that aint reality..

Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Just a few weeks ago there were 20 geese crossing Research Park/Bob Wade right near Pulaski pike and the Toyota Plant. Couldn't do much about it but just wait for them to cross.
By ANY chance were you at PIE IN THE SKY for the FSU vs Auburn game last year?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Duck don't have the right of way so I am not stopping on an expressway to put other in dangers.
Do children have the right of way? Or is the right of way even relevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive