Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
As for VW, they have been cutting corners. There's just something "Walmart-esque" and artificial about the 2010s Volkswagens compared to earlier models. The 2000s were a high point for Volkswagen, the 2005-2010 Jetta for instance felt like a proper German car, rock-solid. The 2011+ models seem a lot cheaper in comparison, more like a Corolla. But the Volkswagens still feel pretty decent. Some are still (gasp) really good. Toyota, on the other hand, used to be good - in the 1990s. Today they may still be mechanically reliable, but they seem to be built by Playskool with all the cheap plastic they use. The most recent Toyotas have gotten better, but they are still nap-inducingly boring and plasticky. That's probably what cost Toyota the crown. Sure, it's reliable, but... the cars are zzz.
I think they only changed the Jetta sedan. Jetta wagon and Golf haven't been plastified, not sure about the Passat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Toyota doesn't sell well in Europe, it didn't even make it to the top 10 brands in May:

European car sales up, but market slowing

Even BMW sells better than Toyota:

2015 Q1 Europe Top-Selling Car Manufacturers Brands Models

Worldwide, Volkswagen does better than it appears from the American market
BMW is the Toyota or Honda of yuppies and trust fund kids for the fancier models like M3, M5 and 7 series what do you expect.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'm a VW guy, and to me the fun of the VW is what has always brought me to the brand. They make a great, fun to drive, car that Toyota doesn't match for the $$.

A previous poster said it best, you're only upset if you bought a Toyota for Fun or bought a VW for it's reliability...Same time, all my VW's have been perfectly reliable, and items that have needed replacement/repair are items that wear on any car. The difference was, every VW I owned, I could take out to the twisty country roads and come back with a smile on my face...and that has NEVER happened for me in a Toyota product.
fully agree!

I consider life too short to drive appliances, gotta have fun on the way to and from work too...

Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
Just had to take my '85 Jetta out for a celebratory drive today

Old 08-04-2015, 11:44 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
fully agree!

I consider life too short to drive appliances, gotta have fun on the way to and from work too...
On my drive to work (and I would venture many others) it is jam packed highways with bumper to bumper stop and go 5 mph traffic. It really doesn't matter what car you drive it isn't going to be thrilling.

Now, weekends are a different matter

Old 08-04-2015, 04:31 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
On my drive to work (and I would venture many others) it is jam packed highways with bumper to bumper stop and go 5 mph traffic. It really doesn't matter what car you drive it isn't going to be thrilling.

Now, weekends are a different matter
I'd rather have a VW in traffic for the comfort and interior quality. Toyotas let a lot more noise through and have awful interiors, at least the small cars

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
BMW is the Toyota or Honda of yuppies and trust fund kids for the fancier models like M3, M5 and 7 series what do you expect.

I won't argue that there are a ton of yuppies and trust fund kids driving BMW's...but BMW isn't the Toyota or Honda of anything...the base models are incredibly fun, they're well balanced driving machines. The newest models aren't as engaging as some of the older cars, but the feeling of an inline six being controlled by my right foot, while a clutch is resting under my left...and smooth gear changes by my right hand putting power to those rear wheels is somewhere close to nirvana.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I take a Toyota over VW any day of he week.

I ll buy a 5 year old Toyota before I even look at a brand new VW
I may have thought like you until I actually owned a VW. My wife loved them back in '04 when we bought the Passat. I fought tooth and nail against the purchase but in the end she won. She works too so it was her choice.

Well, the car was handed down to our youngest son in '09 when he got his license. So it's been all over the country, through 4 years of college at one of the coldest spots in America (Bemidji, MN) and NEVER failed to start. At times it was the only car that would start he said on winter days when the high for the day was far below 0 degrees.

So now, we have inherited the vehicle back since son #3 graduated college and got his first job he's purchased a brand new car. The car was in rough shape, but after a day of cleaning, washing and waxing it's still a damn nice car with 120K on the odometer. Never a problem with the car. Drives like new still and looks cool.

Toyota's are not cool at all, not even new ones. VW's are cool.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:52 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I take a Toyota over VW any day of he week.

I ll buy a 5 year old Toyota before I even look at a brand new VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
McDonald's sells a ton of hamburgers, but in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

VW fanatics remind me of domestic violence victims that just deal with it. Despite the attractiveness, there’s tons of denial about how mediocre the product is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't like VW that much the only German car I ever had was a BMW 328i and it was okay. The only German car I really love is the Mercedes SL but its too expensive. I like Japanese cars they are less expensive to maintain.
You all do understand that the linked article and the associated sales figures pertain to VW Group, which includes Audi and Porsche, right?

Or maybe you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive