Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times

Advertisements

Have an old Lexus RX300 that is doing fine for around town at 170K (no smoke, does not use any oil, everything works), but seems the sensors are starting to give up one-by-one. Now in metro Texas you must have your inspection done in order to re-register - -and you can't pass inspection with a Check Engine light on. Current code points to temperature ramp up issue, though coolant level is good and thermostat seems to be working fine. Bottom line, are failing codes and the potentially expensive sensor replacements, what are putting semi-current cars out to pasture? I have replaced a few sensors myself after getting ridiculous quotes (and paid for a few), but starting to get aggravating and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
clear the code, right before you go get it inspected? Unless you live in an area where they do emissions testing, check engine light will not fail inspection.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:25 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Clear the code right before getting it inspected, most auto parts stores have a scanner and will clear codes free of charge. The better option would be to replace the sensors if they are bad (just because an 02 sensor is throwing a code DOES NOT mean the sensor is bad, you may have other issues causing it to throw a code), do not buy sensors from parts stores, they are chinese made substitutes that only work long enough to get your money, get sensors from the dealer.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Clear the code right before getting it inspected, most auto parts stores have a scanner and will clear codes free of charge. The better option would be to replace the sensors if they are bad (just because an 02 sensor is throwing a code DOES NOT mean the sensor is bad, you may have other issues causing it to throw a code), do not buy sensors from parts stores, they are chinese made substitutes that only work long enough to get your money, get sensors from the dealer.
How is a Bosch sensor from a parts store any different than a Bosch sensor from a Dealer???

I would agree that you are more likely to get a cheap sensor buying an off-name or discount brand than you would by buying a higher priced name brand, but even that is not a guarantee of a good or bad part.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
OP, it seems likely that the CE light will come back on immediately after a reset if a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is also being set.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Check your battery connections. Had a check engine light and the diagnostics came back as laundry list of things. An intermittent low voltage situation was causing it. I didn't install battery or this never would have been issue. The one terminal was just slightly snug but could be moved by hand with enough force, a small amount of corrosion had formed between the contacts. Battery indicator never showed anything wrong. If you do disconnect it should reset the light fixed or not, mine never came back.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:51 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Having the code cleared generally won't get you through inspection, because if the vehicle comes in for inspection in its' "Diagnostic State".. It's generally the same as a fail.. It's at least a not-pass.

How can you tell the thermostat is working? I'm assuming you're seeing a P0128 code being set?

I have not seen that be anything other than the thermostat. Always possible.. I don't see alot, but that one is almost a go-to stuck open thermostat.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
How is a Bosch sensor from a parts store any different than a Bosch sensor from a Dealer???

I would agree that you are more likely to get a cheap sensor buying an off-name or discount brand than you would by buying a higher priced name brand, but even that is not a guarantee of a good or bad part.
They are built to a price point, it might look identical, but looks do not equate to function. I used to buy Bosch sensors from parts houses, but the failure rate was too high and it looked bad for my business, with the OEM sensors we do not have that problem.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
If you live in Houston, yer screwed. Houston requires emission testing which means they are going to put a scanner on the OBD port and put a scanner on the tailpipe. Houston and Dallas/FtWorth requires emissions testing. Unfortunately you can't drive out of Houston where it's not required and get an inspection. You're gonna have to fix that high dollar Toyota or junk it. Reason number one to never own a Toyota anything- cost of parts is absurd especially since they don't last longer than anything else.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
I guess the thermostat is working because the temperature gauge ramps-up normally. Yes, in Houston - - and pretty happy with the service thus far from the RX300, and note that it is still "running" fine and looks good. My decent code scanner will not clear this P128 code, and disconnecting the battery didn't work. It is not an O2 code (though those have also come and gone in the past - - once fixed with a new gas cap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive