Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:18 PM

56 posts, read 59,240 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to get a Wrangler

I'm having better luck getting the monthly payments I want with a lease rather than financing it.

My question is this:
If I lease the Jeep, would I be voiding the warranty if I do modifications to it and then purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Yes and no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

If you mod the suspension, the dealer can not void the warranty on the radio. They would have to prove the modification directly contributed the the failure of the component.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
It will violate the lease terms though. Leases almost always have a "no modification" requirement.

You may spend a couple grand on a nice lift and find yourself paying additional fees when you turn the Jeep in at the end of the lease, even though you would have added to the actual value of the vehicle.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah_amie View Post

I'm having better luck getting the monthly payments I want with a lease rather than financing it.

My question is this:
If I lease the Jeep, would I be voiding the warranty if I do modifications to it and then purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease?
If the dealership does the mods, the dealership will usually honor the factory warranty.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Op would it not be cheaper to find a nice 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ if you plan to modify it?

They also come with the proven 4.0HO I6 instead of the problem plagued 3.8L V6 used in the early JK Wranglers before moving to the way more reliable 3.6L Pentastar V6.

Many nice condition ones still out there that are still factory stock that can be modded anyway you like and not have to break the deal or incur penalties on the lease it is just something maybe worth looking into.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:

My question is this:
I'd question the plan to mod a vehicle on which the monthly payment is of any concern. Especially in the case where you're stretched thin enough to not be paying down principal. Modding, in general, accelerates the depreciation of a vehicle - depreciation that was estimated and included in the lease payment. Essentially what you're doing is spending more money to ensure you're far under water on the purchase.

Warranty wise, you're only voiding the parts that are being modified or subject to unusual wear and tear due to the mods. If you're planning on off-roading, bad idea to do this on a leased vehicle even if you intend to buy the lease out. Only case where that is a good idea is if you already have the cash set aside for the buyout and know it will still be there when the lease term ends.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:

My question is this:

I would not do any modifications to a car I lease. You throw 5 k in lift wheels and tires and it gets stolen you'll never see thst money

Old 08-22-2015, 04:13 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
If you get a Wrangler, plan on changing the headlights if you do much night driving.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
And you're going to pay $5k to get off the lease you're currently on now to get into another lease vehicle which you are planning to mod?

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-car-loan.html

Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Talk to your insurance agent.
Often the auto insurance is much higher on leased vehicles. You might get the payments you want and the ins you dread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive