Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Ten automakers are sued in U.S. over 'deadly' keyless ignitions | Reuters

At first I thought this might be a joke, but sadly it isn't. I didn't realize (or maybe I didn't want to admit that we had reached that level of stupidity) that there were people THAT stupid out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:35 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I wouldn't necessarily stay stupid. Cars these days are quite good in terms of quiet/smooth operation so for someone who is driving a keyless car for the first time it may not be obvious that the car is still on (of course for most of us on these forums we'd know just by looking at the tachometer or dash lights). With old school key'd ignitions pulling out the key becomes a programmed action and I couldn't get into my house without my car keys (which won't come out until the car is off). Once you get a keyless car which results in a fairly significant behavioral change, I can see this causing issues. I never left my car keys in my old cars but I've left the keyless FOB in the car a few times simply because I no longer have to think about it as it's not directly involved in the ignition action. I'm not saying people should get any damages from this, at most a sign or label installed in new cars.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
With old school key'd ignitions pulling out the key becomes a programmed action .
It's still a programmed action though. I got myself a car with keyless ignition and to this day, anytime I step out of the car, the first instinct is to reach and turn off the engine. I sometime have to stop myself from doing that if I get out to get something from back seat and such.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I wouldn't necessarily stay stupid.
I would disagree. To blindly assume that the car will shut itself off when you walk away from it clearly indicates a flawed thought process. It doesn't start by itself when you approach, why would one think that it would shut off when you walk away?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's still a programmed action though. I got myself a car with keyless ignition and to this day, anytime I step out of the car, the first instinct is to reach and turn off the engine.
Exactly. I've had BP start since 2011 (after driving since 1985 with keys), I would have to make a conscious effort to NOT turn off the car when I exit.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I didn't realize (or maybe I didn't want to admit that we had reached that level of stupidity) that there were people THAT stupid out there.
I didn't realize that there are so many people who are too stupid to learn how to work a key, and have a car with a remote-controlled motor to turn a switch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
why would one think that it would shut off when you walk away?
Umm -- because the lights do? Everybody has to learn to keep a mental inventory of everything that shuts off and everything that doesn't, which can vary from car to car. And yes, there are people who are that stupid out there.

And, you can put a device in your car that will start the engine every morning at 6:45, so it won't feeze your little hiney on winter mornings.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't realize that there are so many people who are too stupid to learn how to work a key, and have a car with a remote-controlled motor to turn a switch on.
Good attempt, but fail. You do realize that even cars with keys still have a "remote-controlled motor" to turn a switch on? If not, now you do

Regardless, it's the auto manufactures that have moved in this direction, not the consumer. The car I bought in 2011 did not have an option other than PBS.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
What about taking responsibility for reading and fallowing instructions ??

Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What about taking responsibility
That's not the American way...

Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM

557 posts, read 864,925 times
I bought a 2014 Honda and went through a mini school on how to operate my new Honda by the salesman. I was shown how to start and stop the engine which included stepping on the brake prior to pressing the start/stop button and then pressing the start/stop button to stop the engine. I was also informed that the engine would not stop itself otherwise, that the key fob is there to recognize the owner only for starting the engine and not stopping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive