Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times

Advertisements

I don't buy extended warranties on anything. Not cars, not appliances, not electronics...nothing. It's a huge money-maker for the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
can you cancel an extended warranty?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
Warranties in general are a rip-off compared to what you spend on them. As was said before for the seller they are like selling insurance at a huge premium over the average payout. In fact by buying used cars that come off warranty you can generally save thousands over what you would pay otherwise. Just doing a good inspection on the vehicle, diagnosing the service records, and checking ownership records can tell you a lot about how well a vehicle was maintained. When you look at the cost difference short of major problems like dropping a tranny or having to rebuild an engine the price difference doesn't make sense.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Default Consider Manufacturers Extended Warranty on High End Automobiles

I've done quite a few Automotive Arbitration Cases... Lemon Law... and the only "Extended Warranty" that I would consider is on a new car and then only a plan offered by the manufacturer and only if I planned to keep the car after the original warranty period.

I don't know anyone that has bought an Extended Manufacturer's Warranty on a new GM, BMW or Rover, on my advice, that has not thanked me later.

High End Auto Repair is very expensive and many times the Dealer is your only option...

So, if you plan on keeping one of these cars for an extended period of time... consider it and remember Manufacturer Warranties are negotiable just like anything else. So don't pay list price and you are not limited to buying it from your selling Dealer. Any new car Dealer selling that Brand can sell you the Factory Extended Warranty

I DO NOT recommend buying any second or private party warranties... period. I have seen way too many problems getting legitimate reimbursement for covered repairs, if at all.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I DO NOT recommend buying any second or private party warranties... period. I have seen way too many problems getting legitimate reimbursement for covered repairs, if at all.

as a former service writer at a dealership, +1 on this. it's always a PITA to work with these, there's always something the customer isn't aware of like, say diagnostics isn't covered, or certain problems aren't covered but seem like they should be, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
If the Jeep is still under the factory warranty then you should be able to get something better than a 3/36. Say something along the lines of 60 months/upto 100K miles. The way I look at it you have coverage on yourself (health and life), coverage on your home (fire, flood, tornado, etc), you have accident coverage on your vehicle.. You hope not to have to use them but just incase you do you have it. This is the same way. May think you wont need it but once the transmission goes out and you have to pay $3k out of pocket that you may...or may not have then you will be wishing you have spent that $1200 to get the coverage. It may be advertised as bumper-to-bumpber but I would be willing to be it has exclusions.

I hear alot of complaint about how hard it is to get stuff paid for or work with the company. I work at an "extended warranty" company and have been in both the claims dept and the admin dept. Alot of the problems come from customers not reading thier coverage. READ ALL OF THE MATERIAL YOU ARE GIVEN. I cant emphasize that enough. As far as being hard to work with it may vary by company and thier practices. On occasion you will run into a snag, who doesnt?

Also, contact your local Credit Union and your personal auto insurance carrier as they may offer "extended warranty" also referred to as Mechanical Breakdown coverage. However, in some cases the coverage must be purchased while the vehicle still has 30 days and 1000 miles remaining on the factory warranty, but the longer you wait the more miles you put on the vehicle the more expensive the coverage will be.

Remember hindsight is 20-20. If you would like to discuss this further please send me a direct message and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Disclaimer: I am by no means trying to sell this coverage, I am not in that department and do not/would not make any type of commission. I am just providing my inside views of the industry.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Generally consumer magazine say that extended warranties are a bad deal, unless you are selling them.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I just bought an inexpensive little Suzuki SX4 crossover (front wheel drive, switchable to AWD and locked AWD, and I've been averaging about 32 mpg), and paid $600 to extend the factory 3/36 bumper-to-bumper, wth oil changes and regular service, to 7/100 (which was the power train warranty). The extended warranty is from Suzuki and is available at any dealership. Since my plan is to put a lot of miles on this car and pretty much drive it into the ground over the next 10 years or so, it seemed like a reasonable expense.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post

I hear alot of complaint about how hard it is to get stuff paid for or work with the company. I work at an "extended warranty" company and have been in both the claims dept and the admin dept. Alot of the problems come from customers not reading thier coverage. READ ALL OF THE MATERIAL YOU ARE GIVEN. I cant emphasize that enough. As far as being hard to work with it may vary by company and thier practices. On occasion you will run into a snag, who doesnt?

Yes, i ran into a little tiny "snag", with my "service contract".Thousands stuck with worthless car warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Also, contact your local Credit Union and your personal auto insurance carrier as they may offer "extended warranty" also referred to as Mechanical Breakdown coverage. However, in some cases the coverage must be purchased while the vehicle still has 30 days and 1000 miles remaining on the factory warranty, but the longer you wait the more miles you put on the vehicle the more expensive the coverage will be.
If you are going to purchase a service contract, do not ever purchase one from anybody except for the manufacturer of the vehicle. The consumer protection laws do not protect you when you purchase a service contract. The contract will say insured by, CARRG, for example, however, the company that is "insuring" the contract is usually the very same company that your purchasing the contract from! See the link above, folks.
I thought i was being smart, instead, it looks as if i've been legally robbed of $1600 and don't have a "warranty".

Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanatastar View Post
For those of you who have ever purchased used cars that are still under manufacture warranties, did you opt to purchase an extended warranty from the used car dealership?

Why or why not?

I am going to be signing papers for a 2006 Jeep Liberty tomorrow. This will be my second Jeep purchase. From looking at the Liberty myself, it looks near mint. The vehicle report that I have for it doesn't show anything that would cause concern either. For $1200 I could have a better sense of "piece of mind" but also have my payments higher than I wanted them to be. What are your thoughts? Have you ever had to depend on your warranty, especially with Jeep models?
No no, not for me. They just want more money out of you. Those extended warranties can really make a car expensive. Usually it's like nearly $2,000 extra for these extended warranties. If you do regular maintenance on your vehicle you shouldn't have problems until you've got over 100,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive