Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times

Advertisements

I was driving home from work yesterday when I noticed that my coolant gauge was slowly rising to the H position. So I got off at the next exit and parked the car for 10 minutes. When I restarted the car it was in the normal position so I drove home, when I got on my street it rose to H (HOT) again.

When I got home I popped the hood and checked the coolant and the oil. Coolant reservoir was normal and clean and the oil was normal looking (not milky). So I'm thinking that my thermostat went bad.

This morning I got up and my neighbor said that I should check the radiator. The radiator was empty but the reservoir was at the MAX position. I poured coolant into the radiator then behind the engine I could hear (and see) coolant dripping onto the ground. So I called and had the car towed to the dealer.

Do you think it could be a bad water pump, head gasket etc.? I had my timing belt and water replaced in July.

Car is a 2005 Acura TL, 135,000 miles. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
first locate the leak. you could have a bad freeze plug. once the leak is located, then you can choose a course of action.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Check the hoses for the heater core. What car ?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first locate the leak. you could have a bad freeze plug. once the leak is located, then you can choose a course of action.
Car was already towed the the dealer who will look at tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Check the hoses for the heater core. What car ?
2005 Acura TL

Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
For those that don't know.... most auto parts retail stores sell a small bottle of neon orange coloured dye, that you can put into the engine, to spot leaks, for sure. It sure beats throwing money at a problem, only to find out that you just replaced a part that wasn't leaking or broken.

Just like being a MD, first you eliminate the obvious stuff, then you look at the less obvious possibilities.

Jim B.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Look at the easy stuff first and don't jump to a bad HG immediately. Honda/Acura radiators love to leak at the top plastic tank, where it's crimped onto the aluminum core. Dried spots/residue there would be a giveaway. Could also be something as simple as bad hoses or radiator cap. Honda thermostats are known to go 200,000 miles but still check that.

Make sure the dealer doesn't rip you off. With an overheating car, they could easily scare you into expensive repairs when the fix is actually pretty simple.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Based on the fact of where the water seems to be leaking from.. I have 2 thoughts.

1) Head Gasket.. Which I think is quite unlikely. Always a possibility, but I don't think so.

2) This is where my money goes.. Intake Manifold.

It's a little more common for an intake manifold to leak coolant INTO the engine, but.. It's just my gut feeling based on saying that the coolant seems to be leaking from the back of the engine. If it were a head gasket, first off, I'm assuming the Acura has a sideways mounted engine.. The back would be an unusual place for a head gasket leak.. Second, it seems to be leaking without really warming up, my assumption based on the post, and HG leaks, unless they've been there for a LONG time or are far more catastrophic are generally 'pinhole' leaks that only leak when the pressures build up after the engine warms up.

Heater hose is also a pretty good bet. More so than the HG, I think.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Look at the easy stuff first and don't jump to a bad HG immediately. Honda/Acura radiators love to leak at the top plastic tank, where it's crimped onto the aluminum core. Dried spots/residue there would be a giveaway. Could also be something as simple as bad hoses or radiator cap. Honda thermostats are known to go 200,000 miles but still check that.

Make sure the dealer doesn't rip you off. With an overheating car, they could easily scare you into expensive repairs when the fix is actually pretty simple.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM

761 posts, read 832,733 times
How about a clogged thermostat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive