Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honestly. I really could care less how clean they "aren't" when you see buses and tractor trailers and tons of other unregulated pieces of equipment drive by spewing filth.

I'm sure these "dirty" diesels are still cleaner than all those rigs.

Everyone loves all these emissions regs until their car won't pass inspection because of a check engine light and it costs $1K+ to diagnose a vacuum leak. Then it's "The EPA sucks"
You show me a Jetta that can pull 40 tons of goods to and fro or convey a few dozen people back and forth to work and we will see about getting them lighter regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:39 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
All day news stories about this are saying that several other manufactures are rumored to have done the same thing. If the manufacture makes a diesel power car they will be looked at. Some engineers that worked for VW and knew about what VW was doing now work for Mercedes.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
All day news stories about this are saying that several other manufactures are rumored to have done the same thing. If the manufacture makes a diesel power car they will be looked at. Some engineers that worked for VW and knew about what VW was doing now work for Mercedes.
Well, I guess the regulatory agencies will have to actually do their jobs for a while then. If we are going to have all the rules, they may as well actively enforce them!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, I guess the regulatory agencies will have to actually do their jobs for a while then. If we are going to have all the rules, they may as well actively enforce them!
Auto manufacturers do emissions self-certification and then submit to the EPA.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
At it's core, Volkswagen was built by Nazis, including Hitler. The company has admitted to using 15,000 slaves during the war.

This is not the first time Volkswagen has acted in a deceptive manner regarding environmental regulations. It's time for them to go, in my opinion. Bring them down.

If they're not "done", they're at least in serious trouble in the U.S. Their "clean diesel" campaign was always a farce, but they at least had enough Americans fooled to keep the company alive in this country. Now, I'm not so sure.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Wow, some rather biased replys here... not sure how an ethics issue has any reflection on engineering (rather a smart display of engineering if you ask me, not ethical in the least, but bloody brilliant). And while I do my part with the environment, it's hard to ignore than 16 mega ships pump out more pollution than EVERY car on the planet, combined. Anyone who's tackled a problem knows you hack away at the biggest section (or area with the largest room for improvement) first. Some diesel cars that skirted emissions, probably by a few points (hard to tell without putting a 4-gas analyzer on a moving vehicle), isn't exactly a very major area.... ethically wrong, legally wrong, but not as big an issue as some of you are making it out to be.

I'll just hang onto my 14 year old diesel jetta... the one from before current emissions regulations were put into place. Oh, and I've yet to live somewhere with emissions testing anyway, so it wouldn't matter in the least if I modified it for "rolling coal" like the Detroit made diesel truck enthusiasts like to do.

Bigger picture folks, it's a slow news day if this is a major story.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
At it's core, Volkswagen was built by Nazis, including Hitler. The company has admitted to using 15,000 slaves during the war.
Well, Coca-Cola and IBM sold products to the Nazis.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wow, some rather biased replys here... not sure how an ethics issue has any reflection on engineering (rather a smart display of engineering if you ask me, not ethical in the least, but bloody brilliant). And while I do my part with the environment, it's hard to ignore than 16 mega ships pump out more pollution than EVERY car on the planet, combined. Anyone who's tackled a problem knows you hack away at the biggest section (or area with the largest room for improvement) first. Some diesel cars that skirted emissions, probably by a few points (hard to tell without putting a 4-gas analyzer on a moving vehicle), isn't exactly a very major area.... ethically wrong, legally wrong, but not as big an issue as some of you are making it out to be.

I'll just hang onto my 14 year old diesel jetta... the one from before current emissions regulations were put into place. Oh, and I've yet to live somewhere with emissions testing anyway, so it wouldn't matter in the least if I modified it for "rolling coal" like the Detroit made diesel truck enthusiasts like to do.

Bigger picture folks, it's a slow news day if this is a major story.

Well, the affected VW engine is the only one without a urea direct injection. They claim they can achieve diesel emissions cleanliness without it as oppose to other manufacturers' designs. So it IS an engineering issue -- one they couldn't overcome without cheating. (This same engine was updated for 2015, btw, to include urea like all of its competition).

And it IS a big issue as apparent in the stock price falling, VW's CEO apparently getting fired, the potential historic $18B fines, the $50M in US tax breaks they received as a result of this fraud, the impact on diesel car future, etc.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:42 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Auto manufacturers do emissions self-certification and then submit to the EPA.
Kind of like the NFL handing off footballs and letting the teams govern it themselves.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I don't understand these companies, it's not like they will get away with it for long. Their dishonesty will come to light.

Yes Michael Horn, VW has screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive