Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Aluminum versus Steel
Aluminum is better. 20 39.22%
Steel is better. 11 21.57%
Don't know if either is better. 11 21.57%
Don't care. 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
NO..I am talking about strength..... Not time to build.. If you can have fiberglass bodies last for years, aluminum will do as well.. or better...
You are correct on that point, I thought you wanted to know why not build the F150 out of fiberglass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:34 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
So, I just got back from a weeklong hunting trip. For the trip, I rented a brand new F150 Truck. I must say, that while I don't like the grill of the truck, everything else about it was top notch. Great Truck.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are correct on that point, I thought you wanted to know why not build the F150 out of fiberglass.
Fiberglass breaks, metal crushes. Have you ever seen a corvette after a crash? Skip to 12:35 (though the idiot driver's antics are rather amusing) Maybe the reinforcement in the frame and sides helps a lot, but I think I prefer metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLf-VqQdQ3I

Old 10-10-2015, 02:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Aluminum will be OK below the Mason/Dixon Line where they do not salt the roads in winter. Road salt eats up steel. It will be even worse on Aluminum.
Quite a few southern states get snow, and salt is used. Maybe they'll come up with a different paint, like a rubber based paint.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:23 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
For one thing you cannot make fiberglass panels faster than you can stamp them out on a press. When you are talking assembly line you are talking up to 55 trucks an hour that's what Chrysler was putting out when I worked at their Warren Truck Assembly plant we made Ram pickups. Fiberglass could never be used in that speed of witch they are made.
Nor is it worth it, think about it, there are reasons why you don't see fiberglass bicycles, yet there are bamboo ones. A wreck with a fiberglass truck would look like an F1 crash.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Quite a few southern states get snow, and salt is used. Maybe they'll come up with a different paint, like a rubber based paint.
Why? Paint holds up fine on aluminum. Aluminum panels have been used for years as have complete aluminum bodies. And it has held up well on vehicles both below and above the snow belt.

There are also plenty of aluminum yachts (not just jon boats) that have beautiful paint jobs and they spend their lives in salt water and hold up just fine!

Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 25,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Why? Paint holds up fine on aluminum. Aluminum panels have been used for years as have complete aluminum bodies. And it has held up well on vehicles both below and above the snow belt.

There are also plenty of aluminum yachts (not just jon boats) that have beautiful paint jobs and they spend their lives in salt water and hold up just fine!
People fail to realize is that Ford has put the their aluminum truck through so many test including spraying it with salt water for a year streight and exposeing the paint to the elements for a year also and side impact and front head on crashes and they have stretched it to see its breaking point. In other words Ford did not just start making their money maker out of aluminum without testing it out first. Ford has a huge testing laboratory's in Deaborn Mi. And I'm sure the manufacture of the aluminum for Ford has also done plenty of testing. Ford tested there aluminum trucks for years before going into production they put their test trucks through more pounding than any of us would ever put a vehicle through.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:20 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Further, Ford took the time to make some aluminum versions of their previous truck and gave them to construction companies, mines, and other tough applications to test for a year. One mining company figured out something was different when they tried to put on magnetic lights and they wouldn't stick.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 AM

26 posts, read 25,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Further, Ford took the time to make some aluminum versions of their previous truck and gave them to construction companies, mines, and other tough applications to test for a year. One mining company figured out something was different when they tried to put on magnetic lights and they wouldn't stick.
You are correct what gets me is that people think the big 3 or any other manufacture come up with an idea and just make it willynilly. These new products are tested and re tested than tested again, but some on here think they know more than the Ford engineers well if they know more than they should go work for them.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I agree. These companies aren't going to just put out a vehicle without testing it. Personally, if I had the money for a new truck, I'd have absolutely no problem getting an F150. The fact that it's aluminum would not even be considered a question.

Yes, I like older vehicles and the sound of a V8 but I actually like the idea of a fullsized truck that, because of being lighter, it can have a smalller V6 in it just sipping instead of gulping the gas.

Perhaps it's good that I can't afford a new one yet so when I can, a full sized crew cab 4X4 can be had that pushes 30MPG's on the highway and 25 all around. Using aluminum is one of the ways to make that happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive