Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times

Advertisements

Well if you started off with luxury and have always had luxury, of course its going to be hard to acclimate to an economy car.

It'll be like dating me for a while then dating a regular joe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times
I laughed when I read this.
I'm happy when the zippers on the plastic windows in my Jeep Wrangler work !

Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
I'm the same way. You just get used to the refinement, NVH, and a more powerful engine. I would chose a luxury vehicle everytime, even a used one.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I've been a car gal all my life, from the time I was a little girl with model cars, turned my dollhouse into a garage for my cars, could name every car on the road as soon as I could speak, etc. When I started making decent money, I had a string of luxury leases -- your Beemers, Cadillacs, Infinitis, etc. Not the most expensive models but certainly not the cheapest. Now I'm retired. I have an Acura lease with a year to go. I know financially I SHOULD get something cheap like a Corolla or Civic. But having driven my Mom's Corolla for a couple years after she died, I know I won't be happy. Yeah, it's probably some deep-seated insecurity on my part....or is it? To me, a car is not just something to get you from one place to another. I am super into cars and way into the details like the size of the wheels, fog lights, etc. Considering whether to blow the budget by getting something I really can't afford but will put a smile on my face every time I get in it. Just wondering if others are like this about their cars.
Could you be more specific as to which Acura you are currently leasing? The entry level Acura is an up level Honda Civic. The next model up shares components with the Honda Accord. You'd have to go to the highest model to get the model most exclusive to Acura. Many luxury brands share platforms or components with entry level brands. Cadillac to Chevy, Acura to Honda, Lexus to Toyota, Infiniti to Nissan, Audi to VW. There are some luxury features only available in the upper brands. I don't know you, but some people who focus exclusively on luxury brands are what some call brand snobs. I suggest you compare your Acura to the related Honda model. Most entry level brands' midsize sedans are close in quality to their sibling upper brands.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've never understood why people buy luxury cars. For example, in my mind, a Lexus is just an expensive Toyota; an Acura is just an expensive Honda.

A long time ago when the Acura Legend first came out, I test drove one and was not very impressed.

When I asked the salesman why people buy this car, his answer was "Prestige".

I really don't care what other people think about what I drive. So I'm not a Luxury car customer.
A lot of people think this but its not true. Go and test drive a Camry and then after that test drive a Lexus ES350 and you will see and feel and big difference in quality, refinement and technology.

After that go and drive an Accord then a Acura TLX. Same difference.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,100,987 times
I have both ends of the spectrum.

A shiny Porsche Cayman S, and a beat-up 1994 Toyota Camry with 200k on the clock.

I find there's a time and place for both. Being a gearhead, I enjoy the precision of my sports car...its construction, performance, visual appeal, all that jazz. You feel the quality which normally correlates to an increased cost, and thus the feeling of personal "success" for having bought one. On the other hand I love driving my beater to a fast food joint and parking between two decrepid Dodge Minivans...walking away without a care in the world.

Do I look down on others two buy Civics? No way. The Civic owner likely values reliability more than performance. He's spending that money on something else he enjoys more than cars. I happen to enjoy cars, so I combine than discretionary income into my vehicle expense.

So am I unhappy if I don't have a luxury vehicle? In a way, yes. But not because it makes me feel accomplished, but instead because it lets me experience the finer side of automobiles...which I happen to enjoy.

Then again...I'm just one person. My neighbor can't stop talking about saving up for a Lexus to sway the ladies.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
I've been a car gal all my life, from the time I was a little girl with model cars, turned my dollhouse into a garage for my cars, could name every car on the road as soon as I could speak, etc. When I started making decent money, I had a string of luxury leases -- your Beemers, Cadillacs, Infinitis, etc. Not the most expensive models but certainly not the cheapest. Now I'm retired. I have an Acura lease with a year to go. I know financially I SHOULD get something cheap like a Corolla or Civic. But having driven my Mom's Corolla for a couple years after she died, I know I won't be happy. Yeah, it's probably some deep-seated insecurity on my part....or is it? To me, a car is not just something to get you from one place to another. I am super into cars and way into the details like the size of the wheels, fog lights, etc. Considering whether to blow the budget by getting something I really can't afford but will put a smile on my face every time I get in it. Just wondering if others are like this about their cars.
You are being superficial. That being said, if your budget can accommodate it, then go for it. As adults, it is our job to prioritize needs and wants. You sound like you have a strong want for a luxury car. If there are budget pressures, presumably, you can cut back on certain expenses to make up the incremental increase in automobile expenses. E.g. cut your food budget $50/week to re-allocate to car budget to cover incremental cost increase. Just remember that in retirement, your ability to make additional income to cover a mistake are limited.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
I can think of hundreds of things to do with my money then but what car I own isn't one of them. Probably because they are the regular drivers here. So, having a nice car here is just normal. I'd rather travel by plane and get a rental or an RV.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
I am also car conscience. I prefer to drive a nice car, and hate the idea of driving a Subaru, or camry or something bland. There exist cars I consider boring and dull and would be very unhappy driving. If you don't care what sort of care you drive, then good for you. I do.

However, at some point in the last 10 years I became financially conscience. I began to save and invest and liked seeing my net worth grow. I decided I'd rather live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood and park a junky car in the driveway, vs drive a nice car, and park in a junky driveway.

Of course with that said, I still drive my nice cars. I have a Ford Mustang I pamper in the garage, and daily drive an Infiniti. However, both are paid off, and low cost to operate due to me DIY'ing my repairs and maintenance. I'll need a new DD soon (as mine has 162K miles) but fortunately have a budget that can accommodate it.

I still view cars as not a way to get to point A to B, but more of less an extension of one's self...but as I get older, financial security is a stronger influence on me.

But at the same time...I can't bring myself to buy a boring car for my next vehicle.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
The simple answer is - buy what you want.

Half of the people here will tell you that you are nuts for buying anything more than the bare necessities. The other half will tell you why you are right.

I think when you say "cant afford it" you probably mean that responsibly you shouldnt spend the money on it. If that is the case and you truly have the money to pay for it then I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive