Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,315 times

Advertisements

so, while my wife was driving home from work 10 days ago, she was side swiped into a guard rail and it totaled out her 2014 dodge dart. we bought the car and financed it for 27k dollars last october. still owe 24k dollars roughly. insurance payout is only $14k and we dont know what to do. we bought gap protection when we bought the car in tucson, but it isnt valid since we moved to the united kingdom for military purposes so they wont pay the gap. totaly at a loss and have no idea what to do from here. or what we could do to help our situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Look at your policy. Does it have a exclusion for overseas? Call base legal and see f your vehicle being overseas because f your job may be automatically covered.
Does the other driver have insurance? You may want to find a barrister and sue in what?i think common court? Not sure about GB law system.
You may be able to go after the other party

How the hell does a 2014 27,000 dollar car lose almost 1/2 it's value. I would argue that also with your car compan. Go get a list of what a dart sells in your old area where you purchased the car. You may have a argument there as to why the payout should be higher.

Remember car insurance companies want to pay as little as possible. Start screaming sue and lawyer.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharye9893 View Post
so, while my wife was driving home from work 10 days ago, she was side swiped into a guard rail and it totaled out her 2014 dodge dart. we bought the car and financed it for 27k dollars last october. still owe 24k dollars roughly. insurance payout is only $14k and we dont know what to do. we bought gap protection when we bought the car in tucson, but it isnt valid since we moved to the united kingdom for military purposes so they wont pay the gap. totaly at a loss and have no idea what to do from here. or what we could do to help our situation.
Something isn't right. The base price of a brand new dodge dart is 16,500 dollars. How did you end up owing 27K? Did you roll your previously underwater car into this loan? Why would you expect the insurance company to pay you more than the car is worth? The only thing I can say is you have a problem with your gap insurance. Sue them.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Even a Limited can be had for around 21K. OP, you either got taken big time or as Wartrace said, you rolled over another underwater car.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I would contact the base legal office to get assistance in dealing with the insurance company. You should also get all the documentation on your vehicle and search for one that has the same features being sold in your home area of Tuscon. If you purchased an upmarket trim of the Dart, be sure that is reflected in the payout offer, since it seems that a base model was used for calculations, as it is not uncommon for the insurance company to try to minimize a payout, and you may have to fight to reflect the actual value of the vehicle that you purchased.

It is possible to have a Dart that would be in the $$24-25k range at MSRP, in the top trim, plus tax, tag, etc., so I can see how it could be a $27k financed amount. Gap insurance will cover the value of the car, but does not cover negative equity rolled into a new loan, taxes, tags, etc. Calculating the value as of the date of a total loss, gap insurance should reimburse the difference between the loan balance on the car, and the insurance valuation as of the date of the total loss. It doesn't factor your down payment, either, and is the difference between the cash value of the car and the loan amount of the car. Taxes and tags as well as payments to date and a down payment can be lost, but any extended service contracts can usually be refunded in the event of a total loss, in part or full, depending upon the plan. So, if you had one, just because gap will not cover it, you are not necessarily out that money, either.

It's more complicated being overseas, which is why the base legal office would be my recommendation for assistance in dealing with this matter. You are not the first person to whom this scenario has happened, and they should know how to best assist you in getting the maximum payout. While some insurers may exclude use under certain conditions, I am not sure how that would apply to a military owner, as there are exceptions and provisions that exist in some cases for members of the armed services when stationed abroad, or even outside of their home state, where they are allowed to keep their vehicles registered at home, etc. Good luck!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Ship the wrecked car back to Tucson.....gap will then cover it......game over!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Reminds of the annoying Liberty Mutual ads. Even they have some kind of fine print.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
That's a big gap, and you did the right thing by getting gap insurance and believed yourself protected so definitely hit up base legal.

You should also talk to your base aid society (NMCRC, FFS, AFRC, etc), and see if you can get an interest free loan/grant as this certainly seems to be a situation where you did the right thing but are getting the shaft for your service (even if you rolled an underwater car into this loan, which isn't a great thing to do, you still dotted your eyes and crossed your T's and shouldn't be punished for executing your orders, and it's not a car getting stolen in Mexico, it's an accident in the UK).

Please keep us updated.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Don't yu just Love Insurance Companies??? Kind of like..They are great until you make a claim..ANY claim..and often the initial offer is LOW balled..They know you live in UK..So assume you will eat your losses..... Given this big GAP in amount owing and you have GAP insurance which you paid premiums on ( you should have been advise you would lose that when moved)...BUT bottom line is..Shipping damaged vehicle back into USA will force them to PAY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Reminds of the annoying Liberty Mutual ads. Even they have some kind of fine print.
For people who watch advertising..and don't ask questions nor read that FINE PRINT..just like any purchase..buyer beware..and often never realize the rip off until they have to make a claim!! Insurance company's are profit driven!!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Look at your policy. Does it have a exclusion for overseas? Call base legal and see f your vehicle being overseas because f your job may be automatically covered.
Does the other driver have insurance? You may want to find a barrister and sue in what?i think common court? Not sure about GB law system.
You may be able to go after the other party

How the hell does a 2014 27,000 dollar car lose almost 1/2 it's value. I would argue that also with your car compan. Go get a list of what a dart sells in your old area where you purchased the car. You may have a argument there as to why the payout should be higher.

Remember car insurance companies want to pay as little as possible. Start screaming sue and lawyer.

I think you would most likely need be in the states to get anywhere with the purely American entitlement based past time known as tort cases. Americans have tried for years to make a career of it. In the 1980s people use to put bumper stickers on their cars which read "Hit Me I Need the Money!"
Have you ever seen TV commercials put on by law firms fishing for clients? Some of their spots speak of maladies which don't exist.
If they mention a symptom and you have one to match for some unrelated reason you can jump on board the class action suit filed against...who? I never understood that part..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive