Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Why are you having so much issues with a Honda? How many miles is on your car? Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder?

From the picture, it looked more than full. It looked over filled. When you took this picture, was the engine hot, warm or cold? Is the car on a level surface?

The best way to get an accurate oil reading, the car needs to be. On a level surface, and the engine has to be warm to cold.
The '08-'11 Accords are well known oil burners according to CarComplaints. The '07-'09 Camry had issues with it as well, Toyota had to extend the warranty. Now Hyundai is having the same problem in the Sonata.

OP, go buy yourself one of those LiquiVac pumps, and vacuum out the excess oil through the dipstick tube. I wouldn't say a word about it, two can play that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 02:33 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,100 times
For the dealer to be overfilling on consumption tests is counter-intuitive. They get paid by the factory to handle AND repair issues such as these. Why would they try to not get what is probably a highly labor intensive major engine repair?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
For the dealer to be overfilling on consumption tests is counter-intuitive. They get paid by the factory to handle AND repair issues such as these. Why would they try to not get what is probably a highly labor intensive major engine repair?
agreed. but why overfill? unless that isn't overfilled - and it looks it to me.

doesn't warranty work pay less? i dk.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Is this supposed to be some type of recall repair? (Replacing the rings?)

Old 10-08-2015, 02:48 PM

230 posts, read 430,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Some warranty repairs are paid at such a low rate that the dealer either loses money or just breaks even, as long as the mechanic doesn't make any time wasting mistakes. Warranty work isn't always gravy for the dealers.

I'm not saying that the low rate issue necessarily applies here, but it is something to keep in mind.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Is this supposed to be some type of recall repair? (Replacing the rings?)
yes

Old 10-08-2015, 03:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Now that the Honda fanboys have beat their chest, yes, Honda has been having oil consumption issues for several years now. The issue is not the rings, it has to do with how Honda makes their Displacement on Demand work....and for most Hondas, it's not working very good. The best advise I can give you is to find a chip that eliminates the DOD feature and the problem should go away. But you need to know hiway fuel mileage is going to drop. By how much depends on your driving habits but expect at least 2 mpgs down.

In regards to IF the dealer is playing games, yes, mostly because Honda is not paying much for the testing and should the engine need work which will not fix the issue, Honda isn't putting out enough cash for the dealer to make any money. Why screw with a makers crappy engineering if you're not going to make money at it. You can fill that bay with a car that will make you money. This has been an ongoing issue with Honda that thinks the dealers are their slaves and should work at cost or less and take the hit for Team Honda. This is a Honda problem, not a dealer problem. Honda needs to step up before this ends up a class action lawsuit.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Go buy one of those little pumps for changing oil on boats and other equipment using the dipstick tube, and suck it out until it's at the top mark. If nothing else it will satisfy you as you watch the oil depleting over time, without having to trust what you are being told (which appears to be based on a starting point that is not properly controlled, or skewed in favor of the people doing it, whichever you want to believe).

Anyway, I'm pretty certain that if you look in the manual, it will explicitly state NOT TO OVERFILL the oil past the top mark. So you really aren't doing anything wrong by draining it to the proper level.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The '08-'11 Accords are well known oil burners according to CarComplaints. The '07-'09 Camry had issues with it as well, Toyota had to extend the warranty. Now Hyundai is having the same problem in the Sonata.

OP, go buy yourself one of those LiquiVac pumps, and vacuum out the excess oil through the dipstick tube. I wouldn't say a word about it, two can play that game.
I must admit, I am not aware of the honda oil consumption issue..

Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Well, be it known that Toyota also issued extended warranty for oil consumption. They are "collecting parts" and then everyone who received a letter will have it fixed under recall. But for what it is, I have extended warranty on brakes and engine and dash now for my 07 TCH till 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive