Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, he leased it for 2 years then financed the residual for another 3 and I he has been driving it since. He has only 60K miles on it. I suppose he could hang on it but how long? The day will eventually come. If he is going to get anything for it this is probably a good time. As is I doubt the dealer will offer him more than 6-7 grand. He can put down another 7 and finance the rest.

What day will come?
Is the goal to "get sumfin fer it" or to be fiscally responsible and still have reliable transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Yeah, it's a 2009 paid off model. It's not how much the dealer will give him for it but how much more he has to pay into the car ($0)

Old 10-17-2015, 01:37 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I suppose he could hang on it but how long? The day will eventually come. If he is going to get anything for it this is probably a good time.
There-in lies the real question.

The car will last another 200k miles with basic care (read that as simple/scheduled preventative maintenance) and be "worth" about $2~3k at that time. That's just shy of 20 YEARS of driving (at his current rate) without having a car payment.

Or spend the money month after month. Be roped into always having a job... I think the term most frequently used is "rat race", though "treadmill" fits the situation as well.

Is his time (because that's the root of it for most people) better spent in return for money to pay interest, better spent in return for money used for early retirement, a house, eliminating debt, or is it better spent NOT trading for money at all and simply working less/living more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive