Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:54 PM

295 posts, read 317,162 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in Massachusetts but I've noticed this in general.....why are there so many bad/dumb drivers out there? Is it me or is this trending upward? I apologize but I just wanted to vent somewhere.

Some observations I've noticed:
-More horsepower in cars means people cut and switch lanes much more aggressively because they can
-People cut into your lane without signaling but then signal at lanes where it is a highway exit or turn only lane.
-The inability to stay on one's own lane, even small bends in the road where any person with a brain should be able to do without compensating into another's lane
-Distracted driving seems to be pretty commonplace
-Seems like everyone is in a rush and lack basic patience skills. That and extreme aggressive tendencies make for a bad mix. If this is at all an extension of how they behave in real life, that could be troublesome, from a health standpoint. What is the rush?
-Yielding getting onto highways seem to be a thing of the past
-2 car length distance seems to be a thing of the past
-Obeying speed limits seem to be a thing of the past
-This has become so commonplace that I do not believe any of these violations are even enforced anymore.
-How are these people getting licenses? Licenses should probably be renewed every 5 to 10 years with a mandatory driving test followed by a written test, I imagine more than half or three quarters would fail either one.
-why are the laws against people who run others over with cars so lenient?. A few stories I've read had these people going to jail just a few years for running people over.

Much more to name but you kinda get the idea.

I believe this has reached an epidemic. The dangers of this cannot be ignored but no one is really paying much attention to it. Why are we so focused on other less important issues but no one cares about safe driving to save lives? Driverless cars can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
cars have become much easier to drive these days, that they practically drive themselves, in the parlance of the automakers anyway. compare todays camry to say my 82 fairmont. the brakes are much better in the camry, the engine outs out more power, the handling is better, etc. add to that people texting or talking on their cell phones, and thus not paying attention to what is going on around them, and then add in that drivers license testing has become a complete joke, as has drivers education, and of course todays drivers are far worse than they were even twenty years ago.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
People are just stupider nowadays...

Old 01-25-2016, 08:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
-People cut into your lane without signaling
Being in MA you should know the answer to this. When you signal for a lane change, the other person will then speed up to try and block you.

Only way to avoid this and make it into the lane is to not signal. And i'm serious when I say this is a method that a lot of people I know use.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Being in MA you should know the answer to this. When you signal for a lane change, the other person will then speed up to try and block you.

Only way to avoid this and make it into the lane is to not signal. And i'm serious when I say this is a method that a lot of people I know use.

Same thing in the DC area, if you signal you are losing that spot lol

Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM

505 posts, read 847,509 times
Sucky drivers have been around since the advent of the automobile. But I do agree that the increase in electronic goodies has made distracted driving a real problem.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Oh and the other thing is clearing snow off. Are people really that lazy now?

Old 01-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Same thing in the DC area, if you signal you are losing that spot lol
I try to subscribe to the theory that two wrongs dont make a right so signal at all times. Guess Im in the minority. Plus, if you dont signal and just move into another lane, wouldnt you be the one at fault in the evnt if an accident? Maybe car manufacturers should just produce a special edition of their cars for the northeast that doesnt bother incorporating signal lights. Would probably save them some money in the manufacturing process.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Oh and the other thing is clearing snow off. Are people really that lazy now?
yes they are, and they always have been. too many people clean off just enough snow or ice to be able to see out from the drivers seat.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Just about all of the bad habits, poor decisions, and purely moronic behavior has been around for decades. There are more cars and traffic now, which may exasperate it a little. Also, cell phone distractions are certainly new and problematic. That said, there were no shortage of poor drivers back in the day either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive