Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:08 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times

Advertisements

Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:15 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
The same reason people tune into watch Duck Dynasty. The IQ of this country is falling and people want to live in perpetuity with payments of some sort.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Why do you care?

Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Marketing, making people believe what they appear to be is more important, a status symbol.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:48 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The same reason people tune into watch Duck Dynasty. The IQ of this country is falling and people want to live in perpetuity with payments of some sort.
LOL

(My parents watch Duck Dynasty. My mother has an S550 and my father drives an older Chrysler Town and Country. They make over 200k a year though, so in their case, they just have really bad taste when it comes to television!)

Back on topic... most luxury cars are marketed towards the middle class, believe it or not. The middle class is defined several ways, but taking average incomes from the 20% to 80% tax bracket means that people who are making $47k up $142k.

Some people define middle class as making up to $250k... but all the people I know who think that are multi millionaires LOL.

At any rate, if you're making between $100-150k, and your financial house is in order, buying a $80-$100k automobile is not difficult.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:52 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Far too many people want things that they can't afford. Owning an expensive car says a lot about who you are. People have always been buying the better, fastest, and newest thing. We are taught in school to be consumers.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
My years in the military have shown me that on average, the lower a Soldier gets paid, the more they spend on a car. I don't get it. Junior enlisted guys are buying Audi and Infinti while officers are driving Toyota, Honda and Chevy.

But it seems like people these days are all about projecting an image so they can look like they have more money than they really do. It can be with their cars, clothes or other material things.

We have a Hyundai and Kia, we use pre-paid cell phones. I rarely buy clothes. I'd rather spend my money on stuff such as good food than clothes or cars.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL

(My parents watch Duck Dynasty. My mother has an S550 and my father drives an older Chrysler Town and Country. They make over 200k a year though, so in their case, they just have really bad taste when it comes to television!)

Back on topic... most luxury cars are marketed towards the middle class, believe it or not. The middle class is defined several ways, but taking average incomes from the 20% to 80% tax bracket means that people who are making $47k up $142k.

Some people define middle class as making up to $250k... but all the people I know who think that are multi millionaires LOL.

At any rate, if you're making between $100-150k, and your financial house is in order, buying a $80-$100k automobile is not difficult.
Maybe it’s just me, but I’d think someone’s financial house is in disorder if they’re buying an $80k vehicle at that income level. There’s not a luxury car out there that won’t see its value halved after three years.

There's a lot of people racing towards retirement broke, but hey they looked good getting there.

I rather spend money on other things.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
My years in the military have shown me that on average, the lower a Soldier gets paid, the more they spend on a car. I don't get it. Junior enlisted guys are buying Audi and Infinti while officers are driving Toyota, Honda and Chevy.

But it seems like people these days are all about projecting an image so they can look like they have more money than they really do. It can be with their cars, clothes or other material things.

We have a Hyundai and Kia, we use pre-paid cell phones. I rarely buy clothes. I'd rather spend my money on stuff such as good food than clothes or cars.

It's not luxury brand cars, one can easily spend $50k plus on a new truck.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why do you care?
Woohoo only 3 posts to get the OFFICIAL unofficial "City Data Response"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive