Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
it's worse, they lease because they can't afford the downpayment for financing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Good for you still doesn’t change anything.
What exactly do you mean when you say "still doesn't change anything?" If your referring to people spending irresponsibly you are correct. It won't change them. I'm just pointing out just how easy it is to get a nice car or a nice life and still be responsible enough so you are financially secure in the future.

The point of my post was I will never feel sorry for most people who are broke because its very easy not to be broke. Chances are they went out of their way to end up that way. Most people who have a bit of financial knowledge feel the same way as me. The only reason many people don't understand how irresponsible the majority of Americans are is because "financial irresponsibility" is not something you can visually see.

However, irresponsible people complaining about being broke is as pathetic as an obese guy complaining that he cant get a date. I'm assuming of course that the guy doesn't have a medical condition that makes it impossible to lose weight. The point is, no one is going to feel sorry for that loser because the reason for his failure to get a date is physically apparent and its his fault. Financial irresponsibly is the EXACT same thing with the difference being that its invisible to others.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I'm just pointing out just how easy it is to get a nice car or a nice life and still be responsible enough so you are financially secure in the future.
A person driving a luxury car may very well have spent less than a person driving a regular car.
But people that don't know anything will make assumptions. Let them make 'em...

Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
How do you know someone’s income, unless they tell you?
Sometimes you know the industry or company they work for... and so have a pretty good idea.

Sometimes they're your co-workers... so you have a pretty good idea.

I have plenty of co-workers who make approximately the same money as I do, and drive nice cars/pickups that cost a significant fraction of their annual income. I know people who make significantly less money who do the same.

I think it's stupid... it's a demonstrably poor financial decision. But I'm not in the business of telling them so unless they specifically ask.

Most think I'm odd for driving a vehicle with 320,000 miles and old enough to vote. They wouldn't find it quite as odd if they knew my net worth. Decisions like this really add up over time, especially if you forego that car payment and invest it instead.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 AM

680 posts, read 533,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Sometimes you know the industry or company they work for... and so have a pretty good idea.

Sometimes they're your co-workers... so you have a pretty good idea.

I have plenty of co-workers who make approximately the same money as I do, and drive nice cars/pickups that cost a significant fraction of their annual income. I know people who make significantly less money who do the same.

I think it's stupid... it's a demonstrably poor financial decision. But I'm not in the business of telling them so unless they specifically ask.

Most think I'm odd for driving a vehicle with 320,000 miles and old enough to vote. They wouldn't find it quite as odd if they knew my net worth. Decisions like this really add up over time, especially if you forego that car payment and invest it instead.
More money, more bills. It's true, if someone spends and invests money wisely they can be better off, than someone with a higher income that doesn't make sound financial choices.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
it's worse, they lease because they can't afford the downpayment for financing
If you get outside of Arkansas, you would see/know that a lot more people can afford such vehicles.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say "still doesn't change anything?" If your referring to people spending irresponsibly you are correct. It won't change them. I'm just pointing out just how easy it is to get a nice car or a nice life and still be responsible enough so you are financially secure in the future.

The point of my post was I will never feel sorry for most people who are broke because its very easy not to be broke. Chances are they went out of their way to end up that way. Most people who have a bit of financial knowledge feel the same way as me. The only reason many people don't understand how irresponsible the majority of Americans are is because "financial irresponsibility" is not something you can visually see.

However, irresponsible people complaining about being broke is as pathetic as an obese guy complaining that he cant get a date. I'm assuming of course that the guy doesn't have a medical condition that makes it impossible to lose weight. The point is, no one is going to feel sorry for that loser because the reason for his failure to get a date is physically apparent and its his fault. Financial irresponsibly is the EXACT same thing with the difference being that its invisible to others.
It’s still none of your business no matter what you think and say that’s why i don’t waste my time worrying about other people do.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
.....Want another shocker? Look into how much it costs to replace a new Ford EPAS steering rack.
Not to mention the Ford pick-ups where you must remove the cab of the truck to extract spark plug #7 and #8 if you break either one of these when replacing the plugs. Some Repair Shops won't even perform sparkplug replacement on these specific models due to the high cost if a plug snaps in half during removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive