Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's not luxury brand cars, one can easily spend $50k plus on a new truck.
The first new truck I bought was 24,000 bucks and it had just about anything I needed or want. Some people overspend because there are good salesmen out there who will get you to buy more than you need. You would be surprised how easy it is to talk someone into “upgrades”. And some people flat out need to show they are successful and have the im better than you attitude and buying expensive cars is one way to show it

I dont drive fancy cars. But my trucks do look brand new. About the only person who gets a new car is my wife and that’s about every 10 years. I may take her old car which is in perfect shape,

I dont much care what someone spends their money on and if they are in financial straights. If they ask me for advice I won’t sugar coat it but other than that it’s your life your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I just assume the middle class people with the luxury cars are the higher income middle class people. Middle class has a wide income range.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Maybe, just maybe, some of these people can actually afford it? Just a thought

Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I drive a $50K car for two reasons 1) I like it 2) I can afford it.

Judging by where I live, you probably wonder why I drive it. Well, I like my house too. We could afford a house worth twice as much, but I don't want one. I like the house I have and don't want to move. You have no idea how much money people have. People probably look at our lifestyle, and think we can't afford an expensive car. They're wrong. We have more money than I think most people assume we have.

And it doesn't need to have a luxury emblem on it to be $50K+ I have an Explorer Platinum. I know someone who spent $60K on a pick-up truck. But someone sees a BMW and thinks, "Oh, a BMW, it must have cost a fortune," when if fact, depending on the model, it may very well have cost less than my Ford.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Judging by where I live, you probably wonder why I drive it. Well, I like my house too. We could afford a house worth twice as much, but I don't want one. I like the house I have and don't want to move. You have no idea how much money people have. People probably look at our lifestyle, and think we can't afford an expensive car. They're wrong. We have more money than I think most people assume we have.

And it doesn't need to have a luxury emblem on it to be $50K+ I have an Explorer Platinum. I know someone who spent $60K on a pick-up truck. But someone sees a BMW and thinks, "Oh, a BMW, it must have cost a fortune," when if fact, depending on the model, it may very well have cost less than my Ford.
The financial impact of a BMW is not reflected in the window sticker, but in the cost of ownership.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:

When I read luxury cars....a Ford Explorer to me isn’t in that group. To me a luxury car is the S series 7 series Lexus 400 series Range Rover Land Rover Jaguar basically 70k and up. At one time 50k was luxury car territory but now...anything in the 40-50-60k is really what’s considered common type vehicles to me. It may be a fully loaded model but it a run of the mill vehicle. We’re looking at buying a new car in the next two years. I’m thinking either a Telluride or the Hyundai version. I wouldn’t mind a Explorer Platinum AWD Twin Turbo Ecoboost. Either of those SUVs is gonna run 45/50k.

I think by saying luxury OP really means to say people buying cars where the the income level and type of car do not match

Old 06-22-2019, 04:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I wouldn’t mind a Explorer Platinum AWD Twin Turbo Ecoboost. Either of those SUVs is gonna run 45/50k.
That's what I have, and I love it. I also considered the Acura MDX and Volvo XC90. The Volvo was beautiful, but just a little too small for what we use it for. I also liked the Acura, but once you put in certain options, which were actually kind of basic stuff to me, the second row automatically "upgrades" to two captains chairs, thus making it a 6 passenger car instead of a 7 passenger car. That was a deal breaker for me, since we stuff 7 people in our car pretty regularly. And the Explorer actually has options in it that aren't even available on most cars, including the Acura.

The Platinum engine is great. It's amazingly quick and sporty for an SUV that size. But the performance definitely comes at the expense of gas mileage. I had an Expedition before the Explorer, and the gas mileage on both is about the same, if that tells you anything.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That's what I have, and I love it. I also considered the Acura MDX and Volvo XC90. The Volvo was beautiful, but just a little too small for what we use it for. I also liked the Acura, but once you put in certain options, which were actually kind of basic stuff to me, the second row automatically "upgrades" to two captains chairs, thus making it a 6 passenger car instead of a 7 passenger car. That was a deal breaker for me, since we stuff 7 people in our car pretty regularly. And the Explorer actually has options in it that aren't even available on most cars, including the Acura.

The Platinum engine is great. It's amazingly quick and sporty for an SUV that size. But the performance definitely comes at the expense of gas mileage. I had an Expedition before the Explorer, and the gas mileage on both is about the same, if that tells you anything.
Yeah that’s the problem with the Ecoboost. It’s either Eco or Boost. It’s never both. We just started getting F150s at my last company before I went to work for the place I work now. The owner only bought V8s but for that year we couldn’t get the cab configuration with the V8 so he got some TT EcoBoost. I drove one. It was pretty quick for a 3.5 liter. Not sure how they’re doing but my buddy has a Flex with one and he just got a water pump replaced. He pretty much had a aneurism when he saw the bill.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah that’s the problem with the Ecoboost. It’s either Eco or Boost. It’s never both. We just started getting F150s at my last company before I went to work for the place I work now. The owner only bought V8s but for that year we couldn’t get the cab configuration with the V8 so he got some TT EcoBoost. I drove one. It was pretty quick for a 3.5 liter. Not sure how they’re doing but my buddy has a Flex with one and he just got a water pump replaced. He pretty much had a aneurism when he saw the bill.
There is no "problem" here. They work as intended but they do have higher MPG variability depending on how much of a lead foot someone is. (All turbo based engines tend to have a higher spready between their city and highway stated MPG numbers.)

If they slam on the gas constantly (engaging the turbo all the time) that's just bad driving, not the fault of the engine. My Dad drives like that...either at 10% power or 80% power it seems like....he can't work the middle.

Overall, though, put an EcoBoost 2.0L in a vehicle and it will get better fuel mileage (10-20%), with more power, than the standard V6 it replaced. That's why they are so popular, and every other OEM is doing the same thing with turbo engines.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
There is no "problem" here. They work as intended but they do have higher MPG variability depending on how much of a lead foot someone is. (All turbo based engines tend to have a higher spready between their city and highway stated MPG numbers.)

If they slam on the gas constantly (engaging the turbo all the time) that's just bad driving, not the fault of the engine. My Dad drives like that...either at 10% power or 80% power it seems like....he can't work the middle.

Overall, though, put an EcoBoost 2.0L in a vehicle and it will get better fuel mileage (10-20%), with more power, than the standard V6 it replaced. That's why they are so popular, and every other OEM is doing the same thing with turbo engines.
Nah, my turbo vehicle gets great mileage. Beats the EPA rating significantly. My daily commute has me at 28.1mpg after a few hundred miles, and epa highway is only 27. SOME turbo vehicles dont do well with the mpg.

Previously, I had the NA motor version of the vehicle, and it got worse mpg even though epa rated it higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive