Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I'm calling BS on that. Post a copy of the repair order where we can see it.

There must have been some other work done or you don't know the whole story. A water pump on any EcoBoost motor doesn't cost that much to replace.

I just checked on a 2.0L EcoBoost in a Fusion and it should be around $700 parts & labor.
Call bs all you want pal. Doesn’t make it less true. He didn’t have the 2.0. I’m not posting my buddy’s repair bill on here. I really could care less if you believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
3.5L Water pump is internal and chain driven. You need to take a good chunk of the engine apart to get at it and remove the timing chains. Some cars require the engine dropped.

Smack dab in the middle (front timing cover removed)

I've seen $1500 thrown around as an average number for the repair. Quite common failure, but usually over 100K miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMiSc8epmn0

Want another shocker? Look into how much it costs to replace a new Ford EPAS steering rack.
Stuff like this is why my Cadillac has a 5 year extended warranty.
It doesn't even have to be a Cadillac to rack up a big repair bill.

Something like that happens to my car... $100.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,934,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Call bs all you want pal. Doesn’t make it less true. He didn’t have the 2.0. I’m not posting my buddy’s repair bill on here. I really could care less if you believe me.
My apologies....I was thinking the 2.0L engine was in that vehicle. (Even so, when I said post the bill I assumed you would hide any of the personal info on it. ha ha.)

That being said, buying or not buying a car based on a potential water pump issue is just odd, especially when it's something that doesn't really break all that often. (I know the other poster claimed this was "common" but I would disagree with that given the parts sales on that particular part.) There are loads of examples of unique parts on various vehicles that may be more expensive to fix than their counterparts. At least in this case it's a design issue that makes that pump expensive to replace, where some "luxury" car makes charge an arm and a leg for things "just because."

Old 06-24-2019, 11:00 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Why do middle class Americans buy four times the house they need? Why do they run up five-figure credit card balances buying useless stuff they don't need? Why do middle class Americans buy giant pickups that cost as much as their annual income?

Merica. That's why.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Why do middle class Americans buy four times the house they need? Why do they run up five-figure credit card balances buying useless stuff they don't need? Why do middle class Americans buy giant pickups that cost as much as their annual income?

Merica. That's why.
And why do people care it’s not effecting their life so why do people care what others do with their finances, it none of our business is it.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And why do people care it’s not effecting their life so why do people care what others do with their finances, it none of our business is it.
Because the same people that spend recklessly throughout their life, living paycheck to paycheck are the same ones complaining that its because of "the system" that they are poor and in need of handouts in their older years. Its NEVER their fault. This self deluded denial of their own mistakes leads them to demand that the government take care of them. The American culture of "instant gratification" took hold decades ago and each new generation took it to a new level. This is why a higher percentage of seniors are on medicaid then ever before. This is why social security is the primary source income for most seniors and a higher percentage of seniors rely on it then ever before:

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2018/...ocial-Security

Did you notice the really interesting part of that link? When these morons were younger most did not think they would need social security as a primary source of income. They had zero clue on responsible financial habits and kept blowing their money on things like leasing luxury cars they can't afford. When these same people were polled when they retired, most ended up needing SS as their primary source of income!! But of course that must have been due to all the bad luck in their life and none of it was their fault.

So why does any of that make it my business how people spend their money? Because in the end its the responsible people that end up having to bail out the irresponsible screw ups of society who were too stupid to plan for their own future. The US has a history of implementing handout programs that disproportionately helps take care of the screw ups who cause their own hardships. Guess who has to pay for that? People like me who chose to be responsible and not make reckless financial decisions that result in a dismal future. Don't get me wrong, if someone can responsibly afford a $60-$200K car; please go buy it. However, the fact is that the majority of people in these luxury vehicles are your future leeches that we will be forced to take care of in the form of new taxes.

Last edited by griffon652; 06-25-2019 at 04:11 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
I feel bad for the people who can genuinely afford it, and yet are subject to the judgement of others as assuming they cannot. Based on the fact this thread went 27 pages, that seems to be a good number of people.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Because the same people that spend recklessly throughout their life, living paycheck to paycheck are the same ones complaining that its because of "the system" that they are poor and in need of handouts in their older years. Its NEVER their fault. This self deluded denial of their own mistakes leads them to demand that the government take care of them. The American culture of "instant gratification" took hold decades ago and each new generation took it to a new level. This is why a higher percentage of seniors are on medicaid then ever before. This is why social security is the primary source income for most seniors and a higher percentage of seniors rely on it then ever before:

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2018/...ocial-Security

Did you notice the really interesting part of that link? When these morons were younger most did not think they would need social security as a primary source of income. They had zero clue on responsible financial habits and kept blowing their money on things like leasing luxury cars they can't afford. When these same people were polled when they retired, most ended up needing SS as their primary source of income!! But of course that must have been due to all the bad luck in their life and none of it was their fault.

So why does any of that make it my business how people spend their money? Because in the end its the responsible people that end up having to bail out the irresponsible screw ups of society who were too stupid to plan for their own future. The US has a history of implementing handout programs that disproportionately helps take care of the screw ups who cause their own hardships. Guess who has to pay for that? People like me who chose to be responsible and not make reckless financial decisions that result in a dismal future. Don't get me wrong, if someone can responsibly afford a $60-$200K car; please go buy it. However, the fact is that the majority of people in these luxury vehicles are your future leeches that we will be forced to take care of in the form of new taxes.
Again how does this effect you personally social security has been in trouble ever since the government keep taking money out of the system to pay for pet projects and never paying it back. And companies getting rid of pensions, look at teamsters pension fund it’s going broke because of bad investments. So what you are saying can be said about Wall Street also with their bailout. I didn’t see any money coming out of my paychecks to help with the bailout. So i could care less what other people buy with their money and others should do the same. The way people spend their money is not your concern, is just being a nosy person just worry about your own finances. And besides you don’t know a persons ability to pay for a luxury vehicle you are just jumping to assumptions like many people do but in reality you haven’t a clue you just like poking your nose into others people business. And allot of people who rely on social security as their major life support might of had a nice 401k but got wiped out when the economy went to hell when the housing crash happened.

Last edited by easy62; 06-25-2019 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,328,680 times
I'm upper middle class and I buy what I like. So often my driveway looks like this:

That represented about a $17,000 total purchase cost for both vehicles, and over 5 years about $1500 in maintenance and repairs for both. I loved driving them. Used the Range rover to tow my travel trailer all over the east coast:

The trailer cost as much as the two of them combined...

A few years later this was the combo in the driveway:

This pair actually cost less than the previous pair (about $15k for both). Get compliments on them all the time. (well, not the 7 as I sold it after 5 years to get the Volt). None of them are status symbols, but all are quite nice to drive. The 7 series of that generation is probably my favorite sedan of all time, and the ZHP convertible just a fun backroad car. And that's why I buy them as a middle class person. I'm on the lookout for the right 2001 750iL Sport, the V12 version this time.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:00 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Again how does this effect you personally social security has been in trouble ever since the government keep taking money out of the system to pay for pet projects and never paying it back. And companies getting rid of pensions, look at teamsters pension fund it’s going broke because of bad investments. So what you are saying can be said about Wall Street also with their bailout. I didn’t see any money coming out of my paychecks to help with the bailout. So i could care less what other people buy with their money and others should do the same. The way people spend their money is not your concern, is just being a nosy person just worry about your own finances. And besides you don’t know a persons ability to pay for a luxury vehicle you are just jumping to assumptions like many people do but in reality you haven’t a clue you just like poking your nose into others people business. And allot of people who rely on social security as their major life support might of had a nice 401k but got wiped out when the economy went to hell when the housing crash happened.

You thinking that you didn't pay for the bailout is exactly why you misunderstood my post. If you would like me to explain how let me know. Please brush up on economic fundamentals, politics, how the government sets its yearly budget and how your tax dollars work. Once you do, the accuracy of my previous post becomes very obvious. I would delve into why your excuse regarding the economic and housing crash is completely irrelevant but I don't want make this post longer.

Also, I was referring to NEW programs that will be implemented in the future using your tax dollars. I was only using SS as an example of how our social programs goes towards mostly supporting the irresponsible instead of those in true need. So I apologize, I should have been more precise regarding what I meant. For example, they just approved a new handout in CA. Now illegals in CA will get full healthcare off the backs of the people that work and pay taxes in CA legally. As a bonus if your a legal citizen in CA and choose to not carry health insurance you will pay a new penalty (unrelated to the ACA) that will solely go towards funding health care for illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive