Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I thought it clamped on somehow.

No.....it's doesn't look like it. I think it just sits there.

I think it's just a slightly smaller version of this:
Buy online top recommended Car Laptop/Eating Steering Wheel Desk (Gray) on carkart.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
But then they would have no need to have it on their steering wheel. they could just have their laptop on, well, their actual lap.
It will be very uncomfortable. You are looking down.

Admit it. You had a knee jersey reaction seeing this device. Is it a gimmick? Yeah but some people may actually have use for it

Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Many people have use for a laptop in their car, such as police, EMTs, utility workers and contractors. You cannot assume that someone would be using it while driving. Personally, I find the console mount a better choice, for better room to work, but this product doesn't strike me as stupid or dangerous.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
LOL. Check on Amazon for steering wheel tables. Some hilarious customer pictures and stories (few of them serious). I spent quite some time reading the hilarious reviews a year or two back.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
People watch movies on their in-dash video monitor, text on their cell phones, use the laptop that's resting on the passenger seat, and drive with their little dog standing in their lap, so...

Old 10-23-2015, 06:29 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Im a sales person on the road pretty often. This looks pretty handy for handling emails etc. No possible way to drive with this thing attached.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
It will be very uncomfortable. You are looking down.

Admit it. You had a knee jersey reaction seeing this device. Is it a gimmick? Yeah but some people may actually have use for it
Not sure what a knee jersey reaction is, but if you're saying I had a knee-jerk reaction, then yes, I probably did. But now after a whole day to consider it more, I still think it's a very ill-thought and potentially unsafe product. Some knee-jerk reactions are quite appropriate and accurate.

Upon further thought after my knee-jersey reaction, I've also considered how having any contraption attached to my steering wheel would be annoying and would get in my way. Who wants some crap attached to their steering wheel while driving, even if it might provide some comfort when you're facebooking while watching soccer practice?

And here's another wrinkle I hadn't even thought of yesterday: how does it affect airbag deployment? Sure it's probably lightweight, but if propelled into your face, neck, or chest by a rapidly deploying airbag, it's sure to cause some injury you wouldn't otherwise have.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:36 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:

And here's another wrinkle I hadn't even thought of yesterday: how does it affect airbag deployment? Sure it's probably lightweight, but if propelled into your face, neck, or chest by a rapidly deploying airbag, it's sure to cause some injury you wouldn't otherwise have.

It will have no effect on airbag deployment if used properly.

Meaning - Don't attach it to the wheel while driving.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It's actually a pretty interesting solution for traveling sales reps and account managers because they have always had a need to be on their laptop or tablet in the car while in the field. It would be more practical than using a car desk on the passenger seat for the laptop/tablet, since that requires a reach and sitting at an odd angle when in the driver's seat. However, for the portable printer and other necessary items for a mobile office, the car desk and this fold out perch would not be a bad solution at all. People do need to do things other than drive in their vehicle, depending upon occupation, because it is a secured space that they own, and in which they can connect on their own secured network, not public WiFi which is forbidden for any company-owned computing device in many organizations for good reason.

Manufacturers fill a need and it is up to the individual to use the product responsibly. Even an automobile can be an instrument of death and destruction if used improperly, or a means of transportation to ferry one from their home to wherever they need to go, the responsibility of use is in the hands of the operator, not the manufacturer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Yes, but cell phones aren't for use while driving either. But does that stop people from texting and driving. It doesn't say anything about not being usable while driving. From the picture, it looks like I can drive and type away.
Car phones were meant to be used while driving. Just as cell phones are also named "mobile phones" and were meant to be used anywhere. Of course texting was never an issue until recently which opened up a whole new can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive