Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times

Advertisements

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...all-less-safe/

"It shall be unlawful for any person to access, without authorization, an electronic control unit or critical system of a motor vehicle, or other system containing driving data for such motor vehicle, either wirelessly or through a wired connection."

As the article states it would also make it illegal for researchers to look for bugs, unless they are authorized to do so.

It also looks like it would also end up being illegal to do any tuning on your car depending on what "system containing driving data" means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...all-less-safe/

"It shall be unlawful for any person to access, without authorization, an electronic control unit or critical system of a motor vehicle, or other system containing driving data for such motor vehicle, either wirelessly or through a wired connection."

As the article states it would also make it illegal for researchers to look for bugs, unless they are authorized to do so.

It also looks like it would also end up being illegal to do any tuning on your car depending on what "system containing driving data" means.
You mean like this?

Carmakers Want To Use Copyright Law To Make Working On Your Car Illegal

Auto manufacturers sure are desperate to make your car NOT yours anymore...

I wonder if it's actually a "first step" to abolish private vehicle ownership? Here are a couple coinciding trends...

The much discussed lack of interest Millennials supposedly have in cars... really more like telling millennials what they should/shouldn't like repeatedly until they believe it.

With self-driving cars soon to be unleashed on the world, it would be insanely convenient to rent or do some kind of rideshare instead of owning your own vehicle... call in a rental request and the car drives itself straight to your door, then leaves after it takes you where to go. Also, you could get whatever kind of auto you needed for what you are doing... need to move a sofa? Rent a truck. Take a bunch of kids to a birthday part? request a passenger van. Hot date? how about a 2 seat convertible?

If the price is right, I think the number of private vehicles will drop substantially just because of that.

A road system that required all vehicles to be online and under central control would be very efficient and quick transportation. Traffic accidents would be rare events and traffic jams might even be substantially mitigated or disappear altogether. The technology now exists to do it as well.

There has been a shift in thinking about autos in general, from being passionate about them to thinking of them as mere appliances.

Prices are being driven sky-high, slowly making it impossible for "rank and file" members of society to even consider buying a new car and pushing up prices on used cars.

As for making it illegal to tamper with your vehicle, that could serve to reinforce and get you used to the idea that your car isn't "yours", not to mention that messing with the systems of a self-driving car would be very problematic.

It's easy to imagine a near-future world where no one but the super-rich own private vehicles authorized for road use, where "classic cars" (i.e. manual drive cars) are banned from street use and we all get around with public transportation and/or getting a membership from a car "club" which would deliver self-driving cars (that you cannot directly control) to your door for a monthly or more likely per mile fee...

Last edited by Chango; 10-23-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 AM

Yeah, but that one was dreamed up by the auto manufacturers, this one's from our ever vigilant[/S] government.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
regardless of who is making these types of laws, it makes me real happy to still be driving my vintage 82 fairmont where the only computer is in the aftermarket stereo.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
regardless of who is making these types of laws, it makes me real happy to still be driving my vintage 82 fairmont where the only computer is in the aftermarket stereo.
I'd argue that but I've got nothing...

Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
My cars are so old they don't even have airbags.Once I had a passenger side airbag but she divorced me.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
SEMA would be all over that, using current legislation about fair trade and the ability of the aftermarket to manufacture parts to shut it down if it were to become a full fledged bill (which it's not now). I wouldn't worry too much about the current language in it.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
SEMA would be all over that, using current legislation about fair trade and the ability of the aftermarket to manufacture parts to shut it down if it were to become a full fledged bill (which it's not now). I wouldn't worry too much about the current language in it.
Yeah, but it's the government we're talking about, they aren't the brightest bulb in the dashboard.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:34 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
My cars are so old they don't even have airbags.Once I had a passenger side airbag but she divorced me.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
"It shall be unlawful for any person to access, without authorization, an electronic control unit or critical system of a motor vehicle, or other system containing driving data for such motor vehicle, either wirelessly or through a wired connection.".

So that means hooking up an OBD2 scanner would be illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive