Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:31 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times

Advertisements

I've seen the thread on restoring the headlights, but I would like to know if there is something pro-actively I could use on my two-year-old vehicle to stop the yellowing before it starts. I had an old Toyota that looked brand-new because I waxed it so frequently....except for the darn headlights. I bought a restoration kit and it looked good for about a day. I would like to prevent it on this vehicle, if that is possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
about the best you can do is maintain what you have. clear plastic will yellow and oxidize regularly. a lot of guys have had some luck with doing a light regular sanding with a very fine grit paper, and then hitting the lights with clear coat. that will give some UV protection for a couple of years until the clear coat starts to yellow and fade, then sand it off and clear it again.

once the lights oxidize, you need to go through the sanding, polishing and clearing bit regularly.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:38 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Most of those restoration kits come with a dealer to prevent it coming back right away did you not apply that?

But you want to get some sort of UV protectant on them. The wax I use, Zaino, does a good job of that and is safe to apply to plastic.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
I would imagine using a little polishing compound on them occasionally will prevent it. You'll basically be removing a little each time instead of waiting around to do it all at once.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:04 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
I have a theory that garaging a vehicle is the best way to prevent oxidation/clouding of the headlight lenses. That way, the amount of UV light to which the lenses are subjected is reduced to a great extent. All of my vehicles since 1986 have been garaged, and none of them ever suffered from that problem with the headlight lenses--even after as much as ten years of ownership.

The cars in question--a Ford Taurus, a Honda Accord, and three Subaru Outbacks--were driven on the interstate highway daily, so they did get their share of hits from rocks, gravel, and grit, and yet none of them ever wound up with clouded headlight lenses.
I have to think that garaging them made the difference.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
I agree with protecting the entire vehicle, paint as well as plastic, by parking in a Garage or Carport whenever possible and when out and about, a shady parking spot.

Also, a quick Wax / Polish at least once every two or three months or at least twice a year when Waxing / Polishing the entire vehicle.

Anything to limit the amount of UV damage.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:40 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
3M makes clear film headlight protective covers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...wuqcbm4is_e_p4

X-Pel Headlight Protection - 3m Headlight Protection Film, Clear Headlight UV Lens Protector

Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
Headlight sealer specifically made for headlights. Regular paint clear coat will eventually peel off.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
There are dedicated coatings for headlights but I would just use CarPro CQuartz and be done with it

Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have a theory that garaging a vehicle is the best way to prevent oxidation/clouding of the headlight lenses. That way, the amount of UV light to which the lenses are subjected is reduced to a great extent. All of my vehicles since 1986 have been garaged, and none of them ever suffered from that problem with the headlight lenses--even after as much as ten years of ownership.

The cars in question--a Ford Taurus, a Honda Accord, and three Subaru Outbacks--were driven on the interstate highway daily, so they did get their share of hits from rocks, gravel, and grit, and yet none of them ever wound up with clouded headlight lenses.
I have to think that garaging them made the difference.

Right, yeah, the Toyota I mentioned was in a carport most of its life, facing the shade, but later it was just in the driveway, completely unprotected. Maybe that's when the headlights really started going downhill. I think the headlight restorer had a little sanding pad with it but I'm sure I didn't have a lot of oomph behind it.

The vehicle I have now is in the aforementioned carport facing the shade. I was going to start reversing it now and then so the back was not constantly subjected to the sun, but now I'm thinking that will just accelerate the headlight issue so maybe not.

Thanks for the tips, I will try some of the things you've mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive