Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in a month-41 miles each way, mix of highway and stop and go driving. Currently I work in higher education, so during the last couple of NJ winters we were closed pretty much anytime there was a significant accumulation (6+ inches) of snow overnight or in the early morning hours. At the new job I anticipate having to go to work no matter what the weather. Right now I run a set of General Altimax all-season tires which I'm very happy with after about a year/18,000 miles. I've been looking at the winter tire equivalent, the Altimax Arctics, which got good reviews a head-to-head tire test against a few others:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=123

The test results are pretty clear-driving on snow, the studs make almost no difference, which is to be expected, but on ice, the studs make a marked difference, which is also no surprise. The studs also contribute to a poorer cornering and braking performance on both dry and wet pavement as a result of the metal studs skittering over the asphalt. The dilemma is that I will likely see all of the above driving the 41 miles to work in the snow. Some roads will be snow covered, others will be icy, still others will be just wet pavement. That said, would studs be overkill? You certainly don't see them very often in NJ, but you honestly don't see a lot of snow tires either-just lots of people who slide all over the place on their all-seasons

I'd love to hear some real world accounts of those who have driven with studs and without. I think if I did run studs I'd be a little more inclined to swap them out for the all-seasons when snow is not in the forecast for a while and then back on when there's a chance. I have a garage, a good floor jack, and air tools, so swapping wheels (14" - 4 bolt) takes 20 minutes tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:22 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
IMO, "all season" tires are at best a joke, and at worst downright dangerous, in that they give a false sense of security.
If you must drive on snow and ice, you need a REAL M&S tire, with an aggressive tread.
I used studs many years ago, and they were great on hard packed snow and ice, but only a little better than good snow tires most of the time. I used them that one season, and haven't used them since.
I run M&S tires on my 4X4 truck year round. Yes, they are somewhat noisy on the highway, but I can put up with the noise in exchange for the increased traction.
I recommend snow tires on all four wheels. Yes, being able to GO is wonderful, but being able to STEER is also great, as is being able to STOP!
The smart thing to do, if you have the money, is to get an extra set of rims to mount the snow tires on. It makes the swap much easier! From what I see in your post, that is what you plan to do.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The smart thing to do, if you have the money, is to get an extra set of rims to mount the snow tires on. It makes the swap much easier! From what I see in your post, that is what you plan to do.
I don't see how you would do it any other way? Around here it can be anywhere from $15-20 per tire for mounting and balancing, plus you'd have to transport four complete wheels plus four tires to and from the shop. If I had that kind of time and money I probably wouldn't have to be working a job that forced me to commute in the snow I've already got a line on four 14" steelies off of Craiglist-$50 for the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I used studs many years ago, and they were great on hard packed snow and ice, but only a little better than good snow tires most of the time. I used them that one season, and haven't used them since.
There's a no vote from someone in Montana, so that definitely says something.

Last edited by Badfish740; 11-02-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
A few years back my wife was traveling all over Wyoming and Colorado for work (temp pharmacist), often needing to make 300+ mile one way drives. While I'm a WY Native and used to winter driving, we Really had the wrong tires on the car after moving up from Arizona... hard all-seasons that do fine in the hot desert, not so good with frozen precipitation.

Anyway, I did a ton of homework and knew that I didn't have room to store a second set of tires, what I came up with were the Nokian WR all-seasons. They're winter rated all-season tires (and were the only ones through ~ 2010 when I bought a 2nd set), meaning you run them year round. I was simply astounded by how good they were, easily as good as other non-studded winter tires that I was able to test (on other vehicles, granted) and phenomenal in the summer wet, which I learned after moving to Georgia. They have sorta short life at 60k claimed (I was in the 50~55k range on both sets).

Running those tires on our FWD Jetta for a combined 90~100k miles in the mountains, she had zero issues and I only had one. Trying to drive up my parents unplowed driveway after 6~8" of snow... I simply high-centered myself on the skidplate with packed snow. If the car had more than ~3" of ground clearance, or I wasn't an idiot, it wouldn't have happened.

As for studded vs not, I've never lived somewhere with Sustained ice coverage where studs are a benefit. I'm not a fan of the ride, the noise and the road damage either.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Real snow tires without studs are the way to go. I have the Altimax Arctics and they seem to work fine here in Vermont.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Anyway, I did a ton of homework and knew that I didn't have room to store a second set of tires, what I came up with were the Nokian WR all-seasons. They're winter rated all-season tires (and were the only ones through ~ 2010 when I bought a 2nd set), meaning you run them year round. I was simply astounded by how good they were, easily as good as other non-studded winter tires that I was able to test (on other vehicles, granted) and phenomenal in the summer wet, which I learned after moving to Georgia. They have sorta short life at 60k claimed (I was in the 50~55k range on both sets).
I'll check them out as I've always heard good things about Nokians, but I also know they're pricey. Plus I have plenty of room to store an extra set and have the tools to swap them quickly and easily.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'll check them out as I've always heard good things about Nokians, but I also know they tend to be pricey. Plus I have plenty of room to store an extra set of tires and have the tools to swap them quickly and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Real snow tires without studs are the way to go. I have the Altimax Arctics and they seem to work fine here in Vermont.
How would you rate them as far as treadwear? Do you put them on once the snow flies and leave them on until Spring?

Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM

Up here lots of people also swear by whatever the latest Hakka is, so they're worth looking at.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'll check them out as I've always heard good things about Nokians, but I also know they tend to be pricey. Plus I have plenty of room to store an extra set and have the tools to swap them quickly and easily.

How would you rate them as far as treadwear? Do you put them on once the snow flies and leave them on until Spring?
I assume they wear out faster than all-seasons (aka summer tires), but I'd still rather have snow tires on. And yes, I just put mine on a week ago and I'll take them off once winter ends. To be safe that usually means May up here, although I'm sure some people take them off in April.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Real snow tires are the only good option when commuting in the snow so the Arctics you are considering will work for you. Studs are a disadvantage when you don't really need them (ice) and are illegal in some states or some months. Swapping wheels/tires twice a year works best but not everyone can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive