Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:42 PM

422 posts, read 574,996 times

Advertisements

I've wanted a wrx since I first saw a 2004 sti. As a 22 year old kid I couldn't afford a new sti. It's one car I would be extremely hesitant to buy used, unless I personally knew the owner or had some way to assure the car wasn't overly abused. No one pays nearly 40k for an sti to baby it.

I'm 3 years away from a new car purchase. I've wanted an sti for 11 years now, and it hasn't stopped being a car I aspire to own. The nearly 40k price point has me gun shy. That's a lot of money to me.

To those who own one or have owned one, can I hear your experiences? To the inevitable "just get the wrx and not sti to save money", I'd listen to that also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I think by now most of these cars have seen the wrong side of a hedge.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:47 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I think you should ask yourself why you want one so much. If you're looking for a turbo, AWD vehicle, and new, then your options are pretty limited in your budget as you are no doubt aware. However, there are plenty of used vehicles that would satisfy your criteria and would be infinitely better cars than a WRX.

For $40k for example, that's knocking on the door to Porsche 996 turbo territory. No, it won't be new, but you can probably find one with less than 40k miles on it for that price.

If you want to go cheaper, you can pick up a 3000GT VR4 or Dodge Stealth TT for far less than what you're looking to spend and also have a better car.

It's a shame that the choices for a new turbo, AWD car are so limited these days unless you spend $$$$$.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I think you should ask yourself why you want one so much. If you're looking for a turbo, AWD vehicle, and new, then your options are pretty limited in your budget as you are no doubt aware. However, there are plenty of used vehicles that would satisfy your criteria and would be infinitely better cars than a WRX.

For $40k for example, that's knocking on the door to Porsche 996 turbo territory. No, it won't be new, but you can probably find one with less than 40k miles on it for that price.

If you want to go cheaper, you can pick up a 3000GT VR4 or Dodge Stealth TT for far less than what you're looking to spend and also have a better car.

It's a shame that the choices for a new turbo, AWD car are so limited these days unless you spend $$$$$.
Part of it is how much I've always wanted one. I would have rather had an sti/evo than a corvette. I love the looks and the sound of a Subaru. I live in an area where it snows a lot, so awd isnt just for the great acceleration. If it were 20k I'd own one today. I jusy can't help but think I could have some severe buyers remorse spending 40k. A test drive is meaningless, as I have driven many Subaru. I just don't know how I'd feel spending 600 a month on any car, even my attainable "dream" car.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:18 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Being car poor is no fun either. If paying that much for the STi would seriously strain your budget for the next number of years, then it is probably a dream that should remain a dream for the short term.

Get a regular WRX in the meantime for the $20K you feel you could comfortably afford, and keep your dream of an STi untl a future point where it is more easily attainable for you.

As for whether or not you have buyers remorse, only you can answer that. To be honest, I think the STi is rather steep in price for the vehicle's overall build quality, materials, and craftsmanship. Yes, it is mostly about the performance in that vehicle and I get that. Having owned Subarus before, including a regular WRX, I would simply want more build quality and nicer materials once I hit the price point of the STi.

You probably have to really be taking advantage of the STi's performance to justify the price, like racing/autoXing it or something.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:07 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I'm a car nut myself with a thing for that Subaru rumble and while I could afford $40k on an STI I have a self imposed limit of $25k on a car purchase. Just doesn't make sense to throw so much at something that depreciates so quickly. Closest I've been to an STI so far was a 2007 Legacy GT Spec B. Which had the 2.5 turbo and the STI's 6 speed. That car was a blast and a total sleeper. Those were starting around $35k new too but I had bought it a few years old for $17k with a 100,000 mile warranty on it. The tamer sports sedan version does seem less likely to attract the "abusers" as well.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
I've known many people over the years with STIs and none of them have regretted their decision to buy one. Out here in Colorado, even the used ones command an extremely high price tag. It is to the point where it is better to just buy a new one. It is not uncommon to see a 2-3 year old STI going for the same price as a brand new one.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Too expensive, an M3 is a better value but not AWD I know.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
IMO the WRX STI is quite possibly the worst vehicle in the world to buy pre-owned. Not only does it hold its value ridiculously well, but most of them lead a very hard life.

If I liked the STI (I respect it, but it's too stiff-riding considering the terrible roads around here), I'd either save until I could comfortably afford a new one, or just get a base WRX. Base WRX actually feels faster in the lower half of the rev band, and is considerably more comfortable and easier on gas.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Too expensive, an M3 is a better value but not AWD I know.
Nowhere on earth is an m3 a better value than an sti. If you want a new M3 you NEED to make 6 figures. An sti is still expensive, but it's not even in the same universe as an m3 when you consider new vs new. A used e46 is affordable, but those are hit or miss too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive