Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,777,955 times

Advertisements

70's for sure as parts were still heavy duty and lasted longer, the wheelbases were the longest too that adds to the smooth comfortable ride. The Lincolns IMO had better quality in the 70's compared to Cadillacs, especially when it comes to the exterior body panels, trimming and interior quality.

The 77 Cadillac Broughams improved on it's quality compared to the previous years where the dash and door panels would all have major cracks in them and the fittings were garbage.

My 78 Continental has the best ride quality, best overall quality, looks the best, and has a massive interior that no other car can match. It doesn't ride like a boat either, but it's soft and feels like you are gliding down the road.

The whole boat ride argument is way overblown. Soft and smooth is a better explanation because none of my cars bounce or sway down the freeway like a "boat" persay.

Where on a Cadillac, the grills were cheap plastic chrome that faded and cracked over time, the Lincolns were chrome metal with a higher level of finish.

The biggest worrisome issues that you will have on any of the big car from the 70's are the smog equipment. A vacuum hose here, a vacuum hose their, and other air polluting devices that can cause drivability problems if not fixed, is a real PITA to diagnose. Some of the cars straight from the factory didn't even run right because the exhaust system being so choked off made the engines run like crap. I had to replace some vac leaks on my car which helped, but I still occasionally get a bog down from the engine when I push the accel pedal to quickly.

Stick to the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 7,834 times
Well the secret is I already had a 84 marquis...when I was 17( 5 years ago) i spent $1500 on it...the guy tricked me...I was semi clueless when it came to cars and he gave me the wrong VIN and his was scratched..car came with a myriad of problems including non working brakes (I ended up spending over $1900 in repairs on that and other crap it had)

The dealer also made ME pay for a license transfer (which i later learned he was supposed to pay for license transfer). The dealership said it had 45k miles when it actually had 132k including a rolled odometer and non working brakes..I didnt want to go to court since it would cost me more at that point ...in the end I am trying to sell the PoS(its currently rotting in my backyard since it gave out once again on a highway) for $470.

tl;dr after that experience ..I want to stay away from Ford/Marquis(especially Grand Marquis!!)/Lincoln and forget everything about that car.

Last edited by opticalillusion; 11-12-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Which is basically why I made this thread to ask some folks who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am

Because back then I asked someone and they said Grand Marquis but as you can see I had a terrible experience with one.

Also..with a late 70s-early 80s car what are the most common problems I will have? Like...carburetor n stuff?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM

24,516 posts, read 33,357,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lincoln or Caddy if I was doing such project. Try to get a 460 ford or 500 Caddy motor.
If he wants a 500 Cadillac engine, he will have to choose 1976 or earlier. The 1977 had a 425 engine.

Which is what I would recommend... a 1976 or earlier Cadillac, before the downsizing began or a 1979 or earlier Lincoln... 1975-'77 Lincoln would be preferred because of the 460 engine.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalillusion View Post
Are the cars really that crappy? I heard that these cars do not usually even make it past the 50,000 miles mark ?
They were capable of going way over 50,000 miles.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times
Quote:
Which is basically why I made this thread to ask some folks who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am

Because back then I asked someone and they said Grand Marquis but as you can see I had a terrible experience with one.

Also..with a late 70s-early 80s car what are the most common problems I will have? Like...carburetor n stuff?
so you had a bad experience with a bad car, that is no reason to scrap the rest of the cars of that model.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If he wants a 500 Cadillac engine, he will have to choose 1976 or earlier. The 1977 had a 425 engine.

Which is what I would recommend... a 1976 or earlier Cadillac, before the downsizing began or a 1979 or earlier Lincoln... 1975-'77 Lincoln would be preferred because of the 460 engine.

Too bad by 76 it was strangled to 200 hp. Considering at one time it was rated at 400hp/550 ft/tq. Not sure if OP knows but I believe it was configured as a front drive car.
I would go for the Connie. The hoods on those things could double as a deck for a aircraft carrier. And how can you not like the small opera windows. And the 460 is easy to find if there is a need to repower.

Quote:

Your most common problem is gonna be the car. It's a 35-40 year old car do expect problems like rusty body parts, worn interior, most systems may or may not work but pretty much. Everything wil need dome attention. Even a well maintained model unless completely restored then you're paying top dollar

Are you buying it as a daily driver or project!? If a daily I strongly urge you not to.
If a project then once you tear the car apart and completely rebuild/update it it can be a solid car that you can drive. Expect to put 20-30k (to make it a restore) in it if you don't have major rust issues. You will most likely be replacing and refurbishing a lot of components.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-12-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Too bad by 76 it was strangled to 200 hp. Considering at one time it was rated at 400hp/550 ft/tq.
You are comparing net with gross horsepower. A '76 500-cu-in engine made about 310-320 gross horsepower. Fortunately, the '76 had a good torque output (360 ft-lbs net).

Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:

Your most common problem is gonna be the car. It's a 35-40 year old car do expect problems like rusty body parts, worn interior, most systems may or may not work but pretty much. Everything wil need dome attention. Even a well maintained model unless completely restored then you're paying top dollar

Are you buying it as a daily driver or project!? If a daily I strongly urge you not to.
If a project then once you tear the car apart and completely rebuild/update it it can be a solid car that you can drive. Expect to put 20-30k (to make it a restore) in it if you don't have major rust issues. You will most likely be replacing and refurbishing a lot of components.
Well I wanted to kind of buy it as a project car..and use the car as something like a hands on experience so I can learn more about cars, how they function ,etc.

I only have about $4500 max to spend tho...dont got 20k . Will I be able to get an OK'ish car for that much or will they all basically be trash? I see most of them are around $700-5k range.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,188,299 times
Quote:
Lincoln or Caddy if I was doing such project. Try to get a 460 ford or 500 Caddy motor.
You won't get the 500 (or any "real" Caddy engine) in a '77-up. If you want a real Caddy, got to go back one year ('76) or more. That's what I would do. And you'd have to forget about gas mileage (12, at best), except in comparison to any of the even worse mileage big-block Fords...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive