Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
No chinese anything. No Bridgestone. Back when the Bridgestone/Firestone tires were killing people I lost two brand new ones within a hundred miles on the same road trip. The first one was a front tire, came apart at 60 mph on a 14 passenger school van loaded with children. It was everything I could do to keep that breadbox upright. Got into town on the freeway and a back tire began to thump. I stopped in time to find a huge balloon in the sidewall, ready to pop. Unloaded the kids at a McD's with other chaperones and limped to Costco to buy two new Michelins with the school district credit card.
I agree and that is why I stayed away from them for all those years. But as mentioned, I figured that they must have it right by now and decided to give them a try, but also understand anyone still having reservations. I'm surprised that they never went out of business really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:42 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I agree and that is why I stayed away from them for all those years. But as mentioned, I figured that they must have it right by now and decided to give them a try, but also understand anyone still having reservations. I'm surprised that they never went out of business really.
Bridgestone/Firestone is a much bigger company than you think. They sell products beyond car/truck passenger tires so I am NOT surprised that they ARE still in business to this day.

Firestone has a bad reputation due to the whole Ford Explorer fiasco years ago and unfortunately dragged down Bridgestone as well. That issue was partly due to one specific tire along along with the design of the Explorer as well. As a whole, I personally feel that Bridgestone makes the best tires out there based on what I see in my job every day.

Show me one tire company that produces perfect tires in every form and size. There is not any. It is like asking someone who makes the best hamburger, you will get many different responses.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
The best bang for my buck has been Khumo tires. Had them on 2 vehicles and I was quite happy with them. Worst I've ever had were a set of Nexen tires! You couldn't give me a free set

Old 11-18-2015, 06:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
I wouldn't ride on Goodyear tires if they were free. Twice now, I've had those tires disintegrate while I was driving. Once was at slow speed, the other time I was driving at high speed out in the desert. I guess I'm lucky to be alive.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Bridgestone/Firestone is a much bigger company than you think. They sell products beyond car/truck passenger tires so I am NOT surprised that they ARE still in business to this day.

Firestone has a bad reputation due to the whole Ford Explorer fiasco years ago and unfortunately dragged down Bridgestone as well. That issue was partly due to one specific tire along along with the design of the Explorer as well. As a whole, I personally feel that Bridgestone makes the best tires out there based on what I see in my job every day.

Show me one tire company that produces perfect tires in every form and size. There is not any. It is like asking someone who makes the best hamburger, you will get many different responses.
When any company has a big PR problem for whatever reason and still survive, it's because they take action to rectify the problem and are far more careful in the future. For that reason I decided to try Firestone about 5 years ago, and bought Destination ATs for my 4x4 truck. They have been trouble free, with some off road and even minor rock crawling, as well as on the highway. At the same time I also bought a set of the Destination LE for my wife's Jeep Liberty, and they too performed great until we traded it in late 2013. The brands I would avoid completely are just the Chinese imports such as Geostar, Pegasis, Fuzion, Sailun and Sunny.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 AM

779 posts, read 973,480 times
I had a Firestone tire stored as a spare blow out in the trunk.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I have a low mileage car and the dunlops wore out after a year or two. What do you want for $45 a tire at a shady sole proprietorship tire shop.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:59 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
I wont buy another Michelin, period! Ive had good results with the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring on my wifes car, but I have also had good luck with the Mastercraft tire I put on her old Buick, just a little harsher ride. The BFG on my truck have about 29000 on them and they still look good, the Firestone Destination AT2 on my sons Ranger are wearing very good. They still look new with 15000 on them. Not sure what Im going to put on our Enclave yet, but it had Michelin Attitude or whatever its called, PURE JUNK! Less than 20000 on them, and they will need replaced in less than a year. If I hadnt seen them put on at the dealer, I would be convinced they were the original tires on it.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
I've had crappy luck with Kuhmo. But they are a budget tire, so what do you expect? I also had a set of Goodyear tires that wore out after only 15,000mi.

Michelins are expensive, but they last so much longer. The last set I got 50,000mi out of.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I wont buy another Michelin, period! Ive had good results with the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring on my wifes car, but I have also had good luck with the Mastercraft tire I put on her old Buick, just a little harsher ride. The BFG on my truck have about 29000 on them and they still look good, the Firestone Destination AT2 on my sons Ranger are wearing very good. They still look new with 15000 on them. Not sure what Im going to put on our Enclave yet, but it had Michelin Attitude or whatever its called, PURE JUNK! Less than 20000 on them, and they will need replaced in less than a year. If I hadnt seen them put on at the dealer, I would be convinced they were the original tires on it.
The funny thing is that BFG and Uniroyal are manufactured by Michelin where Michelin branded tires are also made. In some cases on the same exact production lines, just different tire molds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive