Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times

Advertisements

We just bought a 3/4 ton 2015 truck for hauling. In my research of the vehicle I was questioning the safety of trucks (due to rollovers) and I ran across this...

Q&As

I was perplex by this because I had not considered the weight of a vehicle being relevant in it's safety (I always went by the star rating).

With so many small cars on the road nowadays and the star safety ratings that lead us to believe that they are perfectly safe, in addition to SUV's/trucks having the reputation of being roll over hazards. In your opinion, does the size of a vehicle (curb weight/footprint) factor into your consideration when choosing a vehicle? What is your opinion on small car vs. SUV or truck safety?

Last edited by mommabear2; 11-19-2015 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: typo oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
Well I wouldn't buy one of those really tiny 2-seater cars that look like a roller skate with a motor! I always picture us stomping on soda cans for the recycle bin...

Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
A nice side effect of the gas price spike was fewer large vehicles on the road. Putting size/weight at the forefront of safety concerns inevitably leads to an arms race of sorts. The safer you are, the more deadly you are to someone else.

It's also a trade off on the likelihood of being in an accident in the first place. More weight and size means more momentum and less maneuverability.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
The death rate is lower in passenger trucks than in smaller vehicles.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Most rollovers occur when the vehicle leaves the roadway, typically where a ditch is present. Further, most of these types of accidents are the result of the operator's maneuvers in avoiding a collision or trying to compensate for lost control of the vehicle. Point being, the TYPE of vehicles around you will have little impact on your odds of rolling the vehicle.

Size and weight do not matter so much as how the mass is distributed and where that center of gravity is. I do not factor these things in when considering a vehicle. Even if you were to consider the statistics of being involved in a rollover as evenly distributed across all drivers (which is a completely inaccurate assumption) the odds are quite low that you would ever be involved in one. I don't like to spend life worrying about things that will, probably, never be an issue.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
It is all relative....
I am reminded of when the VW Beetle came to our shores. Many people said "If you get hit in one of those things by an Oldsmobile or Cadillac, you are DEAD!"
Therefore, so the story goes, a VW dealer went to the Bonneville Salt Flats and proceeded to run over Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, and Buicks with Kenworth trucks, proving that one isn't "safe" in one of those, either!
Is it a true story? damifino! But, the fact remains, no matter what you are driving, there is something on or crossing the road which is bigger! (a Kenworth is no match for an SW1200 locomotive!)

Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post

With so many small cars on the road nowadays and the star safety ratings that lead us to believe that they are perfectly safe, in addition to SUV's/trucks having the reputation of being roll over hazards. In your opinion, does the size of a vehicle (curb weight/footprint) factor into your consideration when choosing a vehicle? What is your opinion on small car vs. SUV or truck safety?
Larger vehicles are more likely to rollover however this is very overstated statistic and contribute to only a small percentage of accidents. In addition to that it's not going to be your average person but some kid driving at high rate of speed...

Overall the larger the vehicle the safer you are, it's just a matter of physics. As the saying goes it's not the crash that kills you but the sudden stop. When you are in a larger vehicle and get into an accident with another car the smaller vehicle is going to absorb a lot of it's energy. Subsequently so do the passengers.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Star rating it is per each vehicle class, nothing more.

In a collision between the two vehicles, no sports car would fair better than you pickup truck.

So the higher off the ground you drive, the better chance you have to not get hurt in a collision with a lower to the ground vehicle.

While latest technology is head and shoulder over old cars from a safety point of view, size still matters

Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
In a 2 car crash obviously the bigger one wins.

In a 1 car crash... not sure but the there is a basic formula for momentum called mass x velocity. Therefore a truck hits a tree twice as hard as a compact, and you're sitting inside.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In a 1 car crash... not sure but the there is a basic formula for momentum called mass x velocity. Therefore a truck hits a tree twice as hard as a compact, and you're sitting inside.
Assuming the tree doesn't move that doesn't make a difference, whether you are in a large vehicle or small vehicle your body is going from 60 to 0 instantly.

If you were both traveling at 30 what makes the difference when the larger vehicle hits the smaller one is you may only go from 30 to 10 instantly. The person in the smaller vehicle is the equivalent if they were going from 40 to 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive