Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times

Advertisements

2017 Hyundai Elantra First Look Review - Motor Trend

Not sure how much of these features will be standard or optional, but having such features on a Hyundai Elantra could be a compact class game changer. Some of these features aren't on the Buick Verano nor Acura ILX which comes in at a higher price range than the economy compacts. Is this another step for Hyundai to move more up market like a Buick or Acura? The features and interior space are the big selling points. The Cruze and Verano are sorely lacking rear leg room. Focus has a little more leg room but it's selling point is it's sporty handling. Mazda3 has the room and the sporty handling. Corolla is still trying to look exciting but faces competition from its own Scion brand iM. Civic is stepping up its game. Dart is still lagging due to vehicle weight and power. Subaru is coming out with a new Impreza soon. If you could combine the Elantra features with the ILX engine and interior then you'd have one hell of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 05:15 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
The feature that blows me away on this new Elantra is Automatic Emergency Braking.

Heck, Ford did not include that feature in its upcoming 2017 Escape.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The feature that blows me away on this new Elantra is Automatic Emergency Braking.

Automatic emergency braking sounds real good but I remember a young lady about fifteen years ago telling me "I don't worry about having an accident, my car has ABS."
Is this what it is coming down to? Automatic safety devices in cars that some people are so dependent on that safe driving practices are an after thought?

Smart drivers, and there are plenty of them know that tailgating is probably going to get you involved in a crash yet everyday thousand of people ignore that fact.

Automatic emergency braking will encourage some people to disregard tailgating just like the young lady who didn't worry about an accident because of ABS.

I guess we need cars smarter than us because a lot of people are just not smart enough drivers.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
More features are getting piled into cars at an alarmingly fast rate. No surprise that any all new, or radically updated model may have more features than an existing product from another brand/company.

That said, I do not see anything game changing about this Elantra. It looks like a potentially strong contender on paper in its class for the time being.

I do not see ILX buyers shopping over at Hyundai regardless... but looking at the ILX I wonder why there are people shopping it at all anyway.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
but looking at the ILX I wonder why there are people shopping it at all anyway.
Because people like paying $30k for a rebadged and dressed up Civic?

Which it does look like they have emergency braking in the AcuraWatch Plus package. Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™). But that's also available on the Civic.

Last edited by notnamed; 11-20-2015 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Thats because Hyundai suckers in buyers with cheap features with a warranty. Without those features or warranty, Im convinced Hyundai wouldve gone out of business in the early 2000's.

For likely left that off standard feature list to keep costs down. Ive driven the Santa Fe and the Escape, and you can tell the Escape is just a better vehicle. The materials and chassis are far beyond the Hyundai. And to be honest, the Escape and Santa Fe were similarly optioned, and the Ford was only a little over $1200 more... well worth the price to have a better vehicle, IMO.

As far as the compact class going upscale, you can thank Ford for that, too. The latest Focus set the bar which all other manufacturers are aiming for... soft touch materials, quiet ride, lots of standard features, and still the best handling chassis in its class. Id mention the Golf has a fantastic interior and materials, but the Focus, when similarly priced, offers more.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Yeah was going to say the Golf has been setting that bar for a long time. Wish Ford would bring over their European offerings. So much better than what they give us. Ford has also long been guilty of throwing features at their cars in order to compete with Honda/Toyota.

But the auto braking isn't just some gimmick it's quickly becoming a standard offering across brands.

Last edited by notnamed; 11-20-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 04:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Because people like paying $30k for a rebadged and dressed up Civic?

Which it does look like they have emergency braking in the AcuraWatch Plus package. Collision Mitigation Braking Systemâ„¢ (CMBSâ„¢). But that's also available on the Civic.

Heck, the Civic has an EX-L model now so you can dress it up to do a nice impression of a BMW 3-series.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Just drive it in reverse so you get RWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive