Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

P.S. Thank you for the recommendation about the ceramic pads, and I am very happy you are having better luck with your car!
Fully realize that for many there is never enough time. With work, school, family . . . it's just difficult to have time.

But the automobile is the 2nd largest expense/purchase for most people. Should take some time to learn how things work.

Should have a local independent mechanic/shop. Get your oil changes there. During oil changes ask to have the vehicle checked. Ask about the brakes at every oil change. As well as a visual inspection when vehicle is on lift. So that there are never any surprises. Get ahead of the curve. Know when the brakes are getting thin. Then plan ahead.

As far as keys go. You will just have to visit dealerships and view. Maybe someone who has just purchased a new vehicle with a key can chime in. You may have to go visit new car dealerships. And shouldn't just buy a vehicle just because it has a key. Get one that has a good reputation and good resale and/or trade in.

Sometimes it is better to get the budget new car without all of the bells and whistles. Simpler.

Start looking at the Nissan Versa. And work up from there if too small. Take a test drive before you decide on anything. Don't rule out some of the less expensive cars from all of the major manufacturers. And if car is for status or value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Fully realize that for many there is never enough time. With work, school, family . . . it's just difficult to have time.

But the automobile is the 2nd largest expense/purchase for most people. Should take some time to learn how things work.

Should have a local independent mechanic/shop. Get your oil changes there. During oil changes ask to have the vehicle checked. Ask about the brakes at every oil change. As well as a visual inspection when vehicle is on lift. So that there are never any surprises. Get ahead of the curve. Know when the brakes are getting thin. Then plan ahead.

As far as keys go. You will just have to visit dealerships and view. Maybe someone who has just purchased a new vehicle with a key can chime in. You may have to go visit new car dealerships. And shouldn't just buy a vehicle just because it has a key. Get one that has a good reputation and good resale and/or trade in.

Sometimes it is better to get the budget new car without all of the bells and whistles. Simpler.

Start looking at the Nissan Versa. And work up from there if too small. Take a test drive before you decide on anything. Don't rule out some of the less expensive cars from all of the major manufacturers. And if car is for status or value.
This, if it's out of warranty, then no need to take it to dealer. You are funding their lavish waiting area, free coffee and pastries. Also, use the internet to troubleshoot problems, lots of good info on youtube.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Yes, I know that. I just meant that we were having several different issues with the car.
I understand completely and could not agree more, WhoCares . . .

To put it bluntly, all these "Whistles and Bells" STINK and accomplish very little, if anything.

Other than the radio, the only "high tech" on my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 (soon to turn 30) is Air Conditioning and a Tilt Steering Wheel . . . I LOVE IT that way.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling we all need to learn to accept this new insanity.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
So, just to actually stick to the spirit of the thread, my dad just bought a '15 base model Accord that uses a key. It's a fine and boring and vanilla car, it is a Honda after all. And of course "base" means power doors and windows, remote locking, etc.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Plain old key or chipped key? Guessing chipped

Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Sorry that I was not more clear<>
*Several times we would push the button and nothing would happen. We would have to get out of the car, lock it, then unlock it, and then push the button again for it to start. Very annoying. So, to fix it, they basically had to disassemble part of the car, order another antenna, and then reassemble it.
<>
Next time try closing all the windows and hitting the start button then open the windows again. . .

Old 12-03-2015, 04:22 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Getting back to the OP....your husband doesn't want to consider a Kia but...

My 2014 Kia Forte did come with power windows, locks, Sat radio, bluetooth, etc. and it does have a KEY. It's a more basic model because I insisted on a stick shift.

By the way, the Kia is a better car than my Mazda 6 in just about every way.

Mikey

Old 12-03-2015, 06:46 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
My Jeep Renegade has an old fashioned key.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
the entire brake system needs to be replaced? pads,rotors,brake lines,brake booster,master cylinder,calipers,abs module. I highly doubt they can do that for 600 dollars just in parts alone.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
the entire brake system needs to be replaced? pads,rotors,brake lines,brake booster,master cylinder,calipers,abs module. I highly doubt they can do that for 600 dollars just in parts alone.
Well, I know the rotors needed to be replaced. Not sure about the other stuff you said! (So maybe I did misunderstand -- that is entirely possible.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive