Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times

Advertisements

I usually mutter what a Ahole and look to the right side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:23 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
In some states flashing high beams can be illegal
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing
because now you're both blind

I try to avoid night driving because I've become more sensitive with age. Also there are some amber tinted glasses that are supposed to help. I got some but they must be packed away somewhere. I'll have to look for them.

During the rain is the absolute worst. I wish all roads had the reflective bumps in the road. I guess those aren't practical with snow plows.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I'll give the oncoming car a quick flash from my high beams to let the guy know his lights are too bright, he may at that point flash his bright lights but at least if enough people flash the guy he knows his lights are too bright for oncoming traffic and he may do something about it.
About all you can do is not look directly into the oncoming light source.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:14 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
When I see a vehicle with very bright or misaligned headlights coming towards me, I slow down before we cross paths. Even looking to the right helps but is not enough. Gradually slow before the path cross. Once the offending vehicle has past and your eyes have readjustment then you can safely speed back up.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Wouldn't it be wonderful if a windshield could be built to automatically darken those spots where bright headlights and low Sun are?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 AM

3,379 posts, read 9,213,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if a windshield could be built to automatically darken those spots where bright headlights and low Sun are?
No need....the headlight tech is already out there but DOT doesn't think the USA is worthy of such things.

https://youtu.be/-dvPZ3H1Vm4

Old 12-06-2015, 06:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
This is an easy one. Don't look at them. Continue to focus your attention on a spot just to the right of the headlights. Some drivers are unaware that their lights are mis-aimed, so it might be useful to flash at them. Sooner or later, they will wonder why everyone is flashing at them. Other drivers don't care, so it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you stay in your lane and exercise prudence.

Driving is not always easy, but it helps if you don't get all bent out of shape about other drivers and lose control of your own composure and concentration, and shift your mentality into pay-back mode and think about what you would do to that driver if you had him in a dungeon on a rack with cranks on it..

And don't worry, help is on the way. Soon you will have a car that will drive itself and won't even need headlights.

There is also the alternative of putting your brights on and steering directly toward the offender, so he can't see the road, and he will keep to the right of your lights, which are moving into his lane, so he goes into the ditch. When that works, it works great, but it has a steep downside when it fails.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-06-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Don't look at them. Watch the right hand side of the road just in front of your car until you pass it.
Thats what I do, I focus on the white line on the side of the road.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 AM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
No, not looking at them does not really work. You still get side swipe from burning light beam.
Flashing at them does not work, as then they WILL turn the REAL HIGH BEAMS on and then you are totally blind. Most of those a - holes have aftermarket HID in NORMAL mode and those are killingly bright as is. So don't provoke them into getting slammed with high beam.
Close eyes? When you are in turn and close to curb? Kidding me?
Seriously, best so far, if for some reason turning cabin light on is extremely prohibitive for you, placing left hand vertical up to cover the lights is best.
Btw, same works great for the driver side rear view mirror, when they hit you from behind with HID.
NHTSA considers HID completely illegal, I had entire post on this, but this country being "I am a free man I do whatever the f... I want to" attitudes keep blinding people with crap you buy on ebay and slap on some beat up car. Have you noticed how the worst offenders actually drive old redneck beaters?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 AM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Anyone got a ticket for HID lights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive