Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:23 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Why are you comparing a Volvo wagon to a Honda Insight?

Here is a realistic comparison:

2013 Chevy Tahoe base (mpg15c/21h) cost started at $41k and the 2013 Tahoe hybrid (mpg 20c/23h) cost around $54k. Even if you add $9k of options to the base Tahoe you would need at least 10 years to make up the difference by better gas mileage. This is why nobody bought the GM hybrids and GM cancelled them a year ago.
I believe toyota canceled the highlander hybrid as well. Not positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:29 PM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Why are you comparing a Volvo wagon to a Honda Insight?

Here is a realistic comparison:

2013 Chevy Tahoe base (mpg15c/21h) cost started at $41k and the 2013 Tahoe hybrid (mpg 20c/23h) cost around $54k. Even if you add $9k of options to the base Tahoe you would need at least 10 years to make up the difference by better gas mileage. This is why nobody bought the GM hybrids and GM cancelled them a year ago.
I'm comparing a Volvo wagon to a Honda Insight because there is no hybrid wagon available in America. The Insight is very close into functionality to the wagon though.

What about the Ford Escape? There is no hybrid version this generation but the C-Max is basically the same vehicle. The C-Max and Escape both have a base MSRP of $24k

Old 12-16-2015, 03:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Full size not mini.

The few hybrid large SUVs that have been out there just have you paying thousands more for a bump of 1-2mpg.
exactly that. not worth the extra expense.

ofcourse gm has the cylinder deactivation stuff that is total bs.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
You can't have a hybrid for a truck because with the extra weight you can't stuff a big electric heavy duty motor along with a gas engine into the same engine bay. This won't be cheap nor efficient. Either all electric or gas for heavy cars. Just look at Tesla, the engine rear portion of the car is stuffed with batteries. If they had to make a big heavy SUV, they would need to stuff double the amount of batteries to drag a 5000k vehicle around.

Hydrogen is the future for big vehicles.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:09 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
There is a Rav4 hybrid coming out this year. I saw Highlander hybrid today. The Highlander is a cross between a SUV and a station wagon.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 AM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
exactly that. not worth the extra expense.

ofcourse gm has the cylinder deactivation stuff that is total bs.
Really? Because Popular Mechanics got 22mpg out of a Tahoe hybrid in CITY DRIVING Two-Mode Hybrid System (Almost) Lives Up to MPG Hype

Do you know what a conventional Tahoe gets in the city? About 15mpg if you're lucky. 50% more miles per gallon is a massive improvement.

People who think hybrids aren't worthwhile are the ones who see the EPA sticker and assume they'll get highway mpg "because I drive on the highway to work", not understanding that creeping along in traffic is not "highway driving".

Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can't have a hybrid for a truck because with the extra weight you can't stuff a big electric heavy duty motor along with a gas engine into the same engine bay. This won't be cheap nor efficient. Either all electric or gas for heavy cars. Just look at Tesla, the engine rear portion of the car is stuffed with batteries. If they had to make a big heavy SUV, they would need to stuff double the amount of batteries to drag a 5000k vehicle around.

Hydrogen is the future for big vehicles.
What about all the full hybrid coach and metro buses? Doesn't get much bigger than that and they all seem to be going with a combination of hybrid and cng.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM

686 posts, read 806,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Really? Because Popular Mechanics got 22mpg out of a Tahoe hybrid in CITY DRIVING Two-Mode Hybrid System (Almost) Lives Up to MPG Hype

Do you know what a conventional Tahoe gets in the city? About 15mpg if you're lucky. 50% more miles per gallon is a massive improvement.

People who think hybrids aren't worthwhile are the ones who see the EPA sticker and assume they'll get highway mpg "because I drive on the highway to work", not understanding that creeping along in traffic is not "highway driving".

That highway sticker comment was eye opening. I have never really thought about that. Might as well count that as city mileage.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:17 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post

You're missing the point again. How much more is the tahoe hybrid up front, again, It will take you 5 to 7 years to break even. I think 99% of people are quite capable of understanding the distinction between city and highway driving. I just re-read your comment about the mileage, I miss read that part.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:21 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
I think more people would buy Hybrids if manufacturers made them easier to repair once the battery went out. If you had a easy access panel and 5-6 bolts to remove to get the battery out, vs having to take the trunk and back seat apart, it would cut down on costs as well. Also replacing batteries by cells rather than a entire battery for a random bad connection, would make hybrids worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive