Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Often at the expense of a higher purchase price, however.
Not necessarily. You just need excellent credit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Obviously went over your head; calculate the interest paid on say a $25,000 car @ 1.9%.

A 5 year loan gives you $1,200 in interest.

An average $20(!) dollars a month in interest.

WOW. Big whoop. I spend more than that buying fruit for my morning smoothies.

Paying interest on a new car is not where you take it in the pants.
No, I understand it perfectly, but apparently, you do not.

If the current rate for borrowed money is 4%, why would you get a 1.9% loan for a car?

The answer to the above question is important, and it appears that you probably don't know what the answer is.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Not necessarily. You just need excellent credit
Regardless of your credit, nobody is lending you money for free.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Regardless of your credit, nobody is lending you money for free.
Huh. Car manufacturers offer it all the time

Toyota
http://www.toyota.com/local-specials/#/view-details

Old 12-18-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Huh. Car manufacturers offer it all the time

Toyota
New Car Deals | Local Toyota Deals, Incentives & Special Offers
You don't get it.

Do you believe that Toyota would lend you money at 0% if you weren't buying an Avalon?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
No, I understand it perfectly, but apparently, you do not.

If the current rate for borrowed money is 4%, why would you get a 1.9% loan for a car?

The answer to the above question is important, and it appears that you probably don't know what the answer is.
What if the current rate is 10%? Or 50%?

Why make up numbers?

Rates aren't set in stone. It's all in what you can negotiate.

When purchasing a new car people pay close to the same amount. Within a few hundred dollars in most cases. Again splitting hairs on such a large purchase.

Still losing focus, however. People aren't "poor" because they finance/pay interest on a new car. It's a minimal part of the car purchase decision.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
What if the current rate is 10%? Or 50%?

Why make up numbers?

Rates aren't set in stone. It's all in what you can negotiate.

When purchasing a new car people pay close to the same amount. Within a few hundred dollars in most cases. Again splitting hairs on such a large purchase.

Still losing focus, however. People aren't "poor" because they finance/pay interest on a new car. It's a minimal part of the car purchase decision.
So, you choose to not answer the question. It's not hard to know why.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You don't get it.

Do you believe that Toyota would lend you money at 0% if you weren't buying an Avalon?
What's the difference. I'm buying a car without paying interest. And why would Toyota lend me anything besides buying one of their cars . I don't think they have any interest in lending me money to buy a lawnmower

At the end of the day I loaned $20k and end up paying that same amount. No weird amount of math will change that fact.

Seems to me you don't get it

Old 12-18-2015, 09:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I never listened to DR but I will say that the last car we financed was a new '97 Accord and we put down half of the purchase price. It was paid off in 2 years. The others cars were with cash and it was a great feeling. The thought of a 6 year car loan is just scary to me. I do agree with what others have posted about DR in that living debt free is a great feeling. Especially with no house payments or car payments or credit card balances.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
So, you choose to not answer the question. It's not hard to know why.
To be frank I'm not even sure what you are trying to infer. Is it that manufacturers will overprice their cars on the low finance offers? I really can't follow what you are trying to say.

Who cares? Again, still if you look at the big picture stuff, ie "what is the total cost of purchasing this car?".

What costs you more? Buying a Land Rover at 0% or a Yaris at 4%?

Nobody is going broke buying the Yaris. In one year you'd lose more on the Land Rover than the Yaris costs new. Including interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive