Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times

Advertisements

Which are better and powerful?

Gas or Diesel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 AM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

Gas or Diesel
Diesel engines give you a lot more torque and at a much better MPG.
They also last longer than gas engines (about double life).

When ever I have an option I go diesel for any vehicle (don't care much about the VW scandal, I think it is a good time to snag a second hand one).

Old 12-22-2015, 10:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:

Gas or Diesel
Depends upon what you are using the truck for ....

if towing heavy loads, the torque rise and power of the diesel is preferred by most.

if using the truck for transportation, infrequent light loads, perhaps 4-wheeling off road ... most prefer a gasoline powered truck.

with the current pricing of diesel vs gasoline, they are about equal in fuel cost per mile. so choose the power that best fits your profile of use. If you're not planning on a lot of heavy loads, the lower entry cost of the gasoline truck is probably the better value.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Define better.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
$1000s more for a diesel, double the price on routine maintenance, DEF fluid, higher price of diesel----You can keep it. (Im assuming your refering to trucks since all you post about is diesel trucks.)

Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
$1000s more for a diesel, double the price on routine maintenance, DEF fluid, higher price of diesel----You can keep it. (Im assuming your refering to trucks since all you post about is diesel trucks.)

Ahh.... someone who drank the unleaded kool-aid, I see.

I drive about 15k miles per year.

2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab FX4 4WD 6.4L Powerstroke - 130k miles
520 HP / 1,120 lb. ft. torque (Dyno)

Cost: $24,000
Oil change - $60 (DIY) 5k mile service intervals
Fuel filter change - $28 10k mile service intervals

Total maintenance cost: $222
Diesel fuel (today's price) $1.92 (in my area... I also run a fuel additive that costs me $.6/gallon) $1.98
Current City/Hwy MPG - 19/24
Average cost per mile: $.10/mile

2008 Ford F150 Crew Cab FX4 4WD 5.4L Triton V8 - 130k miles
300 HP / 365 lb.ft. torque

NADA: $19,000
Oil change - $54 (DIY) 3k mile service intervals

Total maintenance cost: $270
87 octane gas (today's price) $1.89 (in my area)
City/Hwy MPG (based on my 2006 2wd mileage) 14/17
Average cost per mile: $.14/mile

What are these mythical higher maintenance costs that you refer to? A diesel requires the same general maintenance as a gas burner. The only difference is that a gas burner is more forgiving to those who don't keep up with maintenance. Diesels (at least Powerstrokes) do not like for you to miss scheduled maintenance. You can create problems by neglecting to keep up with it but in reality, this should be done on time for any type of vehicle.

Sure... the initial buy-in is a bit higher... in my case about $5k more, but for my use and many others that's a mute point. You get a lot more truck for your money, and one that will long outlive it's gasoline counterparts if maintained.

OP.... it depends on what you need it for. If you only use it to DD to work, I wouldn't bother with a diesel truck. You wouldn't get your money's worth. If you need something for longevity, towing decently heavy loads, etc... then a diesel is the only thing I'd consider. Hard to tell what might be right for you in your circumstance without more info though.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I know this is about trucks but I had a 2012 TDI Passat and thought it was amazing. Very powerful and fast and attained 53 MPG on the highway at times (depending on how I drove). I see people with the gas engine version and wonder why they didn't go diesel as I think they are far superior. Id take another one in a heartbeat if they made them in AWD.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
There is no higher price for diesel maintenance, about same - there are no spark plugs in diesel to change/replace so no tuneups, plus no pollution test so less on yearly mandatory test at least in NC.

The more miles ones drives, the more it is worth considering diesel, unless ones use it for pulling heavy loads when a diesel is a must.

Opposite is also true - one who only drives under 12,000 miles per year (with no towing) might be better off with regular gas since it will take years before he sees the payback for the extra upfront cost of the diesel engine.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I know this is about trucks but I had a 2012 TDI Passat and thought it was amazing. Very powerful and fast and attained 53 MPG on the highway at times (depending on how I drove). I see people with the gas engine version and wonder why they didn't go diesel as I think they are far superior. Id take another one in a heartbeat if they made them in AWD.
my answer is ignorance and misconceptions, oh well, less competition for us buying on second hand market...

Old 12-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:

Gas or Diesel
How many times are you going to ask this? (for over 2 yrs now... Suburban / Cummins swaps... GM diesels...) As all have highlighted to you (very patiently)... depends on what you are gonna use the truck for and what you are comfortable with.

Some of us are Diesel heads, others are gasser proud... pick your Poison and get on with it...

If you are ONLY driving this thing intermittent or light duty, stick with your gasser (1) you already HAVE IT!, (2) gassers are cheaper to purchase. (personally I think the diesel is cheaper / easier to maintain (cuz I don't like emissions / ignition systems / and I live in a VERY wet climate that LOVES to dink with electrical stuff (ignition). I tow VERY heavy (30,000#) and everyday.

Diesels are GREAT if you need one and you like the smell and noise.

The diesel and gas engines are best at different things. HD long service, usually = Diesel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive