Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:11 PM

739 posts, read 843,223 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be putting them on myself but would purchase the tires and take them to a friend that would remove the old tires and install the new ones since he has one of those tools.

Are there any drawbacks to going this route? I figure I can save some money and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:13 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
No real drawback if he knows what he's doing. Can he balance them, too?

Old 01-01-2016, 01:20 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
What's the one tool? A set of tire spoons?

Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What's the one tool? A set of tire spoons?
What's funny is that I used to change tires on Mag Wheels by hand years ago. The kind of Mags that machines could possibly damage back then. I could do a whole car in about an hour or so. I used to Bubble Balance as well.

But hopefully the friend has a Tire Machine and a High-Speed Balancer.

Today, sometimes I buy my tires cash and carry and have a local tire shop mount and balance them for me. He is an independent and welcomes the business. Then I bring them home and put them on the car myself. I like Torqueing my own Lugs anyway.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:09 PM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Well, it's tire spoons and a sizable sledge hammer. Got to have THAT.
OP, if that alloy wheels - do NOT let him hand handle this. Steeleies are ok, but not alloys. There is normally a lot of prying and pounding going on.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, it's tire spoons and a sizable sledge hammer.

A Sledge Hammer for big truck tires, but I never needed anything bigger than a Rubber Mallet for car or small truck tires. Breaking them down is the hard part and although I wish I had one of those "Bead Breakers" today that are available, back then I just used a bumper jack. Once broke, I would use my large screw drivers and tire irons to dis-mount them. Back on I would Lubricate the Beads to re-mount them and use the Rubber Mallet to help along. The Lube also seated the tire to the rim for a better seal.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
It takes a little finesse and muscle with a hammer. Can do alloys without damaging them. A bead breaker is needed. You first pull the valve core (drain the air) and then break the beads. Use a little dish soap and a tire spoon. It only takes about 5 minutes to get a tire off a rim. The new ones go on very fast.

Airing up the tire can be a challenge (you need an air compressor), but it goes okay if the tire is wide enough for the rim. If not, you need a tire bead seater blaster (fill it using air compressor). Next, balance and you are done. So, you need a few special tools: a bead breaker, a tire spoon or two, a balancer and, possibly a tire bead seater blaster. You will need some wheel weights.

If you replace the valve stems too, you will also need a valve stem tool. Of course, you need a hammer as well. A large ball peen or a club hammer works. Need a fairly heavy one as you will be hitting the tire spoon with it to remove the tire from the rim (this is where the muscle comes in).

Once you have all the tools and some practice, it goes really fast. If not, it can be very frustrating.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
What's funny is that I used to change tires on Mag Wheels by hand years ago. The kind of Mags that machines could possibly damage back then. I could do a whole car in about an hour or so. I used to Bubble Balance as well.

But hopefully the friend has a Tire Machine and a High-Speed Balancer.

Today, sometimes I buy my tires cash and carry and have a local tire shop mount and balance them for me. He is an independent and welcomes the business. Then I bring them home and put them on the car myself. I like Torqueing my own Lugs anyway.

The only thing I found in hand mounting tires was that I had places on my body that I did not know could ache.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:09 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Given that the tire places charge <$20 per tire for stem mounting (on cash and carry tires) and offer lifetime rotations/balancing for that fee, tires are something I don't mess with. I will plug flats (to save the time of driving to the tire place), but let the tire places mount/balance/etc.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
My local tire place installs them for nothing as long as you purchase them there, which is a no brainer because they have very competitive prices compared to what the chains charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive