Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times

Advertisements

I sold my old Volvo on Craigslist. Set the price $500 more than I thought it was worth. Posted at 7am. Had a call before 8am and the guy paid cash before 6pm. He was one of 10 calls for that old car. Didn't even haggle. Guess I priced it too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
they are welcome to come knocking, I'm not doing anything wrong
the last car i sold on CL was MB SLK230 for $16,250 (was asking $17k)
I promptly deposited all the Cash and they haven't kicked my door in yet

but if i was worried about it i guess i could deposit the cash in small installments to avoid the "over $10k IRS requirement for a form 8300

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...-of-Over-10000

no wire transfers for me, I'll take the cash

by the way, they can see the wire transfers too
That's called "structuring" and it's a crime.

Just deposit all of the money. No issue.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Maybe the laws have changed.
Maybe it is state banking laws.

I sold a car for $11,000.00 cash, went to bank to deposit entire amount, and I was told to fill out a special form. And that there is a specific notification sent to the authorities.

But if I am wrong. OK. Take the money and run.
That IS how it works. But that isn't anything like what you said in your previous post.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
I've sold plenty of vehicles on craigslist.You get some squirrels but I always price to sell and get rid of stuff pretty quick.The biggest morons are usually the e-mailers.I just ignore the silly ones.Most of the scammers will be e-mailers too.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I posted a car on craigslist in addition to many other, more legit places. Some of the emails I'm getting from Craigslist are crazy. The car is listed at 18k. Here's a few gems:

"Hello, I'm single mother and baby in daycare and need car for works. This car is a bit out of budget but really nice! I can afford about $100/month. I can promise I will pay you until the whole amount is paid off. Please let me know."

"Would you be willing to accept trades? I have some pretty rare coins and video games."

"Since it's a Toyota, I can't offer a penny over $8,000 but let me know if you'd like to complete this deal"

"I like your car but don't have money. How can I get the money for this car? I'd really like to buy this from you."

Anyone else get some fun replies?
Do you offer financing?? If yes whats the rate?? My credit score is 625..

Old 01-09-2016, 04:18 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That IS how it works. But that isn't anything like what you said in your previous post.
If the original poster doesn't mind a special notice going to the IRS then all is fine.
Then there is the potential of counterfeit money. Best for seller to take money to bank to have each bill verified. That is where a wire/bank transfer comes in to avoid these potential pitfalls.

"Wayne Victor Dennis told CBS Philadelphia station KYW-AM the Secret Service caught him printing $15 million - "2,332 pounds of brand new cash"
LINK

Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
I sell all my cars through CL, dealers never give you anywhere close to what you can get privately. And like any other endeavor it requires, *shock horror*, work and effort.

Anybody with an ounce of intelligence is smarter than the idiot scammers. Unless you read your emails out loud you can scan through quickly, if somebody stupid calls once you block them. Technology helps out, common sense helps out, and you get to pocket the cash.

You aren't a charity. You don't owe anybody a good deal, and you aren't somebody's wholesale outlet.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I have had pretty good luck with CL. Two cars were sold at a public location, another two were here at the house. I left a little negotiating room in the price. The pickup sold was probably too cheap but I liked the guy and he was a fellow teacher - coach. I do agree, put as much info in the ad and pics as possible. Ignore lowballers and scams.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:49 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I sell all my cars through CL, dealers never give you anywhere close to what you can get privately. And like any other endeavor it requires, *shock horror*, work and effort.

Anybody with an ounce of intelligence is smarter than the idiot scammers. Unless you read your emails out loud you can scan through quickly, if somebody stupid calls once you block them. Technology helps out, common sense helps out, and you get to pocket the cash.

You aren't a charity. You don't owe anybody a good deal, and you aren't somebody's wholesale outlet.
You say this, but one bimbo offered me "$10,000 first thing Monday morning!" (ad posted on a Sunday night) for my SuperCrew that I listed for $14,000. Her offer wasn't even going to get her the title and my price was not exactly going overboard...

Carmax gave me $12,000 to get rid of the payment and I still made out over the loan balance.

It is a case-by-case basis, though. If I'm a buyer, why would I want a 2008 F150 SCrew...then again, teh 09-later body style is quite a bit more pricey around here. I'm dealing with goons. Carmax worked for me.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
There's a website and a book about selling on CL:

http://dontevenreply.com/top.php

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK unless you want to laugh hysterically for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive