Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I personally don't "police" the left lane but it can be said that you are policing the left lane yourself? You most likely are tailgating someone in the left lane "policing" them by pretty much forcing them to move over.

Like i said before it seems like traffic laws are only talked about when it benefits your own agenda, but when you break the speed limit the same law book you quote gets thrown out the window.

Nope. I don't tailgate, nor do I ride in the left lane. If I tailgate someone in my truck and they slam on brakes I would likely destroy their vehicle and cause an accident. My truck is over 6k lbs so tail-gating someone is completely reckless. I wouldn't do it if I were in a Honda either. It's dangerous.

I overtake the vehicle I need to overtake and move back over as soon as safely possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM

834 posts, read 466,835 times
Please disregard my earlier post. My memory is bad on this one and after waiting a week to no avail, for a moderator to delete the post at my request I shall now dine on humble pie. I apologize.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:19 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
I have to show those of you that advocate for your "right" to sit in the left lane what a disservice you are doing to everyone else.
Nobody here advocates for a right to sit in the left lane. If you think they do, name one.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:23 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
traffic would flow so much more smoothly if people stuck to the proper lanes
People pass in the left lane. The problem is tailgaters who don't have the patience to wait for them to finish passing. If the person slows down because of the tailgater, it gives the impression of going slow in the left lane. But it's entirely the fault of the tailgater.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Nobody here advocates for a right to sit in the left lane. If you think they do, name one.
You clearly haven't been reading this or the many other threads on the same topic.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If they are linked the way that you say then it would specifically say so. No wHEre does it say so. Your interpretation of "slower traffic" is your own invention.
So, by your reasoning, because the slower traffic keep right law does not specifically mention the speed limit, then the speed limit law does not exist in the left lane if someone wishes to drive faster in that lane? Really?

The speed limit law does not mention the slower traffic keep right law, so presumably that does not exist, either, by that reasoning.

No law, in the same statute, that is not specifically mentioned by another statute exists, again by your reasoning.

Interesting planet you live on.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:17 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, by your reasoning, because the slower traffic keep right law does not specifically mention the speed limit, then the speed limit law does not exist in the left lane if someone wishes to drive faster in that lane? Really?

The speed limit law does not mention the slower traffic keep right law, so presumably that does not exist, either, by that reasoning.

No law, in the same statute, that is not specifically mentioned by another statute exists, again by your reasoning.

That is not what I said. Quit imagining and actually think about it It will become clear.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I don't think that is what was said.

The speed limit law and the keep right laws are UNRELATED and SEPERATE laws. It's the same as trying to compare a public intoxication law with a speeding law. You can't.

If someone is driving under the speed limit in the left lane and impeding traffic, they could get ticketed for breaking the keep right law, but not speeding. If someone in the left lane is speeding and passing cars, they will likely be ticketed for speeding, but not for being in the passing lane since in fact they are passing cars and using the lane as intended.

They are not mutually inclusive of each other. And you don't have to obey one in order to obey the other.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:48 PM

26 posts, read 39,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's very simple honestly and how it gets past people blows my mind.

The lane to your left is the passing lane, not the fast lane, the drive however I see fit lane, nor any other name you want to call it. When you have passed the vehicle to your right you're no longer passing anyone. Get out of the lane. It really isn't any more difficult than that. Opinions on the law has zero bearing. It is what it is.
Yup, I'm still on page 5 of the replies, but this pretty much sums it up. It does not matter whether you're going the speed limit or 100 mph. If you are not passing anyone to your right, you do not belong in the left lane. Even if not legally in your state, it still applies morally. If you watched the video to the end, you can see even I get out of the left lane once there was no longer anyone to my right, and I was going at least 80. If I forget to move over after passing, I at least move over when someone much faster comes up behind me. No matter how fast you drive, there will always be someone faster than you.

The only exception is in very heavy traffic where all lanes should be used. However, I still believe that if you're driving so slow that you're leaving a mile-long gap, you need to be in the right lane. I'd bet that traffic wouldn't be so bad if people used lane discipline in the first place. Not only would people be able to pass slower traffic and spread out more, there would be a lot less lane changes which slow traffic down.

I believe that hogging the left lane causes otherwise average drivers to become aggressive when they run out of patience. I have seen people driving patiently behind one before getting fed up and cutting them off after making a tight pass. I especially see hordes of weavers on Sundays (literally 1/4-1/3 of the drivers on the road), when you have a fleet of slow Sunday drivers in the left lane. I have at least one video showing this that I haven't gotten around to uploading.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:12 PM

26 posts, read 39,174 times
Someone please answer these questions for me:

Why do some of you make a beeline straight for the left lane as soon as they get on the freeway when they never intended to pass anyone? Isn't that more work than just staying in the closest lane? This is especially baffling when there are at least three lanes to get across and choose from.

Why do some of the above drivers feel the need to cut others off in the process rather than allowing them to pass first?

Why do some of you speed up when someone tries to pass on the right after waiting patiently, and then slow back down once they are forced to abort the pass and get back in behind you? It's one thing if they obliviously match speed with others or realized they were going slower than usual, but some will drag race you in a slow car going 15+ faster than they were before and with V8s, it's pretty obvious when they're flooring it. Why does it matter when that person will be gone and out of your way? Why do you want a line of people behind you? I admit ZERO qualms with cutting these people off to end their little game and be on my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive