Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times

Advertisements

I posted a car on craigslist in addition to many other, more legit places. Some of the emails I'm getting from Craigslist are crazy. The car is listed at 18k. Here's a few gems:

"Hello, I'm single mother and baby in daycare and need car for works. This car is a bit out of budget but really nice! I can afford about $100/month. I can promise I will pay you until the whole amount is paid off. Please let me know."

"Would you be willing to accept trades? I have some pretty rare coins and video games."

"Since it's a Toyota, I can't offer a penny over $8,000 but let me know if you'd like to complete this deal"

"I like your car but don't have money. How can I get the money for this car? I'd really like to buy this from you."

Anyone else get some fun replies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
I gave up trying to sell on CL years ago, too many loonies. But an $18,000 car at $100 month comes out to a 15 year car note. Sounds legit to me. LOL

Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Lot's of desperate people out there.

I recommend you just sell your car to a dealer. Try Carmax.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
The one and only time I sold a car on Craigslist, I had about 50 emails the first 10 minutes the ad was up. I was leaving town the next day, so I just wanted to get rid of it. Let's say it was priced right. Anyway, I just picked a response that seemed like it came from a normal, sane person, and that was that. They brought over the cash and we completed the deal.

Even thought the car was almost free, one guy wanted to take it to his mechanic first.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM

902 posts, read 1,105,774 times
those are fun

most of the ones i have gotten were pretty dull

there is a scam company out there that spams most car sellers offering to sell the car for you and get over asking price really quick with no commission, all they need you to do is wire the the $399 processing fee via western union

then there is the pretty standard "I will pay full price, i will mail you a check from the Bank of Nigeria with an extra $900 to cover shipping, please wire the $900 to my shipper as soon as you get the check" (before it bounces)

that's about it, nothing fun like you got

but i have successfully sold 8 cars on CL, there are a lot of legit buyers on there, be patient, the funny replies aren't costing you a thing so enjoy them and please keep passing them on to us

your car will sell quickly on CL if it is priced at KBB Prviate Party or less and has 10 or 12 great pictures

Last edited by azsportpilot; 01-08-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
I love the email

"What's your best price"
That's it no contact number no hello, no name nothing.
Those I usually respond by adding $100 to my asking price. I never hear back which is fine with me.

Same with the few phone calls. They want to nail down the price before showing up. I simply say I don't make deals over the phone. its funny people don't know what to say when you don't lower your price instantly.

I remember I was selling a old work truck. The service body was worth more. I think I had it listed for $2500. I had people offering me $500. I just laughed. I waited and had a guy call meet my price and conditions with no argument.
Ice sold a few cars on CL. i price them right andcwaitvfirvthe right buyer. They come along quick. The stupid ones. I just ignore.

The best I had was a old 1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max track I had gotten in a trade for some work. I think I was selling it for $500. Guy comes out and starts looking it over and picking it apart. I looked at him and said are you serious it's $500. Ok hang tight. Went over to the next door neighbor, got the dad and kid who was turning 16 and handed the kid the keys. Went back to the guy and said sorry it just sold. Guy was mad. The trade work was about $200 worth of work. Guy gave me the truck which was in good shape needed tires and the grille had a chunk missing

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-08-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
I've learned to always put that I'm NOT interested in any trades. So many people say they don't have all the money, so they'll pay you a couple thousand and will trade you a Playstation, guns, outdoor grill, bedroom furniture, bicycles, lawn mower, etc. I think I've pretty much heard it all.

I remember one guy wanted to trade me three 3000GT/Stealth project cars, not running, for my one pristine Stealth.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I've learned to always put that I'm NOT interested in any trades. So many people say they don't have all the money, so they'll pay you a couple thousand and will trade you a Playstation, guns, outdoor grill, bedroom furniture, bicycles, lawn mower, etc. I think I've pretty much heard it all.

I remember one guy wanted to trade me three 3000GT/Stealth project cars, not running, for my one pristine Stealth.
WHAT? I can't believe you said no to that great trade. Imagine a non running car for THREE junky non running ones. What's wrong with you man? You could have a mishmash Frankenstein to cruise around picking up the ladies.

Yeah I learned to do the not interested in trades also.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,806 times
The off-the-wall emails you can just delete are the easy part. 90 percent of the people who say they are coming to look at the car won't show up. I once had a guy who said he was in his car and would be there in like 10 minutes and he still never showed up. And most of the ones that do show up will make ridiculously low-ball offers, nit-pick about a scratch on your 10 year old car, or say they don't actually have any money.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
The off-the-wall emails you can just delete are the easy part. 90 percent of the people who say they are coming to look at the car won't show up. I once had a guy who said he was in his car and would be there in like 10 minutes and he still never showed up. And most of the ones that do show up will make ridiculously low-ball offers, nit-pick about a scratch on your 10 year old car, or say they don't actually have any money.

I pretty much never meet anyone at my house. It's at the AAA next to my house. I never sell on Sundays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive