Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Just about every state bans texting and driving. It should have the same penalty as driving drunk. Both are preventable and it's a reckless decision to do either.

Highly doubt you will get anyone to disagree that one should not drive while being very tired. Poor defense as it's apparent you are giving the okay to drink and drive.

I'll never get why alcohol is such an acceptable drug only becasue the government says it is. However getting behind the wheel while drugging puts it on another level.

I'd actually like to know more about this in the first post on this thread:
".....after reviewing the paperwork and video..." because it may alter my response...

What is on that video and what did you blow, OP?
The "Revenue Agents for the Government"/the Police, a no-brainer, are out to raise revenue, and the biggest revenue generator of all is DUI's. No money to be made solving burglaries, car thefts, robberies, assaults, so just write up a report on it, and Amen! $1 Billion was collected in traffic fines in Chicago alone, last year, and what happens when self-driving cars make their appearance? Lay off some Revenue Agents? Nah! They'll just turn to bicyclists and pedestrians then, jack that jaywalking fee up to the price of a DUI!

They recently had a heavy police presence here In Las Vegas, Sobriety Checks and all, during Super Bowl. They also do this during Holiday's.

And, meanwhile, Las Vegas has the poorest safety record for pedestrians in the nation, pedestrians being run over inside/outside cross walks, attributed partly to the insane speed limits on our major avenues in this city. 45MPH, and I will give you a reward if you can find any Speedy Gonzalez Las Vegan going 45MPH on those avenues, more like 50-55-60-65MPH!

And yet, this is where they should be doing their saturation patrols, every day of the week!

Ah! But there's not enough money in mere speeding tickets, the big money is with DUI's. $$$$

If I have an accident some day, I know my excessive daydreaming at the wheel will be the culprit! And? Lucky me, unsafe driver that I am, no DUI!

And then there's the other dangerous drivers on the road, catch me if you can! How many times, just in the past year alone, cause of accident: medical episode!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-18-2016 at 02:33 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Why? Why is it "wildly" extreme? Are sovereign nations not allowed to have their own rules? This goes for all KINDS of criminal offences, btw. It all depends on how the crime you commit in whichever country equates to Canadian law. So if you have plans to come up, get yer **** together. If you don't actually think it works the same way when entering the US, you've had your head in the sand for at least 15 years.

Now, when you spout off to the CBSA, they handcuff you and stuff two fingers up your rear for being a loud mouth, THEN you can say they are "wildly extreme".
Also, France has stricter DUI laws than we do. Legal limit is lower, .05 vs .08, .02 for new drivers or commercial drivers vs .04. Fines are higher. 4,500 Euro fine for the first DUI or roughly $5,000. That's just the fine. They even briefly had a law that all drivers had to carry breathalyzers with them. I get that people don't like to have their perceived freedom to drink and drive taken away from them, but we're actually on the lax end with DUI laws.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Come now! How many people in France own/drive a car, with all the mass transit options available? To go out some night in Paris, just to find a parking spot alone!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Higher per capita number of personal vehicles than the US, actually.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Lol no where did I say "everybody does it so it's ok". No where.
All I'm saying is the amount of responses on here where people feel the need to push someone lower when they're already down enough shows their character. It's kind of hilarious in a way but hey, whatever makes you sleep better at night. You obviously do think you're better than the rest of us since you are such a "law abiding citizen". Go do you.
No, I do not think that at all. It's the alcoholics here who think they're better than everyone else. I guess from the tone that that includes you.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM

403 posts, read 363,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No, I do not think that at all. It's the alcoholics here who think they're better than everyone else. I guess from the tone that that includes you.
LOL ok, like I said.. whatever makes you feel good and sleep better at night You don't know me to make assumptions. Oh wait nvm, you totally know me because I got the DUI, so I must be a raging alcoholic. Just like how you've never made a mistake before (or did you? Just never caught) and you must be Saint that is walking on earth.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
LOL ok, like I said.. whatever makes you feel good and sleep better at night You don't know me to make assumptions. Oh wait nvm, you totally know me because I got the DUI, so I must be a raging alcoholic. Just like how you've never made a mistake before (or did you? Just never caught) and you must be Saint that is walking on earth.
I don't know where you're coming up with this Saint walking the earth nonsense. It takes more than not driving DUI to be a saint. I never claimed to be one, so give it a rest. You're depressed because you can't escape the punishment, not because you think you did anything wrong. Maybe it's you who thinks you're the Saint being persecuted?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
To echo a lot of the other sentiments - considering you didn't hurt anyone, it really sucks and I sort of feel bad for you. On the other hand, it's dangerous behavior.

Yeah, the DUI rabbit hole really sucks in this day and age. Costs a LOT of money to deal with it and insurance gets screwed up for a long time, and in some cases there are obviously license issues.

Just move on as best you can and be grateful that you or anyone else didn't get hurt.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM

16 posts, read 11,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why do some think if one had to much to drink on a given occasion that they are an alcoholic? I say those that think such have a problem versus the typical social drinker that did to much socializing. Sipping my drink. Done typing.

After lurking for a while, I've come to notice that any drinking is frowned upon by most on here. They see it as a sign of weakness while they can easily justify their obvious character flaws and narcissism. I saw the morality high horse SWAT team swooping in a mile away right after the first post from the OP in this thread. I wasn't aware that the entire population of Utah was posting on City Data.

The vast majority of even social drinkers have had too much to drink at one time or another. It's not that hard to do. I also see a fair amount of former heavy drinkers on here that get on their high horse propagated by the teachings of the AA Jesusfreaks Association of America and preach how every drinker is a ticking timebomb with a disease and should seek treatment for their sins committed while under the influence. By the way, didn't Jesus turn water into wine? Seems to make the whole religious premise of AA sort of a contradiction, don't it?

At least if I have a few drinks and get behind the wheel of a stolen automobile in GTA V, I know the consequences will be minimal. I can use my M-16 to waste cops, hookers, and people whom I envision to be morbidly obese teetotaler sheeple that use the common buzzphrases "be thankful you didn't kill anybody" and "seek therapy/AA". No breathalyzers or sobriety tests necessary.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How much is the dime? The purpose of a lawyer is (or should be) to make sure you are paying a fair amount for the offense.
Why would the court charge you an unfair amount? They're a court. Maybe I'm naïve though, don't know. In 1989, I paid around $1500 fine, I believe. Can't remember, I used my insurance money to pay it. I crashed my car and got insurance money. In 2009, I paid $1200 fine, paid $100 a month payments. Crashed my car that time too, but didn't have full coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive