Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
These things are a cancer in my town, why do people install something that does nothing for performance?. They sound like a very bad case of diarrhea.

"Also known a fart cannon, a fart can is a resonator attached to the exhaust pipe of a car (typically found on older, grocery-getter hatchbacks) intended to give a high performance exhaust note. However, the sound is almost always best described as a loud, annoying fart (MmmmmmBAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM, repeated with use of the throttle). Also, the exhaust does nothing for performance. The usual person who buys such a useless item is a ricer (synonymous with idiot). You will never, EVER see these on the car of a tuner or a true car enthusiast, as the money that would have been used to buy a fart can, would instead be set aside for actual performance modifications, as per the former and the latter, or set towards a better car, as per the latter".
Urban Dictionary: fart can
They sound like leaf blowers to me, but like someone said this seems to be, fortunately, a fad that has passed and most of these old riced out cars are in the scrap yards and the owners grown up. Finally kids realized that these little Civics are not and will never be fast.

Now a 8 cylinder muscle car, on the other hand, with headers and a large cam - that sound is music to my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Ontario, many of the traffic enforcement patrol cars are equipped with a hand held decibel meter, and they do roadside noise tests, on cars that they stop for other offences. Hold the engine at 3000 rpm for 15 seconds and record the noise level at 20 metres ( 60 feet ) away from the car. The fine for that offence is $250. And two demerit points upon conviction in court.

Some of the other things that will bring a provincial offence notice, bald tires, non standard window tint, any use of blue lights on any part of the car, no seat belt use, over crowded passenger seats, installed nitrous oxide systems. That last one is really expensive, as the charge is laid under the Federal use of chemicals act , and the minimum fine is two thousand dollars, and confiscation of the equipment.

And for the really stupid.............If a driver exceeds the posted speed limit, whatever it is, by more than 30 mph, the fine is....automatic road side vehicle confiscation, a automatic 7 day license suspension, and after being convicted in court the MIMIMUM fine is $5,000. Try getting insurance after being convicted of that offence...!

link to the Ontario traffic law on this.

Driver's Handbook

Jim B.
I wouldn't mind one bit seeing this level of enforcement in the States.

It would put the kibosh on a lot of this "whose is bigger" stupidity.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:27 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Fiat-Chrysler does this too, if you've ever heard the Dart or the 500 Abarth exhaust, it's essentially a factory-added soundtrack, so to speak. In fact, most reviewers seem to note and enjoy how Fiat-Chrysler really seems to know how to do exhaust notes.
and the Dodge 2003-05 Neon SRT-4 which doesn't have mufflers from factory.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
LOL! Your area must be 15 years behind the rest of the country, I rarely see those anymore.
Really? I encounter them seemingly once a month in Indy.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Fiat-Chrysler does this too, if you've ever heard the Dart or the 500 Abarth exhaust, it's essentially a factory-added soundtrack, so to speak. In fact, most reviewers seem to note and enjoy how Fiat-Chrysler really seems to know how to do exhaust notes.
Lots of manufacturers do it. The first was BMW in the M5. Lexus uses it in the LF-A. The GTI has it. The 911 and Panamera use a diaphragm that amplifies the exhaust when in sport mode. The Mustang has exhaust bypasses that allows the exhaust to escape before the muffler.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
There will always be performance oriented folks putting aftermarket exhaust setups on. But the scourge of every other Civic just replacing the muffler for noise seems to have died off.

Replaced by trucks running stacks and "rolling coal".

Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You arent uncorking anything because your flow is still restricted by the catalytic converters. Unless youre chopping those off too...

And it isnt a performance mod, its an attention grab. This is why I respect "sleeper cars." No need for attention, just performance.
You dont know what you are talking about. A cat back or a just a free flowing muffler will increase power. On a POS grocery toter with an engine designed for commuting? Yes. Not much. But it will some. Along with lots of noise.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I agree. And I rarely hear it nowadays in comparison to 10 years ago.

No worse than open T-Tops blaring a bad hair band in the 80s.
Man, that really hurt.

I also rarely hear a fart can nowadays. More loud trucks.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:07 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
They sound like leaf blowers to me, but like someone said this seems to be, fortunately, a fad that has passed and most of these old riced out cars are in the scrap yards and the owners grown up. Finally kids realized that these little Civics are not and will never be fast.

Now a 8 cylinder muscle car, on the other hand, with headers and a large cam - that sound is music to my ears.
Tell that to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GaQZwn8F8

Plenty of 4cyl cars out there are fast, just like plenty of 8 cylinder muscle cars with headers and a large cam can be very slow.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Tell that to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GaQZwn8F8

Plenty of 4cyl cars out there are fast, just like plenty of 8 cylinder muscle cars with headers and a large cam can be very slow.
Yes yes I should have expected this response. OK, let's limit this to what is obviously the topic - street driven and otherwise stock factory cars. Everything else being equal - there is no replacement for displacement. A Honda civic with a CAI and fart pipe is still a slow Honda civic, just louder.

However - indeed, a large cam on an 8 cylinder can actually turn a torquey motor into a dog on the streets. And that 10 second civic? - I didn't read all about it but I would guess you have to launch that at some high RPM's just to get it to move down the track. Impractical for street driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive