Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
this one time at band camp....................

I know. I saw you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
It took quite a while to put together that last post, and now I can't tell whether you chose not to read it, deliberately ignored what I said, or simply couldn't grasp it. Whatever the reason, there's no point in repeating myself. Waste of time and keystrokes.
I did read your post and you seem to imply that the brake checker was justified in doing what they did and that you might've done the same. I disagree with that and especially so when the brake checker in the video had other options available to them to get out of the situation without anyone getting harmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
On a highway 1-2 car length is TONS OF SPACE . I got it.
If you're driving anywhere with moderate to heavy traffic then yes 1-2 car lengths IS a ton of space for you to maneveur into if you have to. Obviously you want as much space as possible between you and any cars behind you when making lane changes, but if that's not possible then you have to work with what's available.

There have been many times driving on highways where I've been going 50-60mph on the highway in fairly heavy traffic and had no choice but to change lanes with cars closer to my rear than I'd like, but all you have to do is just be more careful. I just signal and then make sure the car behind me in the lane that I want to switch to isn't speeding up. If they are accelerating then I let them pass, then I check again to make sure no other cars are following him and then slide in behind him. If that car isn't speeding up, then I just signal and check again that they're still behind me and then I speed up slightly and slowly switch lanes in front of them. Done and done.

Its why I'm saying the brake checker in this video had plenty of space to switch lanes rather than brake so suddenly and cause the car behind him to spin out dangerously.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I did read your post and you seem to imply that the brake checker was justified in doing what they did and that you might've done the same. I disagree with that and especially so when the brake checker in the video had other options available to them to get out of the situation without anyone getting harmed.
Please list all those options.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:41 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Please list all those options.
There are several posts that do that. Did you skip over them?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Please watch the entire video, before jumping to conclusions. The driver did change lanes as soon as possible. The issue was with the tailgater, not with the driver being tailgated. You always have a right to use your brake when driving. It’s the other driver’s repressibility to leave enough space in front of them, so as to not cause a crash when you brake. That’s the law. Deal with it.

Your same advice can be given to the road rage tailgater. They need to CALM THE HELL DOWN AND THINK BEFORE THEY DO IT. Slow down, take their foot off the accelerator, and wait for a chance to pass, or maybe do what I would do, carefully pass them on the right.
SUV was following to closely for the road speed. Fellow may have brake checked. May have depressed the brake pedal for other reasons. Would have happened if it was for road debris or other. SUV was too close for the speed.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-14-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There are several posts that do that. Did you skip over them?
I asked for a simple list, 1. 2. 3. 4., of what options the driver in the video had. Is that really that difficult? Of course it is. Because he had no options. You are all just talking a bunch of BS.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I asked for a simple list, 1. 2. 3. 4., of what options the driver in the video had. Is that really that difficult? Of course it is. Because he had no options. You are all just talking a bunch of BS.
He had several options. You declare he had none, but there were several given earlier in the thread.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
He had several options. You declare he had none, but there were several given earlier in the thread.

Yup..he could have jumped to the right lane like a mad bull was behind him. Otherwise there was no other option really. I find it unbelievable that people would suggest him to move to right lane like en emergency vehicle was behind him and leave the tailgater "just" by saying "Oh yeah he was certainly wrong but (fill 3 paragraphs explaining how the guy in left lane was dead wrong and 'caused' this accident" In this video which is short there is no evidence that guy in left lane was purposely blocking the tailgater or doing the brake check (again light was on just once and could have been because of so many reasons).

Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Yup..he could have jumped to the right lane like a mad bull was behind him. Otherwise there was no other option really. I find it unbelievable that people would suggest him to move to right lane like en emergency vehicle was behind him and leave the tailgater "just" by saying "Oh yeah he was certainly wrong but (fill 3 paragraphs explaining how the guy in left lane was dead wrong and 'caused' this accident" In this video which is short there is no evidence that guy in left lane was purposely blocking the tailgater or doing the brake check (again light was on just once and could have been because of so many reasons).
You think his only option was to brake hard for a second? He had other options. Here's one for those who are incapable of figuring it out. Just keep going and move over when safe to do so.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
You think his only option was to brake hard for a second? He had other options. Here's one for those who are incapable of figuring it out. Just keep going and move over when safe to do so.

How do you know he braked hard? I think you are giving tailgaters too much credit and thinking tailgaters are good at what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive