Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When parking in a parking lot, I prefer to:
Park FRONT END first into the parking spot. 90 64.75%
Park REAR END first into the parking spot. 49 35.25%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
When you begin backing out you can not see what is coming. If you happen to be driving a low car and an SUV or Pick up parks next to you can not see oncoming traffic until you clear the vehicle next to you. Unfortunately many on coming drivers are not looking for back up lights .
I have no problems. My car has a backup camera, 8 inch screen, rear parking sensors and rear cross traffic alert. Maybe you just need a new vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Parking spaces are getting tighter and tighter....most of the people who back in seem to have big SUVs and pickups that already sit up higher...what are they doing besides showing off? And why is it always men? Kinda like they don't trust people or what? Interesting that 2/3 of people back OUT but most comments are from those who back IN.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
I never back in. In parking lots if I back in I notice someone may pull in too close and then I can't get in my trunk, or I'm standing in oil leaks! It's easier for me to just pull in, either way you gotta watch what you're doing! You are still backing in or out either way!

Old 03-05-2016, 05:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Depends.
I back in because it's easier when I leave. But I sometimes do pull forwards. I back up trailers, trucks fork lifts, tractors so I can pretty much park on a dime backing up

Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
I back in because I don't like having to keep checking to make sure no one is going by when I pull out and a lot of people don't know how to park correctly so regardless of how someone has parked, it's not a problem for me when I back in vs if I pulled in I would end up hitting their mirror trying to get out.

Also I want to be able to see inside my car before I get in. It makes me feel safer since I often travel alone and park in garages. Also I love being able to just pull out instead of backing out into traffic and I can drive good so it doesn't take me all day to back in, I zoom in and I'm parked, however when I trade my Lexus and get a Mercedes GLE, I'll pull in because it comes with a backup camera unless some idiot has incorrectly parked forcing me to have to back in instead.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Parking in a parking lot: Do you go in head first or rear first?

I'm old enough that I like to do everything the easy way.

In a parking lot I look for a space that I can pull straight into and then drive straight out of. And if it's the lot for a big box store or supermarket, I always try to avoid creeping past the front door and having to dodge all the pedestrians.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I back in because in an emergency it's far safer to pull out seeing oncoming traffic if any .
And in a car loading the trunk you not risking traffic while loading.
If I am at Home depot or lowes and have the truck and picking up something that needs to go in the bed, then I use the provided area for loading .
Its just common sense.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I back in because in an emergency it's far safer to pull out seeing oncoming traffic if any .
And in a car loading the trunk you not risking traffic while loading.
How do you get the shopping cart down between the cars with only a foot of room? Do you risk banging your bags and the like on other people's cars going between them to get to your trunk? Do you have to leave the shopping cart out in traffic while you carry one bag at a time back to the trunk? Common sense? I think not.

In 38 years of driving, I've never been in danger loading my trunk or hatch (depending on car) with it nosed into a parking space. Never. It's simply less convenient to back into a space that you're going to be loading up in. For you and everyone around you.

And what emergency are you anticipating having to leave the space in a hurry? Even at home, if I have to leave in a hurry it takes literally 2 seconds longer to back out and then go forward, instead of going forward the entire way. I don't think that 2 seconds is going to matter in the bigger picture.

I mean, do what you want, just don't use easily refutable excuses as to why you're doing it that way.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:58 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
How do you get the shopping cart down between the cars with only a foot of room? Do you risk banging your bags and the like on other people's cars going between them to get to your trunk? Do you have to leave the shopping cart out in traffic while you carry one bag at a time back to the trunk? Common sense? I think not.
If you only got a foot of room between your cars then somebody screwd up. And if that is the case, I'd go down the other side of the car which would probably have several feet between them, unless someone else screwd up as well. And really, to each is own, but is it really that difficult to carry your bags a few yards? I just usually pile them in the front or back seats. works for me! I really can't think of a time in my life I'd been inconvenienced by having to go to the trunk if I was backed in.

But, does it really matter? Park like you want. Makes no difference really. We all have our reasons for doing the things we do. And for every one that wants to park one way for their reason, there is somebody else, such as me, we might just do it another way for our own reasons! Whatever works for us!

Old 03-06-2016, 12:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In a lot front first, but I find a space with no car in front and "pull through" which is the same effect as backing in. In a parking garage I always back in.
Definitely the best way, and one of the first things I always taught my students. If you're backing into a parking space, you know it's safe because you just drove past it 3 seconds ago and visually cleared it. If you're backing out of a space, by the time you get into your car, start it, buckle up, and turn to look over your shoulder, every single thing that you visually checked before getting into the car may have changed. There could be a vehicle coming from your left at 15 MPH that wasn't even in the parking lot yet when you got into your car. Some kid could have gotten out of a car 4 spaces down and be directly behind you, but below your line of vision. Anything can happen.

But if you are pulling forward out of your parking space, you have complete visual command of everything in front of you and coming from either side. It is by far the safest. I never, ever put myself in a position where I am going to have to back out of a parking space. Backing in and pulling out by going forward is always, without exception, the safer option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive