Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:08 AM

256 posts, read 453,200 times

Advertisements

While looking for a new(er) vehicle this last couple days with intention on buying two weeks from now, I have noticed some people use KBB while others use NADA.

Personally KBB has always been used when selling personal vehicles and adjust form there based on what I would pay for it. Which means my asking price is typically under KBB for quick sells. However, I noticed some people want top dollar for their junk.

Example: Recently looking at two 2006 Honda Ridgeline's, one was listed right at KBB, and the other was listed top end NADA for the same vehicle. The price difference was significant, roughly $3,000 difference. With the higher mileage truck being most expensive.

How do you handle a situation like this, without coming across as a low balling *******? Don't want to be rude, but the asking price is close to dealer asking prices with 1/3 the mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I just simply make my offer. I'm willing to pay X amount given the condition of the vehicle I see front of me. Due to X miles and condition it's worth X to me. If the guy feels I'm lowballing he is more than welcome to make a counteroffer or go on his way and try selling to someone else.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Offer what you feel comfortable paying. This is a business transaction, you are not dealing with a friend. There is no need to worry about offending someone. If their price is to high, the vehicle will not sell.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I look at both and average the numbers.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I just simply make my offer. I'm willing to pay X amount given the condition of the vehicle I see front of me. Due to X miles and condition it's worth X to me. If the guy feels I'm lowballing he is more than welcome to make a counteroffer or go on his way and try selling to someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Offer what you feel comfortable paying. This is a business transaction, you are not dealing with a friend. There is no need to worry about offending someone. If their price is to high, the vehicle will not sell.
These two get it. Offer what you feel the car is worth. As long as you're being reasonable no one is going to be offended. If the salesman gets chipper with you, turn around and walk out. If they don't know how to conduct business in a courteous and polite manner, then they don't deserve your business.

Too many people walk into a car dealership expecting a battle. It's simply a negotiable business deal. There's no reason either side should be rude about it or offended by it.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
You could look at the same age, mileage truck and 10 different dealerships and find 10 different asking prices, which will be all over the map.

You can use KBB, NADA, Edmunds, black book, and/or whatever other resources to try and determine a fair purchase price. If you run them all, you will also see the prices do vary, and sometimes very significantly.

Ultimately, as has been said, you need to be comfortable and happy with the price your paying. For example, if the worst condition truck you find has the highest asking price... so what? If you think it is worth $3000 less, then offer them $3000 less. The worst that happens is that they say "no."

Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I look at both, along with asking prices on local craigslist ads as well as finished Ebay auctions, and then come up with a educated offer to make.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Neither one has anything to do with the real prices... They are both independent opinions by each company....

Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Neither one has anything to do with the real prices... They are both independent opinions by each company....
It has been my experience in the past that insurance companies would rely heavily on NADA Black Book values, in determining the value of vehicle that has suffered a loss, due to damage or theft.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:22 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
KBB and NADA are almost worthless for determining what a car is worth.

Banks, dealers etc don't use it. Well dealers like to toss it out there when they are trying to sell you a vehicle for top dollar. Ask them about it when your trading something in and you will get laughed out of there.

If I am trying to determine a used car price I start with how much the MSRP was when it sold then reduce that by 20% for the first year of use and 15% for each additional year. So if I am looking at a 4 year old car that sold for $30K then I my starting price is going to be about $15K.

Then I look at cars.com and autotrader.com and search nation wide for that year model and the year model newer. After looking through the prices for a bit you will notice that you can find some reliable price points where there are a large number for sale. Say for this car here you might see a few for $13.5K and maybe a couple dozen at $14.5K then several hundred at $15K. Usually what you will see is that a large number become available around 10% higher than our $15K estimate. So thats gonna be $16.5K. That would confirm your original price and you should be trying to find a dealer that gonna meet that price of $15K.

I don't personally like to use craigslist as I see too many people who refuse to accept the fact that a car is a rapidly depreciating asset. And lots of scammy dealers like to post stupid predatory prices from buy here pay here lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive