Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM

242 posts, read 493,649 times

Advertisements

As strange as this might sound, I live in Los Angeles and I do not own a car. Do not need one for my daily routine, live in a walkable neighborhood, next to public transit, and since I tend to drink when I go out for social activities, I use uber/lyft (which I will continue to do). I actually have a parking spot that sits empty! Finally time to get a car.

I am looking for a hatchback so that I can easily load things such as bicycles. The car is just for myself, so I do not need a big car, but I do not want a small car either. Basically looking for a really big hatchback. A lot of the compact crossovers really do not add much cargo length wise (2 dimensions), just volume wise (3 dimensions), which is not what I need. And sometimes not even that. For example. the Mazda CX3 has less cargo space than the Mazda3. You are basically paying $3K more for 3 more inches of clearance. No thanks.

Since I do not need a car normally, I am going to buy used/certified (2013-2015). Money is not much of an issue, but I do not want to spend $$$ on something that I use mainly on weekends. Would buy older, but I do not want to deal with mechanics (unless someone can recommend something).

Cars that come to mind are the Mazda3 and Golf. Rented an Elantra which I did not like.

In short:
* hatchback
* big as possible, without being an SUV (aka not a gas guzzler)
* used
* reliable (doesn't everyone want this?)
* not luxury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
outback comes to mind. Toyota venza? Many companies make a wagon type hatch.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I recently went through such a search for a fun city commuter in a hatch.

The GTI I had was my favorite vehicle I owned...despite the fact that it was at the shop so often coworkers started making "got a loaner again, eh?" comments.

This latest round I was heavily leaning toward the '15 Golf which was the one I enjoyed driving the most. Also very fuel efficient and just a cheap tune away from sports car performance. But my prior VW experience was nagging me.

I liked the drive of the Mazda3 as well but the fit was just not there for me(I'm 6'7).

Veloster Turbo - Another fun drive. But the interior looked like it was designed by a 12 year old boy.

Ford Focus ST - Same issue with the interior looks and fitment. The MyFord Touch system is a mess.

Impreza Hatch - Sloooooooow

Mini Cooper - Absolute blast to drive, but scared off by bottom rung reliability ratings

Nissan Juke - Too top heavy, no confidence in the corners. Interior smaller than hatchbacks.

Honda CR-Z - Didn't fit. Very cramped interior and trunk.

I ended up buying a '15 Kia Forte5 SX. Very spacious, significantly bigger than the Mazda3 for cargo and total interior volume. Even bigger interior than many crossovers/compact suvs. 1.6l turbo with low end grunt. Also available without a turbo for better mileage. Classy well thought out and organized interior. Good visibility. Some upscale features like power folding mirrors standard which comes in handy parking in tight spots or even just every day in the garage. Adjustable steering feel with Sport/Normal/Comfort settings. Averaging 29-30mpg out of it with city/suburb driving. Top trim but got it under $18k with their 10 year warranty.

My only complaints so far have been the poor traction of the stock tires and that they don't have an independent rear suspension, but that's rare at this price point. $160 on an aftermarket rear torsion bar helps significantly. But if you're not a spirited driver you likely wouldn't notice anyway.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Station wagon- SUV size space without SUV running costs.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Station wagon- SUV size space without SUV running costs.
That would be my first choice, too. Practical, bike-friendly, useful, cute-as-a-button, and efficient.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM

I would not mind a mini wagon. VW makes the Jetta as a wagon, which is better MPG than their SUVs. I am "only" 6'1" (I guess 6'3" since many lie about their height), so I can fit in most non-sports cars.

I did test drive a Forte. Just on city blocks, not on a highway. Decent. Eyeballing it, the cargo space seemed similar to the Golf. The dealer did not have any used hatchbacks. Directed me toward the Soul, which is fugly.

Subarus tend to be more expensive and the AWD feature really helps out in the snow. I moved to CA years ago to get away from the snow. Haven't seen snowfall in years and I hope it will be many more before I see it again. Are Subarus still worth it if I never go offroad? Perhaps the occasional park road while camping, but any car with clearance can handle those.

Looked at a Focus at a dealer, did not drive it.. The rear seat could not go all the way down. Pass.

Mini Cooper wagon still seems small. Not sure about the Juke.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Actually, two replies about station wagons came in while typing my last comment. Who makes a "mini" wagon. As I stated before, VW makes one, but the dealer did not have any new or used. I would assume used wagons will be harder to find.

And I was wrong about the model. The Golf line has the wagon, not Jetta. Seems like a winner so far.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 03-09-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
The Golf Sportwagen could be a good pick if you like the Golf but want even more space but they're a rare bird you would likely have to buy new and hunt for it.

The Kia Soul is apparently classed a wagon. That would likely be worth a test drive for you as well. Little reason to buy used unless you want it loaded out with options. New they are as low as $12,900.

A prior gen Scion xB is likely worth a drive too.

To get a bigger wagon you're then jumping into the likes of Volvo, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. With an outlier here or there like the Ford Flex. But they've all got SUV like gas mileage.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'm a former VW owner who was one of the folks burned by the unreliability of the brand. Could not recommend the Golf based on that.

If it's only one bike, a sedan with split back seats that fold down and a heavy canvas drop cloth to prevent bike gore from getting on things works quite well. It's what we used to do to get to triathlons in the Passat.

I'm a big Subaru fan but have to admit the Impreza hatch is somewhat underpowered. If you're willing to go up to the Outback/Legacy zone (fold down the back seats of the Legacy and there's tons of space) the 2.5 CVT set-up is actually pretty zippy in recent model years. One underrated aspect of Subaru's AWD system is that is corners nicely and numbly at speed.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:40 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Kidding me?

It's called Prius V. My son fits large bike into a Civic TRUNK. You'll fit A LOT into Prius esp with rear seats down. Otherwise, it fits all of your bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive