Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:11 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Yeah tough guy you get em!

Did you notice how the Caddy doesn't even fit in one space....I bet that makes you madddddddd Internet tough guy
I wouldn't key the car or call the owner names, but he does have a point being annoyed by the rolls owner double parking. I can't stand people doing that. At least the caddy owner made the effort to park that tank properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:01 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I wouldn't key the car or call the owner names, but he does have a point being annoyed by the rolls owner double parking. I can't stand people doing that. At least the caddy owner made the effort to park that tank properly.
It's not a double park - just someone who can't park. Common here with SUVs and soccer moms. A correct double park is diagonal (and should be done in the absolute back of the lot)

Nice cars - both of them!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My buddy has a Rolls like the one in the ops pic, although it looks to be in good shape its been a garage queen for the last 5 years as theres always something wrong with it,i think he takes it out of his garage and just parks it in his driveway once in a while, i think it feeds his ego.
**** poor parking job in the ops pic.
I do think ego plays a big part. If I won a big lotto jackpot, I would probably buy a car like that Rolls. Just to see how it drives. I prefer Cadillacs, but who would not have a big ego after winning something like $20 million? Most likely, I would not have the Rolls for long-term use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Well, that Rolls does not have protective side trim to prevent door dings, so I can see why he parked like that. I usually park my limo farther down the parking lot but I wanted to get a photo of it next to the RR.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I do think ego plays a big part. If I won a big lotto jackpot, I would probably buy a car like that Rolls. Just to see how it drives. I prefer Cadillacs, but who would not have a big ego after winning something like $20 million? Most likely, I would not have the Rolls for long-term use.

Well, that Rolls does not have protective side trim to prevent door dings, so I can see why he parked like that. I usually park my limo farther down the parking lot but I wanted to get a photo of it next to the RR.
Doesn't matter. Don't be a douche. I'm not one to ever touch another person's car but this guy is asking for it.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,773 times
I noticed the Rolls was improperly parked as well. It's such a nice car I'd cut the driver some slack.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
I have had several opportunities to purchase Silver Spurs, Silver Shadows, Silver Spirits over the years locally. All for under $15k easily.
There was a guy with a gold one who couldn't unload it even at $4k along the 2-way highway on which he lived.

I wouldn't really want one, only one "Import dealer" here who MIGHT be able to work on it, who specializes in the oddities of imported autos, Like Fiats, etc. He sells regular imports too, as bread and butter money makers, like you;d find on any other car lot {Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishis, etc}.

WHile I can't physically work on my vehicles anymore, I'd still want a car that had a dealer handy to work on. Mercedes has a used dealer who specializes in them, but no mew dealer around here. Never know when I'd get into trouble working on the RR and not being able to take it to the dealer and pay the $150/hr "you worked on it first" labor rate instead of the regular rate wouldn't be beneficial to me.

I'd LIKE to have one and the bumper sticker to say "my other car really is a Rolls", but practicality weighs in.

BTW for those who have never experienced one, they aren't really big cars at all, they are rather midsized at best. They DO come in L or R hand dive models over here, and they can be fussy I guess to work on, and get right. They arena't really all that impressive over some of our luxury cars of days of old. I'd rather have had my {late} Grandmother's last Caddy, a 1983 Sedan De Ville, in brown with crushed velour seats. Much better looking car,and much to MOH [my Other Half}'s chagrin, have been searching for one like it to buy up here in the Great WHite North. Wish I had had the money to buy or been able to have spoken up when grandmother died, but alas I couldn't travel {air} to the funeral as I was to ill at the time. Had I been there, I don't think my aunt to whom it was left would have minded if I had it, she didn't want it and it was sold and the money used to help settle Grandmother's ample estate. SHe probably would have given it to me!

*sigh* thank you for this stroll down amnesia lane....

Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
After shopping at Ralph's supermarket I walked over to a bank in the same parking lot. When I got back to my car, I noticed a Roll-Royce pulling in and parking. I have seen it before.

Fortunately, I was driving one of my Cadillacs (1976 Limousine) so I parked near the Rolls and took these photos. Maybe someday I will see the owner and we can admire each other's cars.

What do you mean, "Fortunately, I was driving one of my Cadillacs........?" What difference does it make what kind of car you were driving? You could be riding a kid's tricycle and park next to the Rolls if you wanted!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:44 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Motherf@ker took 2 spots.

Would have keyed that fer.

While I agree with you and people who take 2 spots to park, I would let this one go because this car is a classic and so nice. If in some dream I owned that car, I would also take up 2 spots since people are so inconsiderate and so "dense" that people park so close and swing their doors open without a care in the world and possibly door dinging the next door car.

To the OP, thanks for posting that picture! Nice to look at!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
I noticed the Rolls was improperly parked as well. It's such a nice car I'd cut the driver some slack.
I honestly don't see the big deal at all.

If you park up close where everyone is parking or the parking lot is too small and people can't find a place to park, sure. That's not the case. It's parked far enough out nobody else is parking there anyway. It's just busybodies craning their necks so to speak who have an issue with that. I didn't personally do it and just parked further out when I had cars I really cared if they got door dinged or people ran into trying to get into a parking space.

Particularly when I had a beater car I liked to go up to people that parked taking up two places in the front and squeeze in next to them, sometimes inches away. I'd do it on their passenger door and either back in or just hop across and get out the passenger side door so they could still get in. Even if someone's a dick I wouldn't resort to keying their car or something so childish, but I would park my dented up beater close enough to give them a scare.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
That looks like a bad parking job, to be sure, but an otherwise nice shot of the vintage automobiles. My grandparents had Silver Shadows and Wraiths, and the Wraith II that they had from 1980 was actually not bad, from what I remember as a child. It never had a breakdown, but Mercedes and Volvo were the daily drivers, and the Rollers were always treated with kid gloves when they left the garage, i.e., moderate speed, moderate temperatures, as it was a car in which one would arrive, not a driver's car by any stretch. Things got a little better with the Silver Spur, in terms of reliability, but the Silver Seraph, with BMW technology, really changed the game for Rolls and brought the company current in terms of engineering. The Seraph was a car that was easily driven daily, and didn't have the same The Silver Shadow II and Silver Wraith II had improved handling over the original Silver Shadow from the 1960s, and IIRC it was 1977 when the II was introduced.

I knew a guy with a Shadow II that had a conversion, and I want to say it was a small block Chevrolet V8 as was used in a Jaguar, and that greatly improved the reliability of the drive train. Properly restored, the cars are basically re-manufactured. Recently, I came across a Wraith II for sale that was nearly identical to the one I remembered from childhood, and the guy wanted to sell it to me for $20k. However, it was in original condition as purchased from his father-in-law, who owned it from new, so it had likely had repairs to keep on the road, but needed a full restoration, and I didn't feel like tackling the project, since I could get a more modern Roller for about the same as I'd be into the Silver Wraith II, though for a rolling classic, it does have presence.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive