Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM

354 posts, read 775,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nothing was said about the left lane - that's your obsession, and a not too effective red herring. I don't have a problem with speeding. I do have a problem with trying to deny responsibility for the consequences of your own choices and actions, which is pretty much what calling it a speed trap (or complaining that you got a speeding ticket because the speed limit is too low or it's all about revenue generation) does.
How does calling it a speed trap deny responsibility? The definition is pretty clear. And you are just nitpicking for the sake of it, as my post has nothing to do with blame or consequences. Even the word "trap" on its own means "something by which one is caught or stopped unawares; " - which I think is pretty accurate. I'm not interested in getting involved in your arguments from other threads. If you have something to add that's relevant to my original post, I would love to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:53 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Would you shut up about this already. We get it. You don't like people that move faster than you do.

Speed traps are places where intentionally lower speeds are set in order to create situations where normal citizens are converted to criminals for the purposes of revenue generation.
that is a much better description than the dictionary uses

Old 03-30-2016, 11:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,429 times
Quote:
Nothing was said about the left lane - that's your obsession, and a not too effective red herring. I don't have a problem with speeding. I do have a problem with trying to deny responsibility for the consequences of your own choices and actions, which is pretty much what calling it a speed trap (or complaining that you got a speeding ticket because the speed limit is too low or it's all about revenue generation) does.

.... anyway, back on track. I've never heard of cops leaving finger prints on cars. I learn something new every day!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
You have stated before you drive in the left lane even when getting passed on the right lol. Maybe you forgot.

The op asked about the thumb print. They didn't come here trying to get out of a ticket. Please read it again.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
.... anyway, back on track. I've never heard of cops leaving finger prints on cars. I learn something new every day!
If you watch Cops tv show you will see the cop touch the car most times when walking up on it.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Would you shut up about this already. We get it. You don't like people that move faster than you do.

Speed traps are places where intentionally lower speeds are set in order to create situations where normal citizens are converted to criminals for the purposes of revenue generation.
You have to love it when someone goes off on a tangent on something that isn't even germane to the subject at hand. Maybe you misspell a word, or miss a necessary comma, the entire world comes crashing down for them....lol.

We may have Puff's tissues in the house, but I still ask for a Kleenex typically....lol. Perhaps my wife should start yelling at me next time about my stupidity and lack of accuracy in speaking.

Everyone knows what a speed trap is when someone mentions it. A trap is something that gets you when you least suspect it. Everyone who drives knows you occasionally see a cop hiding behind a billboard, a grove of trees, behind a freeway overpass support, around a blind curve, just over the crest of a hell, just waiting to snag you for speeding. Yes, I was speeding, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a speed trap for gods sake.

If it's not a trap, why do they hide the squad car ? Answer that one :-)

Speed trap example....Searchlight Nevada. Perhaps it's changed, but many years ago I clearly remember the speed limit went from 75 mph to 25 mph in a very short distance. I'd guess the town budget committee loves that 25 mph speed limit....lol.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
My father had a very strange interaction with a state trooper today, here in NY. Was wondering if anyone here had an idea of what this may have been.

He's driving on an interstate (I-684), and was speeding a bit, maybe going 75 in a 65. Passes a trooper and gets pulled over. The cop walks up to his car and tells my father he was doing 89 MPH, which isn't possible. My father barely speeds, and he would never go that fast. His car is also an old Prius - can they even go that fast??

Anyway, he takes my father's license and goes back to his car. Sits there a while, and my father says it looked like he wasn't really doing much of anything. He finally gets out, and as he's walking back to my father's car, he takes his thumb and distinctively leaves a print, or mark of some kind on my dad's rear windshield. He gives my dad back his license and says today is your lucky day, and lets him off without a ticket or anything.

There were a few other cars pulled over as well..one was a Hyundai, and he also got off without a ticket.

I'm wondering if they were looking for someone specific. But we're really curious what the whole deal with the thumb print was. Has anyone ever seen this before?
It looks like they're not doing anything but they're actually entering dads info into the dashboard computer thing. He was probably checking to see if dad had any outstanding warrants.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times
I never noticed the fingerprint thing either, and I've been pulled over at least 8 times!

I'm guessing the effectiveness of that technique is somewhat diminished if you immediately wash the car...

Old 03-30-2016, 01:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You have stated before you drive in the left lane even when getting passed on the right lol. Maybe you forgot.

The op asked about the thumb print. They didn't come here trying to get out of a ticket. Please read it again.
Nope, I absolutely have not. Go ahead, find even ONE place where I've ever said that. What I've said is that I don't drive in the left lane except to pass or to exit let, and I enjoy watching the speed addicts zooming on by to get caught by cops I know are up ahead (not lurking, just patrolling) and suffer the consequences of their own actions.

And, yes, it really is interesting about the thumb prints, makes all sorts of sense even in this high tech age.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
It looks like they're not doing anything but they're actually entering dads info into the dashboard computer thing. He was probably checking to see if dad had any outstanding warrants.
That's what I've seen them doing when driving by someone who's been stopped. It's not really obvious but they do check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive