Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times

Advertisements

I have a machined Al rim in which some calcium chloride solution from a bad tractor tire valve stem sprayed onto the rim. I think it has been on there for several months, to the point where a calcium deposit has been left on several spots on the rim surface. It does appear to have attacked the clear coat and probably the Al itself. So far it seems I can only remove the deposit mechanically, I tried CLR with no success, perhaps I should let it soak a while longer but then the Al may get damaged from that.

I was thinking about just restoring the rim but it seems a little trickier due to the machined surface which I would like to preserve. Several demonstrations show people stripping clear coat and then wetsanding with 400G and working up to 2000G, then performing a polish.

Does anyone have experience restoring machined aluminum (maintaining the machine marks) or even removing deposits from calcium chloride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
I performed that process on aluminum rims, the spoked ends of which are machine polished. Unfortunately upon using automotive paint remover on the clear coat, I discovered the rims were never polished to begin with. What is called white rust by detailers had hidden this fact. So I embarked upon polishing aluminum with a dremel and special designed polishing attachments containing silicone. That would have taken about 10 hours, per rim. I then tried a polishing wheel plus compound, same results.

I can attest that automotive paint remover and wet sanding will do the job and make those rims look better. However, I'm still painting mine as opposed to spending 40 hours holding a rotary tool.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Thanks Sun. Yeah my goal would be to clear up the deposits and corrosion, give the surface a quick polish (not mirror, as I will still have lathe marks) and then respray the clear coat.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
It may take multiple applications of the remover, removing the wheel from vehicle helps via gravity. I left aircraft brand(preferring a brush-on so I didn't have to mask tires)remover on for an hour, but there was also powder coat on my rims under the corroded clear.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Wheeler Dealers did it the "right" way on a Honda S2000. They stripped them and had them re-machined. Not something for most people but it was pretty cool to see.

I'm not sure if the episode is online somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive