Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:19 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I don't understand the second part. He pulled you over thinking you were going 113 when you proved you were going 60?
One of two things:

1. Bad radar read due to construction vehicles (bulldozers/dump trucks etc)
2. 2nd car really going that fast slows down, he sees my M3 in the distance and continues pursuit resulting in the stop. Judge saw different facts.

Reality is: have I gone 113+.....absolutely but I wasn't that day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
I've driven this stretch 100's of times, it's thick secluded forest, but trees are cut back aways on each side and no trees in the middle so you can see a ton. It's very easy to fly down the 20 miles it stretches as not many cars use it.
Not true at all - many cars DO use it, more so than the scenic section of Hwy 61. Many want the benefits of that expressway. Plus, this happened at 6:50 P.M. which is hardly a quiet time.

I used to live in Silver Bay for many years and also traveled that stretch of highway "100s of times". It is popular for people who travel daily between Duluth and the shore, as well as for visitors to the area.

Oh, and I think the speeding guy is a big a**hole!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I wish it was me driving.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I've always believed that if you want to go that fast in a straight line, buy a plane and get a pilots license.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
They can in Canada.....30+ over and they can confiscate the car
'Nanny State'

Old 04-15-2016, 03:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If your doing 170 I would think that by the time he ever got going you would be long gone. Most cop cars only run 140-150ish. Of course it depends what they are driving. But even if they are driving a hemi charger it would take some time to get up to that speed to catch them.
Radios outrun cars.
f5 and I live in an area where the interstate isn't very crowded and the speed limit is 80.
I've watched more than one 100+ speed head zoom past a cop, only to be busted 15 miles up the road by a second patrolman.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Radios outrun cars.
f5 and I live in an area where the interstate isn't very crowded and the speed limit is 80.
I've watched more than one 100+ speed head zoom past a cop, only to be busted 15 miles up the road by a second patrolman.

Yes, radios do out run cars. But I have to wonder if depending on the time of day if one is able to tell what kind of car it is let alone read the tags. Your sitting still & someone flies past you at 170 plus I don't think it would be so easy to see what it was.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes, radios do out run cars. But I have to wonder if depending on the time of day if one is able to tell what kind of car it is let alone read the tags. Your sitting still & someone flies past you at 170 plus I don't think it would be so easy to see what it was.
That's very true, but a lot depends on the countryside. Out here, it's very easy to see far down the road almost all the time. A typical cruise on I-15 allows a vista westward that a person can easily see mountains almost 100 miles away.
In other areas, not so much.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
I've driven this stretch 100's of times, it's thick secluded forest, but trees are cut back aways on each side and no trees in the middle so you can see a ton. It's very easy to fly down the 20 miles it stretches as not many cars use it.
So... not many cars use a stretch of freeway that is congested? You know, it's four lanes in the first place for that stretch because of the high usage.

Quote:
The Minnesota Department of Transportation is considering a plan to relieve traffic congestion on state Highway 61 through Two Harbors.
MnDOT proposes changes to Highway 61 in Two Harbors | Duluth News Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
'Nanny State'

The inane phrase 'nanny state' refers to laws that protect people from themselves (do you really need the 'nanny' part of the phrase explained to you?). Harsh penalties for going 106 mph over the speed limit are not there to protect the emotionally-stunted overgrown juveniles doing the speeding, but the rest of the people on the road.

Or is 'nanny state' now just short for 'Wah! I don't like that law!' ? (pretending for a moment that that isn't how it has always been used, really)

Old 04-16-2016, 03:57 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So... not many cars use a stretch of freeway that is congested? You know, it's four lanes in the first place for that stretch because of the high usage.

MnDOT proposes changes to Highway 61 in Two Harbors | Duluth News Tribune

The inane phrase 'nanny state' refers to laws that protect people from themselves (do you really need the 'nanny' part of the phrase explained to you?). Harsh penalties for going 106 mph over the speed limit are not there to protect the emotionally-stunted overgrown juveniles doing the speeding, but the rest of the people on the road.

Or is 'nanny state' now just short for 'Wah! I don't like that law!' ? (pretending for a moment that that isn't how it has always been used, really)
Congestion and high use to you and I are very different. More cars drive past where I live in Roseville on 35W in an hour then drive the expressway stretch this guy was on all day, thus being able to achieve that speed.

Last edited by wamer27; 04-16-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive